• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLS500 2006 Unable to set clock

simonwheeler

Car
CLS500
Hi all. I'm a newbie here, so please go gentle on me!

I have just collected a 2006 CLS500 with the 5.5 V8 engine. She's only done 68,000 miles and runs like a dream.

Couple of little oddities.

1. I am unable to change the clock. The previous owner has replaced the factory entertainment unit with an android / apple play device. He says the only way to change the clock is to disconnect the battery and wait until it's midday! Surely this cannot be correct. Does anyone know a way to get around this without resorting to expensive Mercedes main dealer diagnostics?

2. My mirrors don't seem to adjust when I select reverse. Is this an optional extra and if so, how do I find out what options were actually included in my vehicle?

3. Headlamp washers seem to be fitted to the bumper, but there is no button to operate them inside the cockpit. Is this just a cosmetic feature or should they be operational?

4. The stick-on bonnet badge, is it possible to replace with the old-style raised tri-star?

5. Mine has no cupholder. Do you know if the 'after-market' ones I see on ebay are likely to fit? Or are they just cheap Chinese crap?

6. I don't seem to be able to set the speed from km/h on my computer. I have the main display showing MPH but beneath that is a smaller display showing speed in km/h which I don't seem to be able to change.

All in all, the car handles and drives like a dream. I suspect that in replacing the audio unit, some of the connectivity has been lost, hence the issues identified above. If anyone can shed any light, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Suggest you find yourself an experienced MB independent with STAR...
1. The cluster needs to be recoded to tell the car the COMAND has been removed and then there should be an option in the cluster menu to adjust the clock.
2. Have you tried to adjust them when R is selected and the mirror adjust switch set to the mirror you wish to adjust? Maybe to reverse dip position is currently set the same as normal?
3. The washers operate on the first use of the screen washers, when the headlamps are on and then every 5 or 8 times there after (depends on model/age)
4. I don't think the is space enough below the bonnet to fit the upright star. The bonnet hole is possibly a different size. (Not totally sure on this)
5. No ideas
6. Again it needs STAR diagnosis computer to recode the cluster to remove UK coding (in which kph is required to be displayed to comply with regulations, or at least this is how MB have interpreted the regs) With ROW coding the kph can be replaced with the outside temp display.

Suggest you find yourself an experienced MB independent with STAR...
1. The cluster needs to be recoded to tell the car the COMAND has been removed and then there should be an option in the cluster menu to adjust the clock.
2. Have you tried to adjust them when R is selected and the mirror adjust switch set to the mirror you wish to adjust? Maybe to reverse dip position is currently set the same as normal?
3. The washers operate on the first use of the screen washers, when the headlamps are on and then every 5 or 8 times there after (depends on model/age)
4. I don't think the is space enough below the bonnet to fit the upright star. The bonnet hole is possibly a different size. (Not totally sure on this)
5. No ideas
6. Again it needs STAR diagnosis computer to recode the cluster to remove UK coding (in which kph is required to be displayed to comply with regulations, or at least this is how MB have interpreted the regs) With ROW coding the kph can be replaced with the outside temp display.
Thank you so much. Really appreciated. Any idea where the best place to locate such an independent might be? Cheers again.

This might be of use if you don't have one?
CLS500 handbook

Cambridge is not my neck of the woods, sorry. My go to people (when I had my Mercs) were Comand.co.uk in Lightwater. Probably the most experienced and knowledgeable people regarding coding and MB retrofits.

Re 2 - the left hand mirror only dips if it is selected on the mirror switch and then you select reverse.

Hi
The OEM Cup Holder offering was really designed for use in a LHD Car, as it pops out to the right and could get in the way of the driver though I used one for many years in my CLS55, L

Whoops ran out of time editing.
Hi
The OEM Cup Holder offering was really designed for use in a LHD Car, as it pops out to the right and could get in the way of the driver though I used one for many years in my CLS55, Link to one below.
There was an option code on the CLS which replaced the whole centre console and it had two built in cup holders, which i have now fitted in mine and had the data card updated to have the option code added.
On my CLS the headlight washers can be activated independantly by a button slightly below the main headlight switch.

Theres a proper fix for this (involves some firmware being updated). Talk to comand.co.uk in Lightwater.

Richard

Simon, I am not familiar with your car but if it is the analogue clock which is shwing the wrong time here is what I did with my W221 s class.
Ensure I have an accurate watch on my wrist set to the exact time, at around 1155 I disconnected the earth battery wire in the boot and then at 11.55 and 55 seconds connected it back up, and the clock then works properly.
If you panic a bit and it doesn't work, try it again another day. best of Luck.

As above...just disconnect the battery about 5 minutes to midday...it's what I do too.

On my S mercedes you needed to have the memory front seats for the near side mirror to dip when you engage reverse.

You can change the unit settings in the cluster to switch between km/h and mph - I had the same problem in my CLS55.

There is an option in STAR Developer to set Navigation system to ‘Not present’ and this will allow you to set the time in the cluster. ComandOnline are the best in the country and can code extra things in for you, such as lights that stay for 30 secs on after you lock the car etc. They charged £200 to recode my whole cluster as some options had gone missing when another garage accidentally erased them. Disconnecting the battery isn’t the best option as you’ll have to do it twice a year, every year!

If Lightwater is too far you could call Nick at Parkham garage in Wellingborough and ask if he can code it for you - think he charged £20-40 to do something small for me:

50A0A404-2316-4612-8083-9824F049E2F3.jpeg
D325B7FA-979F-425C-B6FE-D19CCDFB83CB.jpeg

Last edited:
If you do that you lose the nav directions from the cluster. Theres no need to lose those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom