Category 'c' write off and getting back on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sappers

Car
ML270 CDI
Hi, my other car is a 3 series coupe and on Monday somebody pulled out from a side road and caught the rear wheel arch and rear quarter panel causing a shallow dent and a scuff mark. Wednesday comes and the insurance investigator visits and decides that it's uneconomical to repair and they will send me a cheque for the value, less 10% for the salvage which means I get to keep the car and do with it what I want. Thursday it was off with the rear wheel and hammer and dolly the dent back out to roughly the right shape and alls well. Friday I get a call saying there's a cheque in the post and it's a category 'c' write off. Now, and here's the question, what do I have to do to satisfy the pencil pushers at DVLA? Do I have to get a VIC check or will an MOT suffice? Do I need both? Do I need either? Sorry it's a bit long winded but searching online produces conflicting results. Anybody have any experience?

You don't need a Vic check on a Cat c as of October 2015. Usually when I've bought from salvage sites you have to apply for the logbook and tax the car. But you may still have the logbook? Did you send it in to your insurance company?
As long as it's legal your back on the road..!
Lee

I still have the log book and the car. All they said on the phone was "the car is still yours but it's a cat 'c' write off. Tax is due at the weekend so wasn't sure about MOT and VIC. I do sort of remember that the rules had changed recently because the point of the checks was to stop car 'ringing' and it didn't really make any difference so they stopped the checks to save money. I will tax it online anyway and see what happens, haha. Cheers for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom