• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C220 (W203) running cooler?

omega1

Car
E400d 2019 4matic (C238)
Hi all,

My car (C220 W203) seems to be running cooler than normal (not now specifically with the cold weather, just got round to posting this), accodring to the temperate dash gauge, its running all the time at 60C which, as far as I know, is slightly cooler than I would expect?

Not sure if related, but my fuel economy seems to have dropped slightly too.

Anyone know what, under normal motorway driving (70MPH) the temperature should be at?

Thanks

Yeah, thought i remember hearing it should be around 80C.

Can a technical (but not mechanical) person change it, any indication of where/how much?

Would this also cause the lower fuel economy?

Thanks

Yes, it's a relatively straight forward job. Thermostat best bought from MB - you will get a new housing, seal, stat and temp guage sensor. Prices vary but look between £25-£45.

The engine is designed optimally to work at >80c so yes, fuel economy can suffer

Thanks, one more, will it need setting up or work 'out of the box'? thanks

It is a mechanical device so will work instantaneously! (kind of!)

You'll probably need some spare coolant too, if you don't manage to save what you'll spill!

A litre should do

It's an easy job - just be aware of fuel lines (can be brittle, especially in this weather)

And don't over-tighten the connections!

With the help of these instructions, my village garage changed my thermostat (which I bought from MB Ashford) for £40 CIH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom