• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Crystal lights on 208 or 210

clk230komp

Car
CLK 230 Kompressor
Does the 208 or 210 come with clearer headlights and full beam lights like the crystal lights in the newer e-class?

The headlights and full beam on my 2000 clk 230 look dull and faded. They are not even as effective when driving at night.

OEM W210 Lights:

notsobad001mediumtp9.jpg

Aftermarket 'Crystal' lights:

CIMG0586.jpg

As you can see, the OEM lights arent clear. Reasons for a poor beam maybe down old bulbs, dirty light housing etc.

Have you tried any of the Philips Vison plus bulbs?

Last edited:
As you can see, the OEM lights arent clear. Reasons for a poor beam maybe down old bulbs, dirty light housing etc.
It is likely that the lenses need cleaning, polishing or replacing as they are plastic and after a decade of driving they are probably frosted with stone chips.

"Crystal" headlamps are not brighter, although they do look prettier.

hey, i've just ordered a set of crystal headlamps for my w208, i havent got round to fitting them yet but will do sometime next week. Will post pictures once it is done

hey, i've just ordered a set of crystal headlamps for my w208, i havent got round to fitting them yet but will do sometime next week. Will post pictures once it is done

You did order RHD ones didnt you?

The crystal lights look so much nicer. I'd love to get my hands on them. How much did they cost? if you dont mind me asking.

I have xenon lights. I doubt its the bulbs. The plastic is just like in the pics posted by killerhertz.

Mine are likely faded. The car has been left standing oudoors and uncovered for a couple of years. The housing may also be dirty.

Thanks though the pics are extremely helpful.

I'd be interested to see how this goes as the projector lights on offer are usually made by Depo na the lens quality and water sealing often gets uncomplimentary comments.

I guess it maybe to late to tell you, but there are a set of RHD ones on ebay

You can get them cheaper from the far east. What put me off was the reviews of poor quality light.
A number of owners have subsequently scavanged better lenses from !@* X5 lamps.

Proper crystal ones would be better as there is no light loss through travelling through the lens.

Funny you should mention this, had one of my 211 lamp units replaced under warranty and it's amazing how much clearer it is even though the other one is only 3 yrs old.

30 mins of elbow grease and some Meguiars Plastx has brought the old one almost in line with the clarity of the new one.

Hi, I ordered a set of RHD from Taiwan. Cost me $450, including shipping. It seems pretty good. The w210 lights are generally cheaper than the w208 but they do not fit the w208 (even though they look very similar indeed)

I should be putting them on next week and will give you guys the update on quality etc.

Hi, I ordered a set of RHD from Taiwan. Cost me $450, including shipping. It seems pretty good. The w210 lights are generally cheaper than the w208 but they do not fit the w208 (even though they look very similar indeed)

I should be putting them on next week and will give you guys the update on quality etc.

IIRC, W208 ones are the same as facelift W210's and not pre-facelift.

ive heard from many that they are different, especially on the american forums. the w210 ones can fit but have to be heavily modified, so not a direct fit

the w208 projectors havent been around for too long so not sure about the quality- hopefully they have improved it to the w210 projectors in terms of quality.

I'll wait and see how it turns out, and hopefully it is not too bad of a purchase

I was thinking of checking with some vendors in Dubai - but its LHD country.

Why does RHD and LHD lights make a difference?

Apparently its due to the beam pattern and the way the light is projected - im sure others will shed more light on it, but i do kno that the LHD will not pass the MOT . I looked everywhere and Taiwan was the cheapest place I could find them in RHD.

All headlights are handed to have a blanking of the light so as not to blind oncoming drivers.

Park the car facing a wall or garage door witht he lights on and you will see the beam is flat towards the offside and extends upwards toward the kerb side. this gives a longer beam pattern ono that side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom