C63 buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mad evo

Interested in a c63 as my next car, currently driving a 335i and looking to up the ante a bit with a v8.

Have considered purchasing a new coupe c63 currently the best price I can get is 51k base price which works out around 8% discount off list.

A little reluctant to order new with only an 8% discount as the hit I will take will be too great.

Basically I do not require to change straight away, I am happy to wait until next year if I have to for the right car/deal.

What I want to know really is the differences between the 2011 facelift saloon 63/coupe and c63 saloon model year 2008-2010.

I know the interior has changed and bumpers etc but my main concern is the new gearbox in the 2011 cars. I have heard various things about this box compared to the old one. Some say its twin clutch some say its not. Is it really worth buying a 2011 model car ie a new order just for the new gearbox? Is it that much better?

I have found some 2009 model cars for around 39-42k. Various spec some inc performance pack and some without. So it's a considerable saving over buying new (at least 55k with performance pack plus and lsd- more with command).

Another key point for me is mercedes warranty so the car cannot be more than 2 years old ideally with a year of warranty remaining and ability for me to extend.

Is the performance pack really needed? I know a kleeman tune can take these cars to over 500hp, granted without the upgraded internals but assuming that many have tuned their standard non pp cars to well over 500 it doesn't seem very important to me?

Lsd is another problem, most used examples don't have one. Again is this something mercedes will retrofit for me to keep warranty intact?

Any advice from current owners would be great, I know the running costs are brutal but I'm game with that. 10mpg here I come.

I suspect the coupe is being discounted because the saloon is a better buy. Not impressed by the standard (non C63AMG) coupes I've seen in the flesh. Small interior, large footprint on the exterior........

If you can get a discount and decent finance on a new one (doubt you'll get both), then I suspect you're better off going new - so you're looking at delivery of a saloon from maybe October. Look up the thread on Comand Online and how the Japanese Tsunami has affected components. You'll also need to get some winter tyres (else you wont use it enough!). Plenty of info on here on that - just search.

Mine has the LSD specified for reasons already stated on here in another thread. Lots of confusion out there between 2008-2010 for LSD, so if used, get evidence of the spec (must say AMG Differential Lock) before viewing if it is a must-have.

PS: I wouldn't recommend retro-fitting the LSD, warranty or not. It has to have been a factory option, and you must check the car ws run in properly with differential oil changed at the right time if it'll be a keeper.

Last edited:
Hmm, I can't find which gearbox it uses.

The old C63AMG from 2007 uses the 7G which is a regular torque converter auto so I would have guessed the new C63 would also come with this box. I would have thought this would have been reserved for the upper models.

However, from your use of the word 'new', my guess is it might come with MCT (AMG Speedshift MCT / MCT-7 etc.).

This is basically a 7G gearbox, but without the torque converter. Instead it uses single wet clutch. Multiple clutch is talking about those on the gear bands.

I'd be interested to try this gearbox as I understand the changes are very fast.

I think only you can answer whether it is worth having as I think gearbox choice is a subjective individual thing.

Last edited:
My C63 2500 miles 2010/60 with PPP & LSD plus all the other goodies you could possibly want is for sale! If your interested just PM me and I can forward all the details to you. You will be hard pushed to find a better example.

My C63 2500 miles 2010/60 with PPP & LSD plus all the other goodies you could possibly want is for sale! If your interested just PM me and I can forward all the details to you. You will be hard pushed to find a better example.

Hi it won't let me send pm's yet as my post count is not high enough. What colour is the car?

Just Google the reviews of the new C63 coupe on UK magazines to find everything you need.

The 2011 cars have new bumpers with DRLs and different headlights, and a revised dashboard. Gearbox is MCT wet clutch.

S

The facelifted C63 and C63 coupe are not on the website yet. I am amazed that they are offering an 8% discount on a car that is not even on the configerator yet.
Is this from a Merc dealer or is it a car broker?

The facelifted C63 and C63 coupe are not on the website yet. I am amazed that they are offering an 8% discount on a car that is not even on the configerator yet.
Is this from a Merc dealer or is it a car broker?

I'm amazed too.....

Saw my third new C Coupe in the flesh this week. Now seen them in silver, white and red in different showrooms. It looked best in red IMO (not a fan of red MBs except on the older SLs).

You can test-drive the current E63 to get a feel for the gearbox. It shifts much faster, but not sure this is that noticeable in daily driving.

Where do you get such a discount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom