Votes: 94 71.2%
  • Upgrade wheels or exterior only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Upgrade seat covering or interior only

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Upgrade anything

Votes: 34 25.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great - keep the velour as you love it (for very good reason) and leather wasn't an option, the wheels were so it is no fundamental change of spec and entirely reversible.

Meanwhile stash the leather away as you never know when the right early car with poor leather turns up.

Finally, having a rare version of a rare car is always a good thing.

That is the reason I was asking.

My current cars have deep pipe velour, but I have the option on fitting an excellent condition leather interior, which for very early ones are now hard to get.
I'm not a huge fan of sitting on leather, but it does look nice, though wasn't an option on this car.
The original option wheels I will add as they look fantastic and can easily be reversed back to the also fantastic wheel trims.

I've not voted in the poll as it was for my information, but am happy with the result so far. There are less cars left in the spec I have than the higher specced leathered version, so I think keeping them original is more important.

The only factor that occurs to me is that leather is more durable than velour - so might it be an option to fit the leather for day to day use , and keep the velour for fitment if showing the car . Having a complete set of seats to easily swap over would be the easiest option , if storage space was available .

Having had velour seats in the past , comfortable as they are - cool in the summer , not cold in the winter - they can wear out quickly .

Upgrade everything please.

I saw one of these sweeping round Mable Arch a couple of years ago and have experienced so much want ever since.

The M-Coupé

One of the last coachbuilt MB's stuffed full of modern Merc/AMG goodies.

Sacrilege to some, nirvana to me.

I'm rebuilding an MGB Roadster at the moment.

I suppose the website/blog I'm doing as I go along will probably explain my attitude :)

Not For Purists - MG Restoration and Modification

White leather interior and upgraded brakes etc
There are enough of them about that if someone wants an original one they are easy enough to find

Andy

All for upgrading brakes and ignition to make it safer or more reliable.

As mentioned period, practical and safety mods are all fine in my book. But general upgrading & modifying a classic car depends on the car imo.

Nothing wrong with fitting a twin spark head to an Alfa of an earlier era when the heads are basically the same or five speed o/d box instead or an original four speed in say a 2002. I'd go along with diff ratio changes too plus better than standard shocks & springs. I'd also be happy having electronic ignition, an electric fan, improved heater matrix and P.A.S. etc.

In actual fact I'd support any modification within reason that made the classic a better drive without taking away from the visual or overall charm of the car in question.

Last edited:
After paying £12m at auction for his Ferarri 250 GTO, Chris Evans had it painted white ...

Except that he didn't buy a GTO at Auction, he bought a 250 California, and he didn't paint it white, it was the same colour when he sold it (and the GTO he bought privately) earlier this year.

if it's to be a daily driver or needs to deal with modern traffic, mod away as long as everything is in character with the car.

If it's a garage queen, concours project or of historical significance then keep it as original as possible.

I have voted for keeping classic, but then realised that i would go for an upgrade as long as it was on the options list for the car.

Upgrade anything...

I went for upgrade anything.
There will always be those who do lots to their car, and others who just love it as came from the factory, and everyone in-between.
If Merc's are all meant to be standard, why did AMG succeed to the point that Mercedes bought them, and now there are shed loads of post-merger AMG badged benz's worldwide.
But I guess that because these cars are ordered straight from the showroom, they're considered stock, right?
These days, there are too many people looking at the classic parked outside as a financial investment, ramping up prices, and squeezing the ordinary and young out from a chance at being able to enjoy certain models of classic cars.
I guess what I'm saying in a real roundabout kind of way is, stock or a tastefully modified Mercedes, I'd enjoy it, but not all would, and I respect they're choice.
Maybe Jaymanek knows what I trying to say... W123 fitted with an M117 anyone? Apparently,and unofficially, the German police had a couple of these back in the good old days, a strong rumour from a good source.
Enjoy your choice of motor..:D

It is always nice to see a real classic in totally original condition, even if only to remind us how much the motor car has evolved. If I had a really old car (say pre-1940 then I would keep it as original as possible.

However, if I had something from say mid-fifties onwards I would be wanting to actually use it as much as possible. With that in mind I would try and keep the body and interior as original as possible but I would not hesitate to modify anything that would make it more driveable, reliable or safer in modern driving conditions. Brakes, tyres, suspension and engine would all get some attention, probably in that order of priority. I almost certainly keep the original engine type but do mods such as harder valve seats for unleaded petrol, electronic ignition, improved cooling, better power/efficiency.

I say Mod Mod Mod I love the idea of a wolf in sheeps clothing.

I used to own a triumph spitfire lovely mk2 last of the rounded shape and if I hadnt had a huge offer to sell was about to start figuring out how to fit a 2lt vtec in it.

She even had the horrible bulbous hard top with her when i sold it. acutally now i think on I still have the glass rear screen in the garage maybe time to ebay that too!.

I think if the parts to change/modify were available from the dealers at the time of manufacture then in my view there shouldn't be a problem with using these parts. The purists/concourse fraternity may get all bent out of shape over it but then ... who didn't want to change their bog standard mini into a cooper s back in the day?

Many years back I had a 1971 Mustang Mach 1, when it came to doing some work on the car ie brakes, ignition system even lighting the parts were much better quality, (modern materials, technology) than NOS parts, poly bushes for example, modern brake systems, Modern internals to radios but looked original from the outside, this was called "Restification"

Custom Autosound Mustang USA-1 Radio Black Face 1967-1973

Mustang Sequential LED Taillight Kit 1971-1973

Many arguments were raised, but the answers were always the same "The car was safer, more comfortable and reliable in many cases making the car for the average person more desirable.

Many arguments were raised, but the answers were always the same "The car was safer, more comfortable and reliable in many cases making the car for the average person more desirable.

And if I may add, more useable thus more enjoyable more of the time.

Depends what you want it for. To pose in? Keep it original. As an investment? Keep it original. As a daily driver? Modify if you like. As a weekend toy that you enjoy driving? Modify whatever makes it better to drive (a Mk. 2 Spitfire with a two-litre VTEC would be a deathtrap with OE handling and brakes).

If it is of genuine historic significance, keep it original.

Have a 1972 rhd VW Karmann Ghia with 46k original miles, owned it in 1980 , sold it after 2 years, regretted selling it , managed to buy it back 25 years later and then spent next 5 years restoring it. Was tempted to lower it, change colour of paintwork etc but in the end decided to keep original, original factory paint colours, original interior, engine original and totally stock, only exception is 165 tyres as opposed to 155 and GT Beetle sports wheels (same size as original steel wheels). If the car is good enough always feel it should be kept as original as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom