Clicking noise on full turn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jupiter2step

Car
S211 E220 CDI Avantagarde
Recently I've noticed an occasional / intermittent clicking noise when turning hard at low speed (eg, parking etc). It seems to be coming from the front end of the car. Power steering fluid seems ok, but my mechanical knowledge is limited. A trawl of the web suggests possible issues with CV/ ball joints or wheel bearings. Any suggestions?

Recently I've noticed an occasional / intermittent clicking noise when turning hard at low speed (eg, parking etc). It seems to be coming from the front end of the car. Power steering fluid seems ok, but my mechanical knowledge is limited. A trawl of the web suggests possible issues with CV/ ball joints or wheel bearings. Any suggestions?

Sounds like one or both of your CV joints need replaced, I would replace both even if it is only one of them cause you will find that the other one will go in about 6 months.
A company called J and R CV joints are a good place, I have bought of them before and are usually about £25 per side with 2 year warranty.

Cheers - that was the first thing that occurred to me, but a colleague tells me RWD vehicles don't have CV joints? Confusing! :~/

Cheers - that was the first thing that occurred to me, but a colleague tells me RWD vehicles don't have CV joints? Confusing! :~/

Of course they do, all cars have CV joints at the front its what allows the wheels to be able to be turned and still stay at a constant velocity hence CV joint, rear wheel drive has nothing to do with it

CV joints on the front of a RWD car ? I dont think so !
Why would non driven wheels need to revolve at a constant velocity ?

RWD cars most definitely do not have CV joints on the front, they have stub axles which turn in ball joints. They do wear and can indeed make funny noises when worn.

Thanks Bolide ! It would probably make the car steer better than if they didn't rotate ! I didnt make my point very eloquently did I ?

For info for anyone who experiences similar symptoms - garage identified problem as being seized alternator pulley. Replaced relatively inexpensively and seems to have done the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom