• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

COMAND not taking the fastest route

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
I have COMAND fitted on my S205 (2015) - software is up to date, map is on the latest version and also set to 'fastest' route mode.....yet it's started doing odd things over the past week like trying to avoid toll roads (specifically Dartford bridge/tunnel) and also seemingly not selecting the fastest route, and doggedly sticking to the set route, but then when it finally re-calcs (to the route I want to follow instead) it comes back with the better route i.e. faster or shorter. I've tried switching between route modes fastest and dynamic (to no avail) and also looked at toll-road options but can't actually see how you can positively enable toll-routes. Any suggestions, please?

Sadly, COMAND NTG5*2 isn't the best navigation system MB have ever made.

That title probably goes to (now obsolete?) NTG4.5.

When you say 'software is up to date' has the dealer updated the COMAND firmware in your car recently?

also looked at toll-road options but can't actually see how you can positively enable toll-routes.
Its in there, you can, im in France at the moment so have the switched off, have a dig around in the settings.

Sadly, COMAND NTG5*2 isn't the best navigation system MB have ever made.

That title probably goes to (now obsolete?) NTG4.5.

When you say 'software is up to date' has the dealer updated the COMAND firmware in your car recently?
Agreed.

I would ask the dealer to update the firmware to the latest version. The route guidance on my NTG 5*2 and NTG 5*1 systems sometimes leaves me thinking 'Is this really the best route?'. I have both set to calculate route choices and all three can be questionable at times.

We have COMAND NTG 5.5 in our 2019 C Class and that also doesn't always select the fastest route - ignore the directions and the ETA may well drop when it accepts the route you've chosen! Our TomTom does the same - both have the latest maps loaded, live traffic, and 'fastest' as the route type.

For toll roads it should always include those as an option unless you've chosen to avoid them. What you *really* want is to know the time difference between taking a route with tolls and one without - AFAIK you can only get that 'manually' by turning the option on and off and looking at the difference. Unfortunately with toll roads on it will select that route even if only 1 minute quicker than avoiding them.

Firmware was updated when I bought the car in March. I appreciate it’s not the latest satnav system but COMAND on my 205 C43 (identical system) seemed to work more efficiently.

I have COMAND fitted on my S205 (2015) - software is up to date, map is on the latest version
The latest version was released in 2020, so at least 3 years out of date already.

The latest version was released in 2020, so at least 3 years out of date already.

The latest firmware might be newer than the maps though?

And it's more like 4 years out of date then... if you look at the date of the HERE cartography data in the engineering menu, it's typically around one year prior to the version date. I guess it takes time to convert the raw data into a distributable product.

Firmware would have been latest version available to MB dealers, as of March 2023, and it's the firmware that is key to operating efficiently and not the map version.

Why is satnav on what is generally regarded as a premier marque be so rubbish! Always puzzled me

I have yet to drive a car with SatNav that is approaching, let alone better than Waze or Google Maps :thumb:
Anything Garmin based is utterly gash.

I have in the past been a user of both Garmin & TomTom - both are totally overwhelmed by Waze or Google Maps.

I must confess to much preferring Waze probably as it users real time data collected from users to come up with the best route, and warn you of obstructions.

Google Maps use pre-programmed routes and while Google Maps may flag obstacles or traffic hazards, it will still send you on the same route even if those hazards might slow you down. If you want to avoid these hazards you have to decide on an alternate route

I have yet to drive a car with SatNav that is approaching, let alone better than Waze or Google Maps :thumb:

I use both from time to time in the Vito as that doesn't have COMAND, but a relatively small phone screen isn't ideal so for planned trips I use a TomTom with live traffic and IQ Maps. When we're towing the caravan Mrs BTB normally has a phone app running as well to sanity check any route that's off the motorways / A roads. Any satnav set to 'fastest' will sometimes route you down quite small roads as short cuts.

Our C Class has Android Auto so I can display Google Maps on the main screen, but of course it doesn't integrate with the cluster display like COMAND does (showing the overview map where the rev. counter would be and next turn info. in the centre).

I’ve found that the COMAND sat nav is far more accurate on journey times than Google Maps.

Hi , I have a C207E400 with command 5.5 , totally up to date and I am being kind by describing the system as total rubbish.

As an example when you drive past a turning that you should have driven down 50 meters later it tells you to turn.

Exiting a roundabout when you again 50 meters up the road it tells you exit the roundabout.

However , I have found if you drive the car at 30 mph it gives correct and timely instruction !

It appears that the faster you drive the car the Mercedes system cannot adjust to increased road speed.

If I need a Sat Nav I just plug in my Garmin machine.

Never missed a beat , cost £120.00

My experience is that it is not possible to use in London a satnav that doesn't have realtime maps - like Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Maps do.

The roads' layout changes constantly (this started during COVID and hasn't stopped since). Streets become one-way. New LTNs close some streets permanently, and some only during certain hours. Cycle lanes and bus lanes are added and then removed. Junctions are redesigned and redesigned and redesigned time after time... right turns are forbidden in some junctions, then they are allowed again. Not to mention traffic changes due to Crossrail and now HS2. No satnav that relies on maps being updated every one or two years can ever cope with that. Even my Hyundai, that gets maps update every few months OTA, drives me up closed roads.

On UK Motorways, the situation is better, thankfully, and I can use the car's original satnav.

So it's a thumbs up from me (as a Londoner) to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom