CLS55 AMG standard BHP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes the drag is 'a drag' especially when talking about showroom cars with big BHP. Once you get near to 200 mph aero really starts to tell.
Formula 1 cars have a drag coefficient worse than your moms 1.3lt hatchback , but that's not what their aerodynamics are about.

I would have guessed the CLS being more AE than the E given the sleak body.

It's because the CL is a Lean,Mean,Machine John ;):cool:

Indeed! Mine would do quite well even running only 435BHP (although I have no idea what it is actually running at).

Thanks, that's really interesting. It goes back to what we were saying earlier though - if a fit CLS55AMG is actually 500bhp, not 469, does that mean that in reality it is a 200mph car? I suspect very few people who derestrict them do so without doing some tuning at the same time - the two things often go hand in hand.

Some quick maths suggests that based on your figures, a CLS55 AMG is *just* a 200mph car if it is developing 506bhp...
Theoretically 502 BHP at the crank would do it. Just.

700BHP = ??

Theoretically 502 BHP at the crank would do it. Just.

Whilst in the real world it doesn't matter, I do like the fact that not very much money can now get you a good looking, civilised, 500bhp/200mph car. They are reliable and insurable too. As a kid I used to read articles about Testarossa's and Countach's and wonder what it would be like to drive a car that fast...

nicfaz .. post pics of your stunning designo mystic blue CLS55. I miss it very much!

It's been standard practice for ages that manufacturers quote a minimum guaranteed max power so they can't be sued if one makes less and the majority will produce more out of the box, in some cases a lot more, but there's probably some poor soul out there where all the tolerances went in the wrong direction and they only get the quoted power.

It's been standard practice for ages that manufacturers quote a minimum guaranteed max power so they can't be sued if one makes less and the majority will produce more out of the box, in some cases a lot more, but there's probably some poor soul out there where all the tolerances went in the wrong direction and they only get the quoted power.
Yes, but in these days of global cars the minimum power is the minimum anywhere the car is sold. I remember an article about the (then new) Bentley Flying Spur where the head of Bentley said that they had a lot of customers in the middle east and if Bentley said that the car had 500bhp, it had to be able to produce that on some rolling road in a desert in 50C temps. It was why Bentley only quoted a 195mph top speed when the car was easily capable of 200mph.

Yes, but in these days of global cars the minimum power is the minimum anywhere the car is sold. I remember an article about the (then new) Bentley Flying Spur where the head of Bentley said that they had a lot of customers in the middle east and if Bentley said that the car had 500bhp, it had to be able to produce that on some rolling road in a desert in 50C temps. It was why Bentley only quoted a 195mph top speed when the car was easily capable of 200mph.

Yep my dyno best was 501 2 months ago but I bet it's less in this current heat.

All I know is mine goes over 200... proven in Mexico

Is your car standard or if not, what mods have you done?

I always knew an E55K was capable of 200mph but I could never prove it as runways were are not long enough unless you have insane power.

I also wasn't prepared to try on the public road. Imagine getting caught doing 200!

I hoped the guys I sold the car to would have a go when they went to Germany but they said when they wanted to try it was raining.

Is your car standard or if not, what mods have you done?

I always knew an E55K was capable of 200mph but I could never prove it as runways were are not long enough unless you have insane power.

I also wasn't prepared to try on the public road. Imagine getting caught doing 200!

I hoped the guys I sold the car to would have a go when they went to Germany but they said when they wanted to try it was raining.

No mines far from standard but I'd think a standard car would get there with a long enough road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom