CLK Roof Not Working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackhammer

SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450H
Morning all

The roof on my clk won't open fully. I flick the switch, the roof opens but the clamshell won't shut fully, the screen just says, 'roof in operation'.

When the roof closes, the clamshell part locks in fully! Does anybody know what the issue is likely to be?

Also I would be grateful for any convertible roof repair recommendations in East London/Essex area. Looking further afield Cayman autos seem to have decent reviews, has anybody used them before?

Thanks

Most likely either the spigots on the front of the tonneau or the adjustable guides aren’t engaging cleanly.
It’s worth giving these a really good clean using something like wd40, and then lubricating them with white lithium grease.
Do everything that moves/engages - includin the chrome ovals where the other spigots engage. Anlo worth doing all of the hinges.
Try it with just the clean/wd40 first.

Most likely either the spigots on the front of the tonneau or the adjustable guides aren’t engaging cleanly.
It’s worth giving these a really good clean using something like wd40, and then lubricating them with white lithium grease.
Do everything that moves/engages - includin the chrome ovals where the other spigots engage. Anlo worth doing all of the hinges.
Try it with just the clean/wd40 first.

Thanks Ted will give this a go on the weekend as it's meant to rain all week.

Heard back from Cayman autos and it's £100 to diagnose it, does this sound about right ?

Yes - thats around an hours labour these days and the data has to be interpreted - e.g. one switch may not be closing, but it may be because something else has jammed. They are pretty complex pieces of kit, but it is definitely worth a clean up of all of the parts that engage with each other.
Set the roof at half open and just go through everything.
Be aware that after a few minutes you will hear a beeping and the roof will gracefully and slowly sink into the compartment.
I found that the original grease goes hard and sticky, and this can cause it to jam if there is the slightest misalignment.
Hope this sorts it - I think it will. :thumb:

Yes - thats around an hours labour these days and the data has to be interpreted - e.g. one switch may not be closing, but it may be because something else has jammed. They are pretty complex pieces of kit, but it is definitely worth a clean up of all of the parts that engage with each other.
Set the roof at half open and just go through everything.
Be aware that after a few minutes you will hear a beeping and the roof will gracefully and slowly sink into the compartment.
I found that the original grease goes hard and sticky, and this can cause it to jam if there is the slightest misalignment.
Hope this sorts it - I think it will. :thumb:

Ted, the lithium grease worked a treat! 5 mins lubricating moving parts, roof works perfect now! It doesn't 'clunk' at the end when it closes now either. Top man thanks very much !

Reactions: Ted
I forgot to say that if it has that final ‘clunk’ this will fix that too!
Great stuff! Glad you got it sorted :thumb::thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom