Crime and Punishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3568245.stm

So what else could be done for such kids?

I favour structured programmes that actively inolve the youngsters in finding out what a car really is - a bl**dy great WoMD in the wrong hands.

A ban is apt - but clearly doesn't work, so needs to be enforced, fines are pointless - he has no money so how could he pay anyway? I'd like to get them involved in the community someway, something positive. I know some see this as a soft option - but we know the others don't work.

Does anyone else think he won't be back in court someday?

I think I won't bother renewing my insurance this time around, I don't know why I spend £1700 on the premium when the fine is only £100 for not being insured, and then maybe if I sit at the back of the court for 30 minutes I won't have to pay anything.

Daft

Tempting to check with the Court - if I sit at the back for a while, will they pay me? ;)

Practically speaking, the driving ban still stands, and the local Police are likely to see this as the starting point - get caught driving whilst disqualified twice and its a 3 month stretch.

The number of people not bothering with insurance is outragous - although there are significant advances being made - there is now a database of vehicle insurance which is being provided to Police. With Automatic Number Plate Readers, this means that uninsured drivers can be "pulled" out of a line of legit vehicles.

Of course the cops get criticised (by some parts of the media) for "speed checks" when in fact they are using ANPR technology.... :D

Flip said:
The number of people not bothering with insurance is outragous - although there are significant advances being made - there is now a database of vehicle insurance which is being provided to Police. With Automatic Number Plate Readers, this means that uninsured drivers can be "pulled" out of a line of legit vehicles.
The secret is to look respectable. I have seen a few of those traffic police TV shows now and it seems to me that the uninsured, unlicenced tax-dodgers highlight themselves by driving in a stupid manner, wearing shell suits or baseball caps or fail to wear their seatbelts. ALL the people pulled over for "looking suspicious" on one of those shows were targetted because they weren't wearing seatbelts (easy money if they're caught). If they had bothered to put a seatbelt on they would probably have got away with it. A few of them were also carrying drugs and were under the influence of either drink or drugs (Bingo! A traffic cop's dream really). A few of them immediately tried to avoid the police and were chased until they crashed, so the book was thrown at them in court for about 50 driving offences in addition to the items they would have been stopped for in the first place.

So no-one is going to suspect a smartly dressed person in a clean, well maintained-looking mercedes, they will look straight through the car and driver and concentrate on the neds and kevs in their beaten-up novas.

Shude said:
I think I won't bother renewing my insurance this time around, I don't know why I spend £1700 on the premium when the fine is only £100 for not being insured, and then maybe if I sit at the back of the court for 30 minutes I won't have to pay anything.

Seems good logic, I hope they don't confiscate your car ! :(

3 strikes

i believe in this rule if you get court 3 times then away for life and life means life, totally fed up with up with this namby pamby *laire run state, goody do gooders mucking it up for us all,honest payers will always be punished in the wallet while those who have nothing are hell bent on wreaking what we have all worked hard for, social education just give some dungaree wherein beardy lefty employment,the simple fact is if they mess with your life you mess with there's by taking away their liberties, point blank no messing , no confusion , no excuses :devil: :bannana:

Shude said:
The secret is to look respectable. I have seen a few of those traffic police TV shows now and it seems to me that the uninsured, unlicenced tax-dodgers highlight themselves by driving in a stupid manner, wearing shell suits or baseball caps or fail to wear their seatbelts. ALL the people pulled over for "looking suspicious" on one of those shows were targetted because they weren't wearing seatbelts (easy money if they're caught). If they had bothered to put a seatbelt on they would probably have got away with it. A few of them were also carrying drugs and were under the influence of either drink or drugs (Bingo! A traffic cop's dream really). A few of them immediately tried to avoid the police and were chased until they crashed, so the book was thrown at them in court for about 50 driving offences in addition to the items they would have been stopped for in the first place.

So no-one is going to suspect a smartly dressed person in a clean, well maintained-looking mercedes, they will look straight through the car and driver and concentrate on the neds and kevs in their beaten-up novas.

I understand one of the first "hits" for anpr around here was a respectable looking chap in a 12 month old SL.

Not the sort of person you would expect to get pulled - just that he had nicked the keys and then the car from a Golf club 100's of miles away a week before.

eeeeeeeeeeek :crazy:

In our local paper we have a section called "court file" Basically telling us whos done what and how easy it is to get away with it :mad: I had a look tonight and found 10 people have been charged with offences ranging from
1. Aged 24. driving whilst disqualifiedand no insurance Banned for a month and £100 costs.

2.Aged 24. No licence not insurance no MOT Fine £100 licence endorsed(What bloody licence)? 8 points and £35 costs.

3.Aged 22. driving with no licence no insurance fined (well not actually)Conditional discharge 12 months.

4.Aged 60.No insurance fined £250 licence endorsed,8 points and £35 costs.

List goes on but from looking at that it certainly pays to be young. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom