• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLK 320 CDI Sport '09 Engine remap?

Mrbottomend

Car
CLK 320 CDI Sport
Hi, am glad to have joined here and thanks to those who have so far been enlightening me on matters suspension.

Now, remapping! I have seen a variety of threads/comments on here about this, but would appreciate it if anyone can tell me good/bad stories about remapping experiences with this engine..I am not out to become a supercar beater, but if I can get an ounce more mpg, and a few more BHPs/Ns to give the backside climbing monkeys a bit more of a surprise (I am model unbadged and the single exhaust, so already discreet-ish) I wouldn't mind.

And, if good ifea, anywhere Hants way anyone know trustworthy and good value for the like?

Muchos Gracias for any assistance! Tell me for a fool if you wish! And no, don't think can afford Brabus kit at something like £2500 or so I think.

I'd save my money for maintenance- just my opinion. MSL have a good rep on here for mapping.

I'd save my money for maintenance- just my opinion. MSL have a good rep on here for mapping.
Cheers for advice. Have you looked into this yourself? Any key reasons why not good idea other than weighing up maintenance versus remap generally in your opinion? Cheers re MLS rep tip off. Will see if they comment, or if anyone knows if I can get some advice from them...Ta again!

Cheers for advice. Have you looked into this yourself? Any key reasons why not good idea other than weighing up maintenance versus remap generally in your opinion? Cheers re MLS rep tip off. Will see if they comment, or if anyone knows if I can get some advice from them...Ta again!
MSL not MLS DOH sorry!

Well I have slightly pree-mpted by chatting to a guy at AM tuning in Waterlooville.

He has quoted approx. 34/35 BHP and 60 torque gains at £250 with approx. 15% mpg gain.

These do not sound outlandish claims as have seen elsewhere, and I hope may not require much if anything in other mods to cope, though willing to be told different/off!

Also has hydrogen engine clean service at plus £50. Anyone know anything about this and the value/risks/issues? Or good to do?

Danke!

my tip for better mpg...

lighter use of the throttle and empty all the garbage from the boot to save weight (and remove roof bars if fitted)

my tip for better mpg...

lighter use of the throttle and empty all the garbage from the boot to save weight (and remove roof bars if fitted)

:-) Yes, well no bars, and boot empty except few little bits. As for throttle. am pretty good most of time, apart from odd burst to escape dawdlers or plonkers...at cruise tend to keep at 2000 or below, and again only occasional and careful exception...am one of these saddos who tries not to use my brakes except where absolutely necessary.. and not behave like an eejit...on latter...well do try to put a few eejits in their place..e.g. inside lane..and maybe the odd hotheadhatcher…

Still, as you know anyway, the mpg would be nice but don't expect a huge lot, the power nicer...just step it from quite meaty to a bit more so, without going crazy..I do not intend to ask them to map for Nurburgringing for example.

Have feeling some think remap sacrilegious or daft..Have not booked in so open to persuasion on if to do, place and how far can push before other expense like suspension, springs, brakes need doing...taking as read if do get done will trust the place not to exceed safety limits on current set up.

Cheers all!

:) Yes, well no bars, and boot empty except few little bits. As for throttle. am pretty good most of time, apart from odd burst to escape dawdlers or plonkers...at cruise tend to keep at 2000 or below, and again only occasional and careful exception...am one of these saddos who tries not to use my brakes except where absolutely necessary.. and not behave like an eejit...on latter...well do try to put a few eejits in their place..e.g. inside lane..and maybe the odd hotheadhatcher…

Still, as you know anyway, the mpg would be nice but don't expect a huge lot, the power nicer...just step it from quite meaty to a bit more so, without going crazy..I do not intend to ask them to map for Nurburgringing for example.

Have feeling some think remap sacrilegious or daft..Have not booked in so open to persuasion on if to do, place and how far can push before other expense like suspension, springs, brakes need doing...taking as read if do get done will trust the place not to exceed safety limits on current set up.

Cheers all!

my post was (partly) tongue in cheek...

i'm in the camp of not understanding why people want / need to fiddle with an engine map. The costs, including insurance ramifications, and additional wear'n'tear mean it doesn't make sense to me.

If I want a faster car, i'd buy a different one - not that i'd get much chance to use another 20-50 bhp....

I know the manufacture settings are a compromise.

But we are all free to tinker...

my post was (partly) tongue in cheek...

i'm in the camp of not understanding why people want / need to fiddle with an engine map. The costs, including insurance ramifications, and additional wear'n'tear mean it doesn't make sense to me.

If I want a faster car, i'd buy a different one - not that i'd get much chance to use another 20-50 bhp....

I know the manufacture settings are a compromise.

But we are all free to tinker...
Yes, kinda got the tongue/cheek bit but as a serious beggar also trying to dig deeper...and understand your points..Not sure can sell mine, spend remap money and get anything much faster/less or equal costly to run as mine now...needs money spent to get to full value and that prob means no gain...s say just sometimes that extra 10/20% horses would add a tad of fun and utility...and for £250...well, am still tempted :-)

It depends where that power is. - No use to you at 7000rpm, but at 2000rpm that's a different matter.

My personal opinion is that if you want performance, diesel is not the right engine choice. - Having said that, they're not all tractors and I know there is some love for them.

The Brabus box works brilliantly, and gives better figures than you mentioned above. and all the time being completely reversible. You also don't have to worry about the dealer wiping your precious remap when doing a software update.

Why not look out for one on Ebay?

Fitting takes about an hour (with tea breaks).

That being said, don't expect to be wowed by the "Butt-Dyno" it really doesn't feel that much faster.... the figures tell the real story though..

It depends where that power is. - No use to you at 7000rpm, but at 2000rpm that's a different matter.

My personal opinion is that if you want performance, diesel is not the right engine choice. - Having said that, they're not all tractors and I know there is some love for them.

Thanks..well the oes that do it say it gives power throughout, and better lower down than higher in fact...also that diesel is better than petrol for this, plus the 3.0 unit or more acc the 2987 unit is supposed be one of the all time longevity heroes of the engine world...servicing etc aside...so conflicting views as well but on balance sounds if get right place will be a good thing.

The Brabus box works brilliantly, and gives better figures than you mentioned above. and all the time being completely reversible. You also don't have to worry about the dealer wiping your precious remap when doing a software update.

Why not look out for one on Ebay?

Fitting takes about an hour (with tea breaks).

That being said, don't expect to be wowed by the "Butt-Dyno" it really doesn't feel that much faster.... the figures tell the real story though..
Cheers, KJ...not the KJ I assume! Yes, on surface research so far Brabus option looks best but expensive...will look on ebay as suggested.

MSL have quoted 350 remap and 100 dyno...am not sure yet what 'dyno' element is, but have asked what adds to gains, and if not much may leave out...
Self fitting? Does it self tune to car then? Prob wouldn't risk that tbh! Unless idiot job for an idiot.

Ta again!

The Brabus box just interfaces with all the sensors that are already there, using piggy-back plugs.

From then on the received/transmitted data from/to the ECU is modified for more power and torque. Very much like a remap, but completely reversible at home.

The BIG difference is that (if the Brabus Box is fitted by the dealer) it doesn't invalidate the Mercedes guarantee...... No tuner will offer you that reassurance!

And no, I'm not the famous 70's DJ, and wouldn't admit it if I was. Just an ex-Jensen owner, who got stuck with the nickname.

The Brabus box just interfaces with all the sensors that are already there, using piggy-back plugs.

From then on the received/transmitted data from/to the ECU is modified for more power and torque. Very much like a remap, but completely reversible at home.

The BIG difference is that (if the Brabus Box is fitted by the dealer) it doesn't invalidate the Mercedes guarantee...... No tuner will offer you that reassurance!

And no, I'm not the famous 70's DJ, and wouldn't admit it if I was. Just an ex-Jensen owner, who got stuck with the nickname.

Cheers for that KJ! Yes, have basic understanding of how it works, but just have seen some scary prices and nothing by way of a second hand kit could see on ebay...take your point of course that Brabus pretty much a banker...but if bank won't be raided...and no guarantee left at 10 years and 101k miles I suspect anyway...Unless could get a Brabus set up for under £1k fitted v unlikely, and will have to rely on places with good reps/reviews/experience..seems as long as not cowboys general view out there seems to be it's ok and little risk unless trying to exceed car performance specs/tolerances...

Still, all opinions help!

I met him once...KJ...he was actually quite friendly and not too up his own behind,,,mind think at time he was marching to a Colombian tune! Maybe wrong of course!

Which Jensen? FF was my fave...think had double side grill that one...remember admiring as a kid. Mind my Dad was a Bristol envier, and had a huge Alvis saloon once!

OK, I understand that if you get a Brabus box on ebay, the guarantee will be invalid, but my point was that the engineering (software) is such that the parameters of the power delivery won't exceed reliability limits. There's always a chance that a remapping company will go too far in trying to get customer-attracting power outputs to give themselves a commercial edge.
Which it's why you asked the question in the first place I guess.

Just look for someone on here that's had a remap he's pleased with and hasn't thrown a con-rod in a couple of years....

Bear in mind my point about the dealer's software updates though.

Sorry to say my Jensen was only an Interceptor, it was a deliberate choice on my part to avoid over-complication. Little did I realise the direction that cars were going (and end up with a W164!)

OK, I understand that if you get a Brabus box on ebay, the guarantee will be invalid, but my point was that the engineering (software) is such that the parameters of the power delivery won't exceed reliability limits. There's always a chance that a remapping company will go too far in trying to get customer-attracting power outputs to give themselves a commercial edge.

Just look for someone on here that's had a remap he's pleased with and hasn't thrown a con-rod in a couple of years....

Sorry to say my Jensen was only an Interceptor, it was a deliberate choice on my part to avoid over-complication. Little did I realise the direction that cars were going (and end up with a W164!)

Thanks...am gen most appreciative of the time and effort people here put into answering my novice questions!

Cheers. Have said on 'nother thread much appreciate all the guidance and wisdom and time answering..

OK So am aware of some unscrupulous types out there who will push the performance to and beyond sensible limits/tolerances of car as stands.... Have seen figures of up to say around 80 BHP gain...but am wary of those...that's why impressed with the guy who said about 35-40 and plus 60 torques...and maybe 10 - 15% mpg if not booting...seemd conservative, and reasonable price too...Mark at AM Waterlooville...so if anyone heard/know of them be good for a ref?

The other issue was whether anyone heard of the hydrogen clean for the engine etc he is proposing ..may start another thread to keep simple.

As for Brabus, well could not see anything resembling a second hand unit anyway...lots of Brabus cars and bits but no kits I could see..

Wouldn't be sorry about the Interceptor...a classic,,,so you should be proud of that in your car bio...though have heard elsewhere they were buggers...or maybe you had a sweet one...must say 164 slight swerve from a Jensen..

I have the same OM642 engine in a 2007 Vito ... owned from new, full dealer service history, completely stock. Started to run into problems last year at about 96k miles ... had it in limp mode (sometimes with EML on, sometimes not) no less than eight times and off the road for almost 7 weeks in total. Biggest issue was that the exhaust manifolds contain liners where they meet the block, which are known to de-laminate and send debris into the turbo. New manifolds and new turbo required - engine out job, and a bill of almost £4k (after a hefty discount). Also had the EGR valve fail last year, and the MAS, and a DPF temperature sensor (which had seized and had to be drilled out). And (very minor) a couple of glowplugs. Prior to that the CPS failed, and the DPF pressure sensor. Touch wood it's going OK now but after a total repair spend of £6k in the last 12 months (not to mention the major inconvenience) I wouldn't personally consider trying to increase the power output of an engine that's already done 101k miles. I also wouldn't buy another modern/complex diesel, if i could possibly avoid it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom