Chunks coming out of GLC tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The car is going in today for two new front tyres and a suspension check, all covered under the warranty.

Regards crabbing - I mentioned above that I test drove some that did have this issue, and it was clear within a minute of driving it. The one I bought has never crabbed or skipped like the others.

Regards heat - this did start to happen during the hot spell we had in June/July, but we all know our hot isn't that hot, so I would be surprised if that was the cause.

I've got the car back with two lovely new tyres, and confirmation that the suspension is OK.

Slightly odd though that the new tyres and old tyre have all been inflated to 250-260 kPa, rather than the filler cap suggested level of 220 kPa. If it was just the new tyres then I would think it was a mistake, but it seems intentional to also do the non-replaced tyres.

I've emailed the workshop to ask, but does anyone have an opinion? Do the tyre guys tend to over-inflate?

It's a difference of 0.3-0.4 bar, probably the thickness of the indicator on their (battered) pressure gauge.
In my experience garages and tyre shops always tend to over inflate. I just wait till the cool of the next morning to readjust to my preferred pressures

Going back to this crabbing effect on full lock of glc. Did anyone ever find the real issue or is it truly something you have to live with.
There’s so many suggestions like get 4 wheel alignment done , get winter tyres , bad shock absorbers etc etc. any real answers it does not bother me too much as it’s only on certain surfaces on full lock , but if there is truly a fix I would love to know

There was an official fix by MERCEDES by replacing the RHD front suspension hub castings [different geometry] to reduce if not eliminate the crabbing effect on full lock - this was incorporated in the latest GLC models as standard [ AMG models excluded]

There was an official fix by MERCEDES by replacing the RHD front suspension hub castings [different geometry] to reduce if not eliminate the crabbing effect on full lock - this was incorporated in the latest GLC models as standard [ AMG models excluded]
Mine is a nov 2016 2.2 ( not amg ) and strangely it’s the drivers side ( right ) I here it on , do you know if it is a expensive fix or is it a upgrade that should have been done. Free.
Thanks.

If the car has not had the retro fit done by MB and has a decent service history it should be a free fix----details elsewhere on other crabbing threads on the forum

If the car has not had the retro fit done by MB and has a decent service history it should be a free fix----details elsewhere on other crabbing threads on the forum
Mine has full history but done by Rivus fleet so not sure where I would stand , m b want £139 + vat to look at it and then would ask M B uk if they would fix it ,but said it never was classed as a fault or recall , but need to access it before any further discussion.

In Australia, RHD build.
1 x 250D 2016 wagon.
1 x 250D 2017 Coupe.
MB changed tyres from Pirelli to Goodyear All Season to ‘fix’ this crabbing issue - yes it did help - for a while !!
UK MB then went on a campaign to offer owners free front knuckle replacements in Feb 2019 for older model builds.
Oz eventually agreed to help owners with update fix July 2019 - but ONLY if they complained and quoted what was being done in UK. Each claim was assessed and new knuckles changed - if private job, cost with labour around $5000Au.
Our Coupe had same tyre tearing only to front tyres (staggered set up).
Wagon not showing this aggressive wear pattern, same brand tyres, same 20’ rim.
Car out of warranty, so we paid for 2 x new ones. Will keep an eye on wear. Car serviced annually and wheel align annually. Tyre pressures are 32psi on fuel door, but we run around 36-38psi cold. Slightly harder ride but better tyre wear and safer braking and minimal tyre roll on rim.
Advanced Driving school recommended 40-42 psi for handle and brake efficiency.

Attachments

• B618FC1E-3CD6-4370-B510-907E7E946DAB.jpeg
    B618FC1E-3CD6-4370-B510-907E7E946DAB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 6C6EAD85-9DB4-4262-9F7A-0361137222B8.jpeg
    6C6EAD85-9DB4-4262-9F7A-0361137222B8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Forgot to mention, Coupe has air suspension, those were the tyres with chunks out. Wago has standard steel suspension.
Maybe something in that ? Will ask dealer at next service in late Feb.

The front wheel suspension alignment recommended settings may have changed when the new front suspension uprights were changed. Check that the current alignment settings are the recommended amended settings and not the old ones.

Yes, kept hard copy of settings before and after for both cars.
From memory both cars have same settings, will recheck readings.
One is standard steel springs, other air suspension.
Alignment done at Dealer, based on VIN and build state - assume HQ has correct parameters.
Both cars have same brand and rim size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom