CLS55 AMG Dyno Results

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rosscls55

Car
Thug in a silk dressing gown
Hey everyone. I have a 2005 CLS55 AMG, 116K miles, Xpipe, 2nd cat delete and central resonator delete. Running super unleaded. Everything else standard,

Took it to the dyno today. Stock BHP - 421, Stock Torque 691nm or 510 lb/ft

We then remapped the car. No other mods, no pulleys, etc, just a remap

Remapped BHP 477. Remapped Torque 799nm or 589 lb/ft

All figs are at the crank. They are not the WHP (wheel horsepower). It was a Vtech dyno.

My thoughts - I was surprised at the low bhp on the stock run. Gutted actually, the car felt so much stronger.

Im happy with the gains on the remap and the car pulls a lot better.

What do you think about these figs???

Hey everyone. I have a 2005 CLS55 AMG, 116K miles, Xpipe, 2nd cat delete and central resonator delete. Running super unleaded. Everything else standard,

All figs are at the crank. They are not the WHP (wheel horsepower). It was a Vtech dyno.

My thoughts - I was surprised at the low bhp on the stock run. Gutted actually, the car felt so much stronger.

Stock and remap BHP sounds low for sure unless your engine has taken a huge performance hit over the years

Stock and remap BHP sounds low for sure unless your engine has taken a huge performance hit over the years
I was shocked at how low the BHP was because the car feels mighty. Torque was ok but it didn't hold a flat curve. It dropped off quickly which explains the low BHP. Is there anyone on here...perhaps an experienced MB tuner, who can offer an explanation for this and suggest a solution??

I was shocked at how low the BHP was because the car feels mighty. Torque was ok but it didn't hold a flat curve. It dropped off quickly which explains the low BHP. Is there anyone on here...perhaps an experienced MB tuner, who can offer an explanation for this and suggest a solution??
You need to visit Acid at MSL - he is the expert.

Hey buddy, it does sound a bit low??? Could I ask, how or what did you use to gut the cats as there are kinks in the pipe. Thanks

Your remapped figures are no better than those for a stock M113K; my stock E55, on 120K miles, made 483 bhp and 580 lb ft. If the car was standard apart from the modified exhaust, I'd suspect the exhaust is the problem. Get it booked in at MSL...

Could it be a cooling problem?

Thanks everyone. I dont think its a cooling issue. I've just swapped over the IC pump for a new one. And regarding the exhaust....since I had the xpipe and secondary cat delete, I didn't notice any power loss at all. Bit of a mystery this one. And I cant get hold of Acid..I've called his mobile....he's not answering.

Of course, it's possible there was a problem with the dyno, or the operator's interpretation. If you add 14% to the original 'crank' figure, you get 489, which is about what you would expect from a slight gain with just the exhaust modifications. What if that 421 bhp was in fact the recorded wheel bhp, not the computed crank bhp?

When was the last time it had new spark plugs? There's been plenty of cases of low readings that significantly improve with new plugs.

Hi guys. The plugs were changed 5000 miles ago and the bhp figs are definitely at the crank

One thing Ive just thought about. I only use the car at weekends, it often sits 7 days or so between use. Everytime I start it, I get a message on the dash saying "loss of convenience functions until battery is fully charged" After a couple of mins, it goes away. Could a poor battery be responsible for such a low bhp reading??

Dynos are really only good for getting relative data i.e. before and after making changes to a vehicle. Even then they can still be manipulated by changing the testing parameters (not suggesting that’s happened here). You got decent gains after the mods? Different dynos are known to give different bhp figures, so you could always take it somewhere else and get a re-run? If the car pulls strongly and you’re happy with it then I would just carry on enjoying it 👍

Hi guys. The plugs were changed 5000 miles ago and the bhp figs are definitely at the crank
Do you have information on the power and torque at the wheels? Do you know what the assumed transmission losses were?

If the engine is running well then I would be tempted to get it on another rolling road and see the results of that before making any conclusions.

Surely the figures you have for the ‘crank’ are just calculated/estimated, you haven’t measured at the crank - just worked back from the tyres with a guess on the drivetrain losses?

So either the dyno isn’t accurate, or the drivetrain losses have been incorrectly calculated, or your car is about 10% down on power?

If the car is running well it’s probably the former - if it’s the latter then either the exhaust is having a huge affect on performance or you need to start at ‘stage zero’ and check the basics are healthy - compression, fuelling, ignition etc.

But having re-read the first post, how did the dyno place achieve those figures (more than 50+bhp/100+Nm) from just a remap with no increase in boost etc? Not saying that this is the case but it has been known for tuning places that have their own dyno to massage figures to exaggerate gains etc.

The crank figures are computed from what is recorded by the dyno at the wheels. The correction factor for power loss between crank and wheels is usually taken as 14%, though some tuners use 18%, which will give higher 'headline' crank results.

It would be useful to see the power run graphs too? :)

It would be useful to see the power run graphs too? :)
Here are the 2 graphs....before and after. I've no issue with the accuracy of their dyno. Reason being...I've seen their graphs on their FB page when they test "standard" cars and their figs are always really close to the manufacturers figs. Must be my car. Also, my car produces no supercharger whine at all.

Attachments

• 20211231_184642.jpg
    20211231_184642.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211231_184628.jpg
    20211231_184628.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 20
Update on this - took the car to MSL today. Acid and his team were just amazing. Turns out the most likely reason for the low dyno results at the other place I took it to were - 1. Their dyno was possibly not calibrated. 2. There were huge holes in my air intake pipes which would have raised the IAT's. So, I taped up/over with the air intakes as a temp fix with gaffer tape, and on Acids dyno, it ran 545 bhp and 647 lb/ft. Thankfully, as Acid said, my engine is strong and healthy. Not bad figs for a 116K mile car with just a remap and xpipe!!!

Excellent figures from just a remap and exhaust work:thumb:
MSL really know their stuff when it comes to AMG's.

Glad its turned out OK and you have a healthy car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom