Cheapest place to buy Mobil 1 or 0w-40 engine oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Adsa Mobil 1 merc spec twice a year it’s on offer or ecp have Mobil 1 and petronas but the merc brand oil is reasonable and its Mobil made 5w30 in mine. Use fully synth and correct sheet spec. Bevo-merc website has all the approved oils etc

This made me check and have found in their technical data sheet that it has both MB229.31 and MB229.51
http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/79fd8a83-33e8-45fd-b61d-ac98a9bbce41.pdf

229.51 is for diesel engines.
The M156 V8 petrol uses 229.5, either 0w/40 or 5w/40. The latter grade is what the dealers are putting in my AMG engine according to the service sheets I have seen.

Some out of date thinking...

You already have a so called 'synthetic' in there in the form of a severely hydrocracked mineral oil !

Unfortunately I need 229.5

MB 229.5 - Multigrade service engine oils - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

229.5 can be 0w-5w/30 or 40.

There is virtually no difference between 0w and 5w until you go below around -20°c but manufacturers spec it to meet advertised MPG figures.
I would go for a 5w30 as they are generally better oils which maintain their viscosities for longer and the bonus is as they cost less you can change it more frequently too.

Grazwould i have used this Magnatec for 6 years ,Change it every 6 monthes .If i do change back i will go back to the oil it was sent out of the factory with .And that was also Castrol .

'Magnatec' is marketing .

Forget Castrol , there's an ocean of oil to choose from , higher oil performance perameters and for the same price .

What's the Mercedes oil spec and viscosity of the Magnatec ?

Upgrade to the benefits of fully synthetic oil , well a severely hydrocracked mineral really .

Thanks Gaz but i will stay as i am with Castrol . The recomended oil is multigrade viscosity SAE 10 W40 to 10 W 50 In the Castrol Magnatec semi synth i use 10 W40 this was recomended by Castrol for my W124 1989 .. So if you know better than Castrol what oil would you choose ?

Just seen a post elsewhere where the poster said his local MB main dealer had 20L of genuine MB for just over £60 - be worth a phone call!

Thanks Gaz but i will stay as i am with Castrol . The recomended oil is multigrade viscosity SAE 10 W40 to 10 W 50 In the Castrol Magnatec semi synth i use 10 W40 this was recomended by Castrol for my W124 1989 .. So if you know better than Castrol what oil would you choose ?

No reason why you couldn't use a 5W40 fully synthetic and gain the higher quality oil benefits .

Generally with Castrol there are three quality levels , GTX , Magnatec and Edge .

229.5 will serve you very well .

10L Genuine Mercedes Benz 5W40 Engine Oil MB 229.5 Full Synthetic - Petrol | eBay

MBNewcastle on eBay normally do good prices on MB oil, worth a look, they give a contact phone number on their listings and are quick to answer eBay messages as well.

229.51 is for diesel engines.
The M156 V8 petrol uses 229.5, either 0w/40 or 5w/40. The latter grade is what the dealers are putting in my AMG engine according to the service sheets I have seen.
HX8 ECT meets API SN spec which is for petrol engines and is a recommended alternative for Helix Ultra 5W-40 MB229.5 but for a fraction of a price.

HX8 ECT meets API SN spec which is for petrol engines and is a recommended alternative for Helix Ultra 5W-40 MB229.5 but for a fraction of a price.

I'm sure its fine, but if Mercedes indicate 229.5 for my car, that is what I'll use, not 229.31 or 51.
At £60 for 20 litres for Mercedes branded 5w/40 synthetic oil, I'd be surprised if the Shell HX8 was cheaper.

I'm sure its fine, but if Mercedes indicate 229.5 for my car, that is what I'll use, not 229.31 or 51.
At £60 for 20 litres for Mercedes branded 5w/40 synthetic oil, I'd be surprised if the Shell HX8 was cheaper.

To clarify...

The MB RECOMMENDED oil spec for petrol engines is indeed 229.5.

Said that, MB have an oil compatibly list that shows that 229.51 and 229.52 oils are permissible in most (though not all) of their petrol engines.

Personally, I used the oil recommended by MB for my engine (229.5), and not the 'permissible' ones (229.51 and 229.52).

What the crack is there is reduced anti wear ZDDP for a dpf low ash diesel specification as the zinc and phosphorus burn leaving high ash.

It will have an increased additive package concentration with perhaps the addition of higher synthetic group oil basestocks that will equal or exceed the original petrol specification for oil performance perameters .

So never dismiss a diesel spec for a petrol as it will without a doubt contain more detergents and dispersants to cope with the increased soot produced by diesel .

VW do a universal high quality 5W30 oil that does it all across the VAG range .
Diesel
Petrol
3 - 10 cylinders
N/A
Turbo charged
Supercharged
PD
TFSI
Common Rail

You can even use it in place of the newer expensive 0W20 , 508.00 509.00 .

What the crack is there is reduced anti wear ZDDP for a dpf low ash diesel specification as the zinc and phosphorus burn leaving high ash .

It will have an increased additive package concentration with perhaps the addition of higher synthetic group oil basestocks that will equal or exceed the original petrol specification for oil performance perameters .

So never dismiss a diesel spec for a petrol as it will without a doubt contain more detergents and dispersants to cope with the increased soot produced by diesel .

VW do a universal high quality 5W30 oil that does it all across the VAG range .
Diesel
Petrol
3 - 8 cylinders
N/A
Turbo charged
Supercharged
PD
TFSI
Common Rail

You can even use it in place of the newer expensive 0W20 , 508.00 509.00 .
I do not dismiss anything... nor am I in position to disagree with anything you said.

If you have the knowledge required to support a decision to deviate from the manufacturer's recommendations, then you can go ahead and do that.

Unfortunately I am not an oil expert and therefore do not have that privilege. I simply follow the manufacturer's service recommendations, and that includes the oil spec.

In fact since I have the W204, it is covered by a Service Care Plan and simply gets the oil the dealer uses (mostly MB-branded 229.5), which is fine for me.

You are more than welcome to use 229.52 oil or VW oil in your petrol-engined Mercedes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom