• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Car that people don't really want to sell!!.....or at least that's how it seems.

ALFAitalia

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 ALFA 159 2.0 JTDM, Merc A170 (W169), Merc CLK 200K (C209) gone, 1999 Merc SLK 230K (R170) gone.
OK....stole this idea from a US Dodge Charger site I used to frequent!....hopefully it will be as popular here.

Been looking at used Mercs (and other quality marques) on and for well over a year now a year now....watching the prices fall away on most of them and long may it continue. But some have been up for sale for months....some years. Now they either don't really want to sell them......or they are adamant that its worth the money they are asking....which after 6 months or more is clearly not the case....and if they really wanted to sell they would have lowered the price to a more realistic level.....or even just looked at what other similar cars are up for. So I thought we could post a few of them on here. Who knows the extra publicity might even get one or two of them sold...... I'll let then know my account details for the commission!!

Anyway this one first. When I first saw this (must be a year ago or more ....although the ad is only dated June 23...I saw it well before then) it was priced at £9995....clearly way too much.....its now £7995 and has been for quite a while. Not the most inspiring colour combo....but nothing hideous. The photos don't help especially the wheels. I was half interested to start with....but the near £700 a year VED and the claimed MPG being a couple LESS than the 212 E63 put me off. What do you think? Feel free to post cars you have seen up for sale forever.....preferably Mercedes.....but anything goes!!

Obviously the title should read "cars!....not "car".....does not seem possible to edit the title!!!....so if you can sort that Mods that would be great!

Last edited:
This has been for sale at least 18 months that I'm aware of.

It's worth no more than 1500 quid but a glance at the other items he has for sale indicate he has a bit of trouble with numbers.

LOL!....thats just mad........makes the E class I posted look very reasonable!!!

OK....stole this idea from a US Dodge Charger site I used to frequent!....hopefully it will be as popular here.

Been looking at used Mercs (and other quality marques) on and for well over a year now a year now....watching the prices fall away on most of them and long may it continue. But some have been up for sale for months....some years. Now they either don't really want to sell them......or they are adamant that its worth the money they are asking....which after 6 months or more is clearly not the case....and if they really wanted to sell they would have lowered the price to a more realistic level.....or even just looked at what other similar cars are up for. So I thought we could post a few of them on here. Who knows the extra publicity might even get one or two of them sold...... I'll let then know my account details for the commission!!

Anyway this one first. When I first saw this (must be a year ago or more ....although the ad is only dated June 23...I saw it well before then) it was priced at £9995....clearly way too much.....its now £7995 and has been for quite a while. Not the most inspiring colour combo....but nothing hideous. The photos don't help especially the wheels. I was half interested to start with....but the near £700 a year VED and the claimed MPG being a couple LESS than the 212 E63 put me off. What do you think? Feel free to post cars you have seen up for sale forever.....preferably Mercedes.....but anything goes!!

Obviously the title should read "cars!....not "car".....does not seem possible to edit the title!!!....so if you can sort that Mods that would be great!

It’s only a matter of time before one of mine appears in this thread!

Two grey 213 E63 biturbo's that have been on sale for well over 12months now.
No price reduction either.
A quick glance at the dealer and you may understand why.
First car is a Cat N

It's worth no more than 1500 quid but a glance at the other items he has for sale indicate he has a bit of trouble with numbers.
Look at his feedback; the first three items are fantasy game things. That probably explains it...

I was after a Tanzanite S211 E500 on Autocar a few years ago, but it was about two grand overpriced. I rang the seller, who was one of these "I Know What It's Worth" types, and he wouldn't budge. It was still for sale at the same price over two years later.

Last edited:
Some "classic" car dealers seem to be happy to hold and advertise stock for years and years.
Part of that is that they’re effectively just storing high days and holidays cars with a high asking price if someone just rocks up. Often it’s not even their own capital, as they’re “selling” on a purely commission basis, with the no capital of their own locked up in the vehicle.

I own more cars than fingers and toes. Sometimes I put a car up for sale but tend to ignore 99.9% of inquiries as they're usually low ball offers. I could use the space but I'm desperate for the money. If I really want to get rid of a car, i would dismantle it and make the same money selling 30% of the parts, without dealing with 90% of the BS.

Part of that is that they’re effectively just storing high days and holidays cars with a high asking price if someone just rocks up. Often it’s not even their own capital, as they’re “selling” on a purely commission basis, with the no capital of their own locked up in the vehicle.
There's a dealer of very high end cars in the north. Stock must be worth millions with silly prices - must be commission sales. Cars disappear from the inventory without appearing in the "sold" list, presumably being removed by the owners. I had to laugh at a recent advert for a 59 frogeye by a dealer. New bodyshell, uprated new engine and suspension, new interior. So really a repro. Yours for £60k - "you couldn't build it for that". Hilarious.

This left hand drive CLK500 has been for sale for at least 2 !!!! years. Last time I looked it was about 9k so its dropped but the market for LHD 5 litre v8s must be pretty much 1 mad bloke who hasn't decided to trade in yet. But seriously who leaves a car for sale this long??

The seller is clearly delusional. Yes, it passed an MOT last month, but there is a long list of advisories, most of which include the word 'corrosion'!

Yep. You can see the corrosion coming through on the rear arches.

The seller is clearly delusional. Yes, it passed an MOT last month, but there is a long list of advisories, most of which include the word 'corrosion'!
Just sold a 2008 Yellow Saab convertible for 20% of that price, it was mint no rust and well sorted with 63k miles. Put the two together and you would purchase the yellow every time even if you disliked the colour. The seller of the blue sounds like a grease monkey or tyre fitter, you know, the type who Jack up your car by the sills😂

You could pick up a Carlson Saab for less money. Now they are very rare and fast👍

Had a campervan for sale recently pop up in one of my social media feeds. 2021 VW Crafter with an average home brew camper conversion inside.
£120,000 was the asking price, about £100,000 more than the base van is worth.

Campervan asking prices have been silly since Covid (albeit softening now) but I think this is the daftest one I’ve seen.

Wonder how one would insure such a vehicle.

There's a dealer of very high end cars in the north. Stock must be worth millions with silly prices - must be commission sales. Cars disappear from the inventory without appearing in the "sold" list, presumably being removed by the owners. I had to laugh at a recent advert for a 59 frogeye by a dealer. New bodyshell, uprated new engine and suspension, new interior. So really a repro. Yours for £60k - "you couldn't build it for that". Hilarious.
Part of it can be a cross subsidy thing. Classic repair and renovation guys sometimes run a forecourt to “show willing.” But their real earner is the flow of repair / renovation / bodywork work from their relationships…

(Cough: Bentley, Rolls Royce, 996’s, E Types etc)

I own more cars than fingers and toes. Sometimes I put a car up for sale but tend to ignore 99.9% of inquiries as they're usually low ball offers. I could use the space but I'm desperate for the money. If I really want to get rid of a car, i would dismantle it and make the same money selling 30% of the parts, without dealing with 90% of the BS.
Hi , I broke one of my C207E400 and the engine and gear box was worth more than the complete car.

I had the Michael extracted from me by members on the site !!

This actual car is on the same caravan site as me and cost way less than the normal blue 1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221_140528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221_140528_Chrome.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 12
This?

Had a campervan for sale recently pop up in one of my social media feeds. 2021 VW Crafter with an average home brew camper conversion inside.
£120,000 was the asking price, about £100,000 more than the base van is worth.

Campervan asking prices have been silly since Covid (albeit softening now) but I think this is the daftest one I’ve seen.

Wonder how one would insure such a vehicle.
Must have had gold taps😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom