Changing the ATF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
As recommended on this forum, I had my ATF changed at about 50K miles.
My W203 is now coming up for 100K miles.
Do I need to consider having another ATF change - or do you only ever need to have this fluid change done the once? :confused:

It's been swilling through the box for 50k miles- why wouldn't it need changing?

RH

if you use high grade oil then it does not really need changing.

I have heavy industrial machinery (hence my name!) and some of it has hydrostatic transmissions (bit like a very very high grade, fine toleranced, and extremely expensive[£30-50k] auto gearbox). The manufacturer recommends the oil is not changed since when you do you can add minute amounts of dirt to the system and this causes much more damage than a fluid change will ever save. The only time oil should ever be added is when forced to do so, such as if you have a leak somewhere.

These transmissions are used constantly under ardous conditions unlike anything a car will ever see and as of yet I have not seen a failure due to wear in a box. Just food for thought thats all

As recommended on this forum, I had my ATF changed at about 50K miles.
My W203 is now coming up for 100K miles.
Do I need to consider having another ATF change - or do you only ever need to have this fluid change done the once? :confused:

Yes , another fluid + filter change is now due .

I think I will follow your advice. Next 'A' service is not for another 8K and will have about 104K on the clock by then.
I have recently noticed the changes are not quite as smooth as they were when the fluid was fresh.
Still virtually imperceptible, but not as good as I know how they can be. :thumb:

Not so - according to the handbook it is a once only change at around 40,000 miles. But on saying that it will do no harm changing it again - I intend to when I reach 90,000 miles although it is not a servicing requirement.

It's been swilling through the box for 50k miles- why wouldn't it need changing?

RH

I bet there are quite a few MB's out there with 100K plus mileages still with the original ATF in the gearbox.

I dont think changing the fluid and filter is part of the 'routine maintenance'.

The schedule may specify a 'one-off' change at 40-45K .

My earlier cars service books specify varying intervals when this should be done : just pulled two service books out of the cupboard and the W114 book specifies 'In addition to the schedule' ATF + filter every 30,000 miles ; the W126 one has it listed as 'every 36,000' miles . I don't have the book to hand but I seem to recall the interval was more like 50k for the W124's ......

I think what we are looking at here is the difference between something that is designed to be maintained , and expected to last indefinitely ( the original autobox on my 300-24V was still working perfectly with 430K behind it , having been fully serviced by the original dealer all its life ) , and something that is 'sealed for life' .

The only problem being that 'life' means the period up to where it goes 'BANG !

If it were me , and I had a nice car that was running fine , I'd be inclined to spend a couple of hundred on getting the fluid and filter changed , which can do no harm , rather than have a bill for £3K + for a new gearbox at a later date .

I bet there are quite a few MB's out there with 100K plus mileages still with the original ATF in the gearbox.

I dont think changing the fluid and filter is part of the 'routine maintenance'.
Filled for life- refilled for longer life.

I bet you're more concerned about longevity outside the warranty than MB are.

RH

I would get it changed. Are you coming to the GTG? I have an offer on.

I got my E55 fluid changed as a precaution. My local inde recommends every 30,000 I think and mine is on late 40s now.

However, what came out was just 'starting to turn' so I guess it depends on the life the box has as well (usage / how often used when cold etc.).

Having had the ATF changed on an 04 Saab 9-5 Aero at 60k, it made a huge improvement to it. Prior, it was snatching and getting quite lazy which worsened when it got hot.

I don't agree with this 'sealed for life' bull as I want my 'box to last beyond 80,000 miles. If I had have left the Saab box, I would be forking out for a new one at some point had I kept it...

Get it changed for sure. I did my mum's jazz yesterday and it was such a doddle (54k miles, it was quite dark dirty purple and the magnet accumulated alot of dirt)... made me despise the last time I attempted it on my bmw or merc...

Going to check my service book now as 96K miles and counting.

Not so - according to the handbook it is a once only change at around 40,000 miles. But on saying that it will do no harm changing it again - I intend to when I reach 90,000 miles although it is not a servicing requirement.
I've read this, but its only because MB expect the 1st onwer to have the car maybe to 60k miles.

As rovinghawk says, it needs changed, and Daves noticing a drop off in shift quality.

There is a difference between what the book says, and what common sense says.

A bit like the Alfa TwinSpark cambelt issue. Book says 72,000 miles, but you find me an Alfa TS owner who is brave/stupid enough (or wealthy enough) to stick to that regime!

JohnDeere's comments are interesting, but even an MB 'box is not built to anything like those exacting standards or tolerances. Then they don't cost £50k either, which explains why the maintenance regime is, or should be, different.

Went to Merctech in Sidcup last night on the way home from work and had the fluid checked. Level ok but black rather than red so prognosis is change it in near future.

Every 30,000 Miles/48,270 Kilometers

New Filter and ATF Fluid (Includes Draining the Torque Converter),
IF you drive mostly Highway/Motorway.

If you're doing A LOT of Urban/City Driving It'd be every 15K Miles/24,140 Klicks.

You'll NEVER regret this regimen.

I adhere to it even though I'm using Mobil1 and/or Redline Synthetic ATF.

Went to Merctech in Sidcup last night on the way home from work and had the fluid checked. Level ok but black rather than red so prognosis is change it in near future.

Get it changed ASAP.
And when you do you will really notice how much smoother the changes become. Its almost like like driving a new car. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom