• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Calling for opinions please?

MangoMan

MB Enthusiast
Car
2001 W208 CLK320 Coupe Almandine-Black. (Looks Purple-ish).
Right, seeing as Im finding it difficult to find a nice Merc at a reasonable price Ive been looking at other marques.... Namely this one in particular:

1993 (J) BMW 730i in Blue Met.
146,000 miles, Leather, All electrics working, including on-board Computer. has 18" after-market wheels fitted but also supplying originals with good tyres. New Battery and well serviced by the looks of it. The only faults it has is slight rust on rear wheel arches and a slight wheel-wobble at around 50-55mph. MOT until Oct and Taxed to April. Last service in Oct.

Seems quite genuine chat, but havent seen or driven yet, hopefully this weekend.....

The price £1200.00

A couple of photos attatched.

I know its not a merc, but I trust you guys, and your opinions. :thumb:

Many thanks, Bill.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of car for the money. I don't know a whole heap about these but you can put the original wheels back on ebay those 18's and probably recover a good chunk of the cost. If it's got ticket until October and your luck holds you could have 9 months seriously cheap luxury motoring.

It cant be a 93 on a J plate, Looks half straight but has been a cheap car for a long time - used to see them for that figure about eight years ago in the midlands. Price a pair of shock absorbers and make an offer based on that.

it's german so you cant go far wrong !! as long as it is what it says ie. not written off or has some other nasty history then it sounds good to me

Have you considered my 210?

It will have fully re-furbed 18" AMG's on it soon. Its in the for sale section.

I would rather sell it to a forum member who will look after her.

Have owned 2 great E32's with the M30 big six. Bought one of them with 266k miles and sold it as a going concern.

However the front suspension is probably the cause of the wobble, exacerbated by the 18's. Seller knows how much the joints cost - £400-600 in parts alone. Cheeky price. Dodgy to describe as a 93, when J is c. 1991.

Sorry, that was me thinking a J was a 93. My appologies.

Have you considered my 210?

It will have fully re-furbed 18" AMG's on it soon. Its in the for sale section.

I would rather sell it to a forum member who will look after her.

Cant find it? :dk:

Just had a chat with the chap voicing my concerns about the rust and steering probs and he said I can have it for £800!!!

Now Im even more suspicious!

As tim.mcd says, probably the joints. There are lots of BM indys and most are very good.
My 5-series E34 developed the infamous 55mph shimmy and lots of bits later was cured.
Non original wheels may not help. On mine, the original wheels took metric tyres which were quite expensive so I changed them but there was a slight difference in the bore size from E34 to E39 which didn't help until I got the correct spacers. This all costs of course. I ended up buying another set of genuine 5-series wheels for my model. The 7 series and 5 are very closely related on running gear so this all needs checked out.

I have to say that in 9 years it never let me down and always felt totally solid. With them being quite old now, there are lots of bits available but like MB, getting the right part is everything.

BMW Land - BMW Forum : Drivers Chat Talk Discussion BMW car Forum for UK BMW car owners 3 5 6 7 series Questions and Answers
bmwcarmagazine.com :: Index

are both very good forums with masses of knowledge.

Thanks for all the info, very much appreciated.

Anyway I have decided to give it a miss, not worth the worry.

** And Olly, thanks for the offer, but no offence but those models just dont do it for me , sorry.

Thanks all, Bill.

Since you're still looking for an executive care for ~£1k, have you considered looking at a Saab 95? Not in the same league as MB or BMW, but still a decent car none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom