• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cleaning Black Exhaust Tips

TW666

Car
2020 C63s Coupe w205
My first car due soon with black exhaust tips (c63s night pack), what should I use to get them spotless without risking damaging the black plating. On dirty silver tips in the past I’ve used very fine wire wool with Autosol. I’m guessing a gentle clean with Autosol should be ok. What other products can you recommend ?

My first car due soon with black exhaust tips (c63s night pack), what should I use to get them spotless without risking damaging the black plating. On dirty silver tips in the past I’ve used very fine wire wool with Autosol. I’m guessing a gentle clean with Autosol should be ok. What other products can you recommend ?
Autosol yes, wire wool most definitely NO, just use a soft cloth. I've used wire wool in the past on chrome exhaust tips and ruined them.

My car is also happens to be a night pack and to be honest, I just cleaned the tips along with the rest of the car (basically, snow foam, shampoo, rinse, dry) they didn't seem to need any special treatment to come up with a nice shine on them. But then the car isn't getting much use at the moment so they weren't exactly dirty to begin with.

You wont ruin decent chrome with wire wool....much to hard.....but you will damage stainless .....but fine scratches like that can easily be polished out of SS.

you will damage night pack exhausts with wire wool. Autosol should be enough, depending on car they do Pitt/chip a fair bit.

I've used oven cleaner to great effect. Spray on and leave for an hour, gets majority of the black off, then finish with auosol polish

WD 40 and micro fibre cloth works well without any risk of scratching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom