Clearly I have bought a magnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can someone explain the mindset of these people?

Perhaps they find it easier to park in line with another car or are filling the spaces sequentially, much like standing in a queue, or maybe they think that as there is already a car parked they are only leaving one side available for their car to get damaged by another motorist.

Does it matter?

Does it matter?

They park closer to me than I would have parked to them

Maybe it's me then?

I got rear ended just before christmas, split bumper and some denting to tailgate, my tow bar made a mess of his front.

He admitted liability at roadside and because he was in works van, I needed to speak to his boss, which I thought they may then try and wriggle out of it.

As they were a firm of electricians I decided to get them to do quite a few repairs and installations around my property rather than involve the insurance and sort the car later in the year when things are quieter

Not so bad as I do repair vehicles anyway.

I got rear ended just before christmas, split bumper and some denting to tailgate, my tow bar made a mess of his front.

He admitted liability at roadside and because he was in works van, I needed to speak to his boss, which I thought they may then try and wriggle out of it.

As they were a firm of electricians I decided to get them to do quite a few repairs and installations around my property rather than involve the insurance and sort the car later in the year when things are quieter

Not so bad as I do repair vehicles anyway.

Nice one :thumb:

I'm a driving instructor and use an A160 to teach in.

Not long ago a lady just barely touched the rear of our car while stationary.

Been there done that.

Indicated for her to pull over and exchange names and adresses.

Upon looking at the car, she noted that the rear bumper had a very slight mark on it. "Oh, that should polish out" she said.

I replied, "Are you a professional panel beater? I will take it in and get an opinion, there might be damage behind the bumper."

$660 dollars later, thru my insurance company charging it to her insurance company, car fixed.

No hassles and photos of her car (with reg. no plate clearly shown), my car, deleted from phone.

"Show no mercy." is my policy.

KenM:D

I just love people pulling out of give ways as you are still both approaching and passing.... no patience and no road awareness aswell as a total lack of respect for other road users.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Black coloured cars are more likely to be hit than any other colour.

Sorry to hear this, I hope you get it sorted soon. :)
GULP. I have a new black C350 on order. My first black car for about 40 years!

I sometimes think my car is a magnet.
I can park in a isolated parking space and attract other motorists to park close to me.
They seem drawn to me or the car even to the point of ignoring other spaces just to get closer. At first I thought I was being paranoid or obsessive but as I got there first it must be them.
Good to know I'm not the only one to have experienced this phenomenon. One of my cars is a bright red 1990 Porsche 944 Cabriolet that I only take out of the garage on dry sunny days. Whenever I park up anywhere I always aim for a spot well away from everyone else in an attempt to keep the bodywork free from any dents shaped like door edges. If it means an extra few minutes walk to the shop/restaurant/whatever I don't mind. But when I return I invariably find a car or two parked next to me and still nothing else for a dozen or so spaces either side. Once I had a car parked so close I couldn't even open my driver's door, but fortunately I'd left the top down so was able to clamber over and in that way. :wallbash:

I sometimes think my car is a magnet.
I can park in a isolated parking space and attract other motorists to park close to me.
They seem drawn to me or the car even to the point of ignoring other spaces just to get closer. At first I thought I was being paranoid or obsessive but as I got there first it must be them.

Sometimes , if I see another nice Mercedes in a car park I like to park next to it . Not so long ago , at my local Tesco I parked next to a lonely CLS in the far corner of the car park : when I returned , lo and behold , four Mercs in a row :D

The CLS , my W126 , a W203 and an A Class .

But this is more damage than 4 years with the previous car so I am thinking of putting tyres round the side of my car like they do on boats as clearly I have bought a magnet.
When I bought my CLK it was less than 2 years old but had a couple of small scratches on the rear nearside wing so I took it to the local bodyshop to be fixed. On my way home after it was done and the car looked like new again, I parked in a pub car park and popped across the road to see a friend. Less than a couple of minutes later we heard a bang and looked out of the window to see that a brewer's dray had caught the back of my CLK and dragged it a couple of feet to one side. The driver said he wasn't even aware, but couldn't deny the damage that was far worse than the scratches I'd just had repaired. The brewery paid for the repair without any problem, but so annoying that I'd only paid for a resprayed wing that very day. :doh:

A year or so later my wife was reversing out of a space made particularly tight by a 4x4 driver unable to park between the lines next to her when she hit the corner of another car - damaging the CLK's rear nearside wing again. More repairs needed. :mad:

A couple of years later I caught that very same wing on a post protecting a pump in a petrol station when I was in a massive hurry. :doh: I didn't get it repaired for a few months, but then only a couple of weeks later white van man was attracted to THAT wing in a car park. :wallbash:

So I think I may have the biggest magnet of all, but at least it's only in that wing. The rest of the car hasn't attracted any attention in the 10+ years I've had it.:crazy:

Sometimes , if I see another nice Mercedes in a car park I like to park next to it . Not so long ago , at my local Tesco I parked next to a lonely CLS in the far corner of the car park : when I returned , lo and behold , four Mercs in a row :D

The CLS , my W126 , a W203 and an A Class .

You should have put FOR SALE signs on them all.

So I think I may have the biggest magnet of all, but at least it's only in that wing. The rest of the car hasn't attracted any attention in the 10+ years I've had it.:crazy:

Does the car now sit lower that side?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom