Car wash people crash customers car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is a 190 LE : Limited Edition .

Mercedes-Benz W201 - Wikipedia

For the UK and Irish market a special edition 190 was produced for the 1993 model year. The car was given the badge name 190LE, though on the rear boot lid it read 190 E (on the left hand side of the lock) and LE on the right hand side. Roughly 1,000 cars were produced and each one came with a large A3 sized certificate giving each car a unique number.

The 190 LE was available in three colours only; Azzuro Blue (blue/purple), Brilliant Silver and Rosso Red (Burgundy). The Azzuro blue coloured cars came with a grey checked cloth interior, the silver coloured cars with a black checked cloth interior and the Rosso Red coloured cars with a biscuit/cream checked cloth interior.

The LE was equipped with extra features that had been options on the other models and were only available with the 1.8 or 2.0-litre engine. Both the 1.8 and 2.0-litre models were equipped with a standard electric tilt and slide steel sunroof, four electric windows, electric aerial, 8-hole alloy wheels, Blaupunkt Verona CR43 Radio/cassette player and walnut wood trim (as opposed to Zebrano wood). The 2.0-litre version had in addition rear headrests and a front armrest. The LE was nearly £3,500 cheaper than a 1.8-litre model of identical specification, and £2,000 cheaper than a 2.0-litre model.

No further options could be added to LE cars from the factory - though some were equipped with other dealer-installed items.
1991 Mercedes-Benz 180 E Limited Edition (Australia)
In Australia, a limited run of 180 E Limited Edition cars could be purchased from October 1991 to March 1994.[10] This was essentially a 1.8-litre 190 E with a very basic trim.[10] At its launch, Mercedes-Benz were able to price the 180 E at A$45,450, compared to the 190 E at A$63,200. This was achieved by taking out equipment and also by offsetting import duties with the now discontinued policy of export credits gained through using Australian-made components for the whole Mercedes-Benz range, such as suspension springs and windscreen glass.[11] The 180 E deleted anti-lock brakes, power windows, climate control, electric seats, heated mirrors, cruise control and multi-speaker sound system; although power steering, air conditioning and central locking remained standard.[12]

In 1993, for the U.S. market, 2 LE models were offered, limited to 1,400 units (700 190 E 2.3 LE and 700 190 E 2.6 LE). The 2.3 LE was only offered in Emerald Green while the 2.6 was only offered in black.

Thanks for clarifying the LE mystery. :)

So the Down-Under version of the 180E w201 was a real cheapskate Benz, for the real economical tighta$$ buyers with thin wallets but still wanted to flash in a Benz? ;) :cool:
The w201 cars were made to last for a very long time.
They were solid if treated correctly.

Thanks for clarifying the LE mystery. :)

So the Down-Under version of the 180E w201 was a real cheapskate Benz, for the real economical tighta$$ buyers with thin wallets but still wanted to flash in a Benz? ;) :cool:
The w201 cars were made to last for a very long time.
They were solid if treated correctly.
Yep , funny how a/c was considered more important than ABS .

Mine started life as a 1.8 , but when the cylinder head gasket started leaking , I dropped in a 2.3 out of a W124 230CE , which transformed the car . Although never marketed in the UK , IMHO the 2.3 was the best engine option for the car . Almost the fuel economy of the 2.0 , and almost the performance of the 2.6 , just a nice happy medium and the best overall compromise .

Yep , funny how a/c was considered more important than ABS .

Mine started life as a 1.8 , but when the cylinder head gasket started leaking , I dropped in a 2.3 out of a W124 230CE , which transformed the car . Although never marketed in the UK , IMHO the 2.3 was the best engine option for the car . Almost the fuel economy of the 2.0 , and almost the performance of the 2.6 , just a nice happy medium and the best overall compromise .

The new heart transplant was that a plug n play surgery?
Did you have to swap ecu between the w201 and the w124?
Or did you just use original w201 ecu with new engine?

The only thing apart from the engine was the ignition control module ; my W201 being a 1993 car had EZL KAT ignition , the donor car was a 1986 model and had the earlier TSZ ignition - swapped that one module and away she went .

Had I realised before dropping the engine in ( they are both variants of the M102 so physically swapped straight over , I could have put in the CPS from the old engine , which was all the replacement unit lacked , but a PITA to do afterwards , so easier just to swap the modules .

Because the 1.8L car was geared lower , I did obtain a taller diff from a 2.6 , which I installed along with 2.6 driveshafts , and already had a 2.6 speedo from a previous car - this brought the revs down significantly . Only downer is the cheap diff I bought is knackered ( works but very noisy ) so need to look for another .... easy afternoon's work to swap though - couple of dozen bolts to undo and drop it on the trolley jack ...

So it was a little bit of fiddling before you could turn the key the very first time on your virgin voyage.
With the new Frankenstein car, how was your fuel consumption?
Did you get accurate readings from your cluster with a different diff?

I once drove a carburated 190 with a 4 speed gearbox.
Car was ok with the 4 speed tranny.
It would probably have been a lot slower if it had a 5 speed tranny with a taller gearing?

My daddy once had a 190E as loaner.
122 HP was kinda quick for a basic Benz back in the days.
I think the early non-cat einspritz version had 122 HP if memory serves me right then dropped to 118 HP when cats were introduced in 87-88?

The early cars also had a design flaw where the engines had a single chain, people didn't replace them on time and engines went bust.
Later MY had double chain which was an improved design.

So it was a little bit of fiddling before you could turn the key the very first time on your virgin voyage.
With the new Frankenstein car, how was your fuel consumption?
Did you get accurate readings from your cluster with a different diff?

I once drove a carburated 190 with a 4 speed gearbox.
Car was ok with the 4 speed tranny.
It would probably have been a lot slower if it had a 5 speed tranny with a taller gearing?

My daddy once had a 190E as loaner.
122 HP was kinda quick for a basic Benz back in the days.
I think the early non-cat einspritz version had 122 HP if memory serves me right then dropped to 118 HP when cats were introduced in 87-88?

The early cars also had a design flaw where the engines had a single chain, people didn't replace them on time and engines went bust.
Later MY had double chain which was an improved design.
Fuel consumption is high 20s/ low 30s so OK . One of the reasons for seeking out a 2.6 diff was that I still had a speedo from my old 2.6 , so readings are spot on .

From memory the 2.0 had around 124 bhp , the 1.8 substantially less ; the 2.3 develops 136bhp , not that much more on paper , but it has a lot more torque and this is what you notice : much more pulling power from low revs . I expected the car to be much less responsive , but it drives very nicely . My engine has the dual timing chain .

I have two new front wings and rear arch repair sections to go on ( and finally get rid of the horrible chrome arches that were on the car when I got it ) , but think that will wait till next year as I want to tinker with the SL this summer.

From a C63 crashing to ending up talking about the fuel economy of a 190E - you’ve got to love this forum!

our car wash is run by albanians and they are brilliant:

Spray lower car and wheels with tar remover and brake dust remover.
Spray car all over with jet gun.
Snow foam all over.
Wash car with 2 bucket micro pore hand gloves.
Rinse car.
Spray bodywork (not glass) with wax.
Jet Spray car.
Chamois car down.
Micro pore dry wipe all over including door and boot inserts.
Tyre shine.
Interior smelly handed over in return for....wait for it.... £5!

Hope the car wash guys did the right thing and refunded him his money lol
Not sure why he hesitated at the last minute.
Hopefully both drivers were ok after the accident.

Snow foam all over.
Rinse car.
Jet Spray car.
Chamois car down.
Tyre shine.
All for a fiver, blimey. Just reading that description reminded me of the brilliantly funny 'Shark Tale' CGI animated film (Will Smith, Robert DeNiro et Al) where they had a whale wash. A whale would glide into the booth and be set upon by all sorts of fish and within minutes was spotlessly clean again. - hilarious.
... So modern day slavery still exists, how else do you make money to pay all your overheads plus the 5 Albanians who just jumped onto your car and washed it for a fiver! ;)
... Am I charging too much I wonder - rhetorical question! ;)

Snow foam all over.
Rinse car.
Jet Spray car.
Chamois car down.
Tyre shine.

Hide behind car wash owner's aged BMW 5 Series when UK Border Force officers suddenly appear.

oh, this story. so this dude takes his c63 to a hand car wash and after the terrible scratches inflicted upon his paintwork, he decided the best way forward is to just cut his losses and write the car off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom