• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Camber adjustments

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Folks,

As you know my car has been lowered with Eibach springs and Bilstein B12 dampers.

I've checked my receipt from the garage which done the work and there is a £165 entry for steering geometry.

The car as we all know has been driving immensely.

I have now changed all 4 of my tyres to conti sport 3's and got the alignment checked and it's way out. I spoke to several people and the concensus is you set the alignment back to factory settings afters.

I am getting new camber bolts now as its so far out, you can see the front wheels sitting more to the inside outer edges at an angle, looks good, but its munched several MM off the front tyre inside out edge shortening their life quite a lot.

Great mod to do, but please check your tyres ALL the way.

I usually check the middles and the outed edges, its hard to check the insides as I hate parking wheels out, but I did recently as I wanted to check the full tyre, something, I know I should do sooner.

So, anyone have a detailed knowledge of camber adjustments on a 211 and what the garage will do to my car to fix it, as I am sure they will as they've done other peoples cars.

Wheels In Motion is your place and I'm sure they'll be along to comment, take all our high end stuff there, wouldn't trust anyone else trouble is it's hell of a long way for you, maybe they can recommend someone close to you, unfortunately I don't know anybody, does HB's Indie know anyone capable?

How much adjustment will also depend on what you have fitted now and how far out you are, do you have the standard bolts fitted on both sides? KMAC make some fully adjustable bolt kits for the W211 which may give you more adjustment.

Wheels In Motion is your place and I'm sure they'll be along to comment, take all our high end stuff there, wouldn't trust anyone else trouble is it's hell of a long way for you, maybe they can recommend someone close to you, unfortunately I don't know anybody, does HB's Indie know anyone capable?

+1

they did my CLS

spot on

The car as we all know has been driving immensely.

I am getting new camber bolts now as its so far out, you can see the front wheels sitting more to the inside outer edges at an angle, looks good, but its munched several MM off the front tyre inside out edge shortening their life quite a lot.

For even tyre wear you need to spend more of the time driving faster around the corners ;)

How much adjustment will also depend on what you have fitted now and how far out you are, do you have the standard bolts fitted on both sides? KMAC make some fully adjustable bolt kits for the W211 which may give you more adjustment.

I have them on my C43. I am not too impressed TBH.

I bought adjustable camber arms for my C43 and untill now my tires are worn as they should with these camber arms and a correct alignment.

camber arms are very pricey but worth every penny I guess?
Strange why MB doesn't have this type of part as a standard part on all cars when they know tires are getting worn uneven??

until now I haven't even had a squeek from the bushings!!
still get a quiet driving from suspension everytime.

I bought my stuff from this seller on US Ebay.
MB Arts Mercedes 211/219/230 Adjustable rear camber arm | eBay

Last edited:

It is, thats the issue. It was HBs chap who fitted it. He uses another garage however to do the wheel alignment, and being the sort of place that this other garage is with other staff, might well mean this wasn't done right....

Its quite far out, I left the Hunter Hawkeye prints with my chap so he can see whats what
+1

they did my CLS

spot on

I would normally go, but 500miles will see a good load off my tread....
For even tyre wear you need to spend more of the time driving faster around the corners ;)
Thats the problem, I do which has exagurated the issue. You can see, once I was told to look for, the camber is out, the wheel is visible looking down the door at the bottom, but not at the top....

I have them on my C43. I am not too impressed TBH.

Is it not just standard bolts you get from merc, thats what they are ordering?

whilst bad camber is a wear issue, it will not be anything like as bad as incorrect toe angles.

You need to get a basic check of that as a first step.

I would be getting each corner in the air and checking for worn bushes
and movement of wishbone etc by manipulating the front wheels side to side and top to bottom.

If there is a smidgen of movement you have found the cause. Now get it repaired.

There's a red BMW X5 that drives around Scotstoun sometimes with the camber at an angle and I think it looks :thumb:

Maybe on a 4x4 the damage to the inside tread wouldn't be as sever.

whilst bad camber is a wear issue, it will not be anything like as bad as incorrect toe angles.

You need to get a basic check of that as a first step.

I would be getting each corner in the air and checking for worn bushes
and movement of wishbone etc by manipulating the front wheels side to side and top to bottom.

If there is a smidgen of movement you have found the cause. Now get it repaired.

I'll phone the garage tomrrow and ask this, but from the alignment tests, its way way out.

You might get the tyres to last longer but you may well lose some of the lovely grip you are experiencing :D

You might get the tyres to last longer but you may well lose some of the lovely grip you are experiencing :D

You wouldn't think the car was not right, drove to Falkirk today, 45.1mpg and not going slow.

Drove around Scotland, hooned, 41mpg. Car doesn't perform like the wheels are holding it back:eek:

My friend who runs a taxi firm has just bought 5 211 MERC E320 CDI 2005 in silver. He's had his done in a local garage in London, i'll try and ask him what garage he went to.

Cheers,
Joe.

Ta. Aside please tell me there are not V6's, they'll never make a living...

If all else fails, its a weekend trip to WIM but reckon they'll sort it up here, fingers crossed/

Deleted

Last edited:
No need to trail all the way done to WIM Steve!

I emailed Tony at WIM a few months ago as I had my S211 lowered with a H&R Cup Kit.

Geometry was a country mile out and Tony recommended Nigel Langes Garage in Bolton

Welcome - Nigel Langs Garage They did a spot on job on the Hunter rig, couldn't afford to prematurely chew up a grands worth of Supersports! :eek:

If you email Tony he may know of an Aligner even closer to you. :)

No need to trail all the way down to WIM Steve!

I emailed Tony at WIM a few months ago as I had my S211 lowered with a H&R Cup Kit.

Geometry was a country mile out and Tony recommended Nigel Langes Garage in Bolton

Welcome - Nigel Langs Garage They did a spot on job on the Hunter rig, couldn't afford to prematurely chew up a grands worth of Supersports! :eek:

If you email Tony he may know of an Aligner even closer to you. :)

Tell ya what this forum is getting a right pain in the ass with it's 'hanging' etc etc! :(

Cheers mate, I'll be in touch with him if all doesn't go to plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom