• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Car sales from the forum....

MOR8A

Car
W212 E63 PPP AMG
As many of you will know (803 views so far) I have my E63 for sale. Admittedly I priced the car too high initially and should have looked at what others were up for before entering a price. I did my usual wake up in the morning after a heavy night and made my decision to move on to something new, without doing the proper amount of homework first. I quickly remedied this to make it very competitive. I like to think that I am fairly up to speed with things of an automotive nature (values etc), but would invite your feedback (of a polite nature only thanks). I have to say I'm a little surprised that I have not heard from any of you. I would obviously like the car to go to an enthusiast rather than some random nobody.

Has anyone had good (or in fact any) luck with selling on the forum? I'd be interested to hear your feedback.

Many thanks in advance.

It will be a bit difficult to sell a car of AMG nature in the summer. I'm sure you realise that. Are you forced to sell now? Have you tried WBAC or the dealer? Assuming you're moving to another brand, have you asked them for valuation? Good luck with the sale. I haven't sold a car on forum so I can't help with advice, I'm sorry.

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm not forced to sell no. Just want to get 'correct' money for the car so that won't happen at dealer or WBAC.

I sold my E55 on here. Went to a great home & daft as it sounds, having it it from New for 11 years that's what I wanted. Best of luck with hours.

Any luck with selling through the forum? Yes, I quickly sold my CLK here.

Why no offers for yours? May be any of a number of things. The price now sounds reasonable, but it's still a lot of dosh to be paying out on a private sale. When up to that sort of money, people tend to like the reassurance (real or not) of buying from a dealer. For that reason it takes longer to find a buyer - just as it took you a long time to find the car when you bought it.

What could be putting off some potential buyers (and it would me) is the fact that it's now had four owners in five years. People may be thinking, "Why is everyone getting rid so soon? What's wrong with it?" There may well be perfectly good reasons and it may well be a perfectly good car, but seeds of doubt.

So what can you do about it? There's nothing you can do about the above two obstacles, but it may be worth changing the tone of your ad. Start with the basic facts: body colour, trim material and colour, main standard features (heated electric memory seats, COMAND Sat Nav, DAB, flappy paddles, etc - not everyone knows they're standard) then a simple list of additional options with just the total price, not a boring itemised price list.

Get rid of all the waffle at the end about the type of buyer you want. It's the same as all sellers want, but by pointing it out you make yourself sound like an unreasonable person to deal with. You want to be attracting buyers, not putting them off. You won't stop the time wasters who will ignore your pleas to be left alone.

Keep the eulogising to a minimum. If the car is really that great, then people will wonder why you're selling it after such a short time. Definitely don't write about "no sloppy repairs" because that makes the reader interpret it as "had repairs but they were done well."

Good luck. It does look a nice car - just not for me.

Went to a great home & daft as it sounds, having it it from New for 11 years that's what I wanted. Best of luck with hours.

Not really, to me at least.

I wanted mine to go to a good home where it would be looked after.

I think when you hold a car in such high regard, it seems a waste for it to be ruined by someone who "just sees it as a car".

Sold my late father's car here within hours of the ad going up! ... And it wasn't an MB! gulp!

Thank you to the really great guy that bought it! :)

Although my W203 was not officially advertised for sale on the forum, I did mention in one of the threads that I wanted to sell it, and subsequently sold it to a forum member. I don't normally sell cars privately, but the buyer turned-out to be a real nice person and a pleasure to do business with.

Regarding getting the best price for it - well if you advertise nationally then you are maximising the target audience and likely to eventually get a higher price.

But this will only work if you have the time and patience for tyre-kickers while waiting for the serious buyer to come along.

At least on the forum you know you are not dealing with time wasters.

MOR8A said:
I have to say I'm a little surprised that I have not heard from any of you. I would obviously like the car to go to an enthusiast rather than some random nobody. Many thanks in advance.
That comes across as you being a little bit up your own a$$ and £25000 is a lot of money to drop on a whim. How many E63 have sold on this forum within the last 12 months?

Not asking anyone to spend the money on a whim. A carefully considered purchase will be fine.

MOR8A said:
Not asking anyone to spend the money on a whim. A carefully considered purchase will be fine.
Yet you're surprised that you've not heard from any of us? Why are you surprised that nobody has contacted you about your car?

Because it would be my go to place to initially look for a Mercedes. If I wanted to buy one (which obviously I have in the past) that would also mean that there would be other people thinking the same thing at a different point in time. No?

You've got the demographics all wrong. How many people on this forum will stump up 25k in cash for a used Merc?
Anyone that wants anything AMG will lease/PCP or whatever.
It's probably a lovely car but I think you are going about selling it the wrong way.

Because it would be my go to place to initially look for a Mercedes. If I wanted to buy one (which obviously I have in the past) that would also mean that there would be other people thinking the same thing at a different point in time. No?

No I personally buy used approved or lease brand new cars. The last place I would buy would be on a forum for where prices may be inflated between fans and cars are often modified, mapped and driven well! ;)

I prefer using dealer I personally know for back up and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And like I posted earlier. How many cars in the classifieds are priced over £20000? Probably not that many. There's a reason for that.
Have a look back through the last 6 months and let us know.

I am looking for an E63 but as I am now retired I fail your "professional person" criteria so I'm out.

My money clearly won't be good enough for you :o

Just thought there maybe some level of interest in a rather nice car, that's all. The car has exactly the same level of protection warranty wise as any other used Mercedes from a dealer that's over 3 years old. I must just be away with the fairies to think that people on Mercedes forum might be interested. My mistake.

I am looking for an E63 but as I am now retired I fail your "professional person" criteria so I'm out.

My money clearly won't be good enough for you :o

I have been inundated with time waster ''how much for cash bruv?'' calls, that's why I felt the need for that comment. It was made in the hope it might put off the less desirable types and time wasters. I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom