Chrysler Voyager - RHD version less safe in Euro NCAP testing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Interesting to see that Euro NCAP have now downgraded the Chrysler Voyager from 2 stars to 1.5 stars :eek: because of differences in the RHD model:

The LHD car performed significantly better than the RHD car in the frontal impact, scoring 9 points, giving a potential four star adult occupant rating. The main reason for this was the lower extent of deformation of the passenger compartment, which remained stable. As is normal for transverse engined cars, there is potentially less crush space available to absorb the impact energy on the side of the car where the engine is mounted. Without adequate countermeasures, this can result in greater passenger compartment deformation. In the Voyager, the engine is mounted towards the right hand side of the engine compartment.

Other comments from the test:

FRONTAL IMPACT
The Voyager scored enough points overall to be awarded a three-star adult occupant rating. However, its performance in the frontal impact did not meet the minimum level for that rating and the car was awarded two stars. The driver's chest struck the steering wheel and distorted its rim and the chest compression measured by the dummy indicated an unacceptably high risk of serious or fatal injury. As a result, the final star in the adult occupant rating is struck-through.

PEDESTRIAN PROTECTION
The Voyager scored no points and was awarded no stars for the protection it offers to pedestrians.

http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/mpvs/car_277_2007/Chrysler Voyager datasheet.pdf

Wasn't it the case that the previous generation Voyager was the least safe car on UK roads?

Look at the A pillar deformation, it's shocking.

Has that horrible Chinese offroader been reconfigured/retested yet- The JiangLing Landwind I believe? It was awarded Nul points in the last test it did.

Shocking to think that a "Prestige" MPV like the Voyager performs so badly in tests.

Has that horrible Chinese offroader been reconfigured/retested yet- The JiangLing Landwind I believe? It was awarded Nul points in the last test it did.

Shocking to think that a "Prestige" MPV like the Voyager performs so badly in tests.

The Landwind can't be sold in Europe yet, can it?

The Voyager is an American car, they are notoriously bad on safety.

Reading the results for my W202 makes me think of upgrading to a newer model. But it is not rusting at least. :)

Didn't T. Blair have a Voyager as his personal car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom