CLS - Steering Wheel update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trefor1

Car
2011 CLS 350 petrol + McLaren 570GT coming in June
Hi guys.

Is it possible to replace the truck-like steering wheel in an early CLS with the one from the 2008-2010 model?

In my searching for a car I'm seeing a lot of early models for a good price, I could buy an early CLS 500 V8 and a lot of petrol for the same as a newer model... but I can't be looking at that wheel!

Is it possible to replace the truck-like steering wheel in an early CLS with the one from the 2008-2010 model?

The later 2008 - 2010 wheel is more boat like than truck like although it is a bit more modern looking being a three spoke design.

I see no reason why the later wheel wouldn't be a mechanical straight swap as it only got a cosmetic facelift in `08, whether the connections for the airbag (which you would also need) / controls / paddles would be the same I could not comment.

This is the rear of the facelifted airbag.

732660562_o_zps9d0cfb6a.jpg

The two circled connections are for the paddles . the long thin one is for the buttons on the wheel and the two actual airbag connections are in the centre. This would have to be X referenced with the older wheel.

Kenny

Last edited:
If you want the buttons on the wheel to work you need the really rare version that doesn't have the OK button in the middle of the left hand switches.

It was fitted to the SL for about five minutes between updating the interior and fitting the newer COMAND version.

I've got one of these on mine which uses the old airbag and personally think it takes years off the interior and looks better and more modern than the newer three spoke one...

182345d1273481477-e63-performance-package-alcantara-steering-wheel-sale-amg-performance-package-cls63-e63-steering-wheel.jpg

Last edited:
That's the same as the CLS '55 one (but with leather? Grips)

b1g1an said:
If you want the buttons on the wheel to work you need the really rare version that doesn't have the OK button in the middle of the left hand switches. It was fitted to the SL for about five minutes between updating the interior and fitting the newer COMAND version. I've got one of these on mine which uses the old airbag and personally think it takes years off the interior and looks better and more modern than the newer three spoke one...
That's the one I want for my CL5 for the same reason

That's the same as the CLS '55 one (but with leather? Grips)

Airbag is the original but rim is from a 63 Performance Pack which has Alcantara grips and is much thicker than the 55 with a diiferent profile where you'd normally hold it and also comes with the big metal paddles, the normal 63 rim is the same but with leather all round.

It was the thickness of the rim I hated about the original and wasn't keen on the diameter, this one is actually the same outer diameter but the thickness of it makes it feel and look much smaller. You can't see it in the picture but the rim is oval and is bigger side on, it also doesn't have those dated finger indents on the back.

Perversely, I really enjoy the soft warm feel of the Alcantara along with the cold hard metal of the paddles. Not cheap but something I can appreciate sitting at the lights as much as tonking it down the road, it is, after all, the closest physical contact you have with the car which makes it reasonable compared to a lot of the other common mods.

Last edited:
I did not like very plastic butons on mine facelift CLS Steeringwheel. You should replace LED rear lamps and new shape mirrors to make it look better!

If you want the buttons on the wheel to work you need the really rare version that doesn't have the OK button in the middle of the left hand switches.

It was fitted to the SL for about five minutes between updating the interior and fitting the newer COMAND version.

I've got one of these on mine which uses the old airbag and personally think it takes years off the interior and looks better and more modern than the newer three spoke one...

182345d1273481477-e63-performance-package-alcantara-steering-wheel-sale-amg-performance-package-cls63-e63-steering-wheel.jpg

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of the newer 3 spoke, the update in the picture above isn't quite what I'm after.

Now I'm thinking of waiting 6 months and picking up an early 350 petrol example of the newer model, they seem to occasionally be up for low 20s already...

I think the key here is that I don't HAVE to change, my E39 does its job admirably and has a fresh MOT. Only 143k on the clock and fresh gearbox oil so I'm expecting it to plough on for ages. However like us all, once you get the thought of changing you're scanning the ads all the time, doing research etc. :D

I'm keeping an eye on all non AMG petrol CLSs coming up for sale in case something catches my eye :cool:

Modified facelifted CLS wheel , flat bottomed and Nappa covered.

wheel_zps081e3362.jpg

Kenny

Really like that wheel did you buy it new?

Yep, that's where I got it although the price has gone up. That seller isn't in Sweden as he claims, he's in Poland.

Cheers for the links guys, I am seriously considering buying one of those wheels.
One of my alternatives is to get mine refurbed, with regard to that are the paddle shifters available separately? the same length as those in the pics?
I also really like this one but it specifically states without paddles, but was wondering if it could be modified to take the paddles.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400848152141?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
They are, somewhere between £70 and £100 if I remember right but if the mounting points on the wheel aren't there I think they would be a total **** to fit.

They are also a right fiddle to fit to your existing wheel as the mounting is a different shape but there are many people who have done it and posted pics, can't remember if there are any on here but certainly there are how tos on the US forums. Ignore any warnings about needing wiring adaptors as it is plug and play with our particular cars.

Forgot about the paddles being included with mine...makes the price seem more reasonable :)

After a lengthy chat with Jack at Royal Steering Wheels, he supplied me with my new wheel from a 63. Came with plastic paddles which I changed for aluminium AMG ones. Highly recommend Jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom