Cyclists and other road users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I Googled it...but still don't know what a POB is.

Here's an example of one that's both poinless and dangerous:

A lot of so-called cycle lanes that are ridiculed as being useless are not actually cycle lanes at all, and this example is a case in point.

In 2008, RBKC trialled contraflow cycling on a handful of quiet one-way side streets, with the aim of allowing cyclists to avoid busier, more polluted routes or circuitous detours. As it was only launched as a short-term trial it would not have been cost-effective to install a fully-fledged cycle lane, nor in many cases would the road layout have been conducive to this. So instead, they used indicator markings such as those shown in your photo as guide to show cyclists which part of the road they should use, backed-up by road signs such as that below to advise drivers to expect oncoming cyclists.

4406268062_45682f7da5_o.jpg

This is a pragmatic solution to a real problem faced by cyclists in the area, and has already been proven successful in several major European cities. I believe RBKC is to be applauded for its enlightened approach to how best to use its roadspace, as witnessed by other initiatives and proposals such as drastically reducing street furniture and blurring the boundaries between pavement and carriageway.

Other London boroughs are also now trialling contraflow cycling, and its general popularity with cyclists means it is likely to catch on more widely.

RBKC ?

Yahoo ! suggests Renascence Bulldogge Kennel Club !

I suppose you have to live nearby to recognise the acronym .

I agree that something needs to be done to make cyclists behave more responsibly. There's a set of traffic lights close to my house, which also happens to be the junction leading to a Royal Mail delivery office - I don't think I've ever seen a Postperson on a bike stop at a red light here and that applies to most other cyclists too. As to what can be done, I don't think there's any easy answer, but registration of some sort plus insurance would certainly be a step in the right direction.

I drive by there every day to goto work! I always expect to hit a cyclist as I go over that steep bridge-thing!

Anyhow - there was a post here a while back on a similar vein... I've made my views quite clear on the matter... though I have a bike, motorbike and car - I would be fully in favour of license plates on bicycles or riders!

Why do all other road users have to be held accountable while cyclists can flout the law, endangering other people's lives and then dissapear with it?

M.

Pedestrian On a Bike :)

See, I always read it as Prat On a Bike - mind you, judging by the majority of POB's that's fairly accurate too!

On the subject of contraflow cycle lanes, I have to say that I'm not yet convinced. The ones that I've seen in London have in many cases been in rat-runs where the traffic level is high for aback road during the rush hour (which is when I cycle).

I maintain that the cycle lane in the picture is dangerous because it encourages people to cycle in the "door zone" - hazardous, especially on a residential street like that. In fact, given the narrowness of the street and the cars parked on both sides, the only safe place for a cyclist is straight down the middle. In this case, it does appear to be a contraflow lane - which given the above should have been put somewhere else. Bad cycle lane planning, as usual.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss with that one too - without going to look it up !

Riding a bicycle has many advantages as you don't have to register bicycles or obey any road rules.

I am currently constructing a four person family bicycle which consists of two bicycles welded together with four armchairs in between. Due to the extra weight, I have added an engine and am devising a roof, doors and storage area at the back allowing us to ride in all weather conditions and take it shopping.

Riding a bicycle has many advantages as you don't have to register bicycles or obey any road rules.

I am currently constructing a four person family bicycle which consists of two bicycles welded together with four armchairs in between. Due to the extra weight, I have added an engine and am devising a roof, doors and storage area at the back allowing us to ride in all weather conditions and take it shopping.

Hmm .... why stop at 4 seats...
seven-seat-bike_GgFnj_5965.jpg

Hmm, technically not a bicycle if it doesn't have two wheels. And that engine will make it a prime target for VED to be levied. Nice try, though.

Well, time for a confession .....

I've been using my road bike on my daily commute this week. First time I have been out in earnest in over a year. Long story .........

My ride is 10 miles each way but to ease myself back into it I was getting dropped off at work by SWMBO in her car with my bike and then riding home. Doing the 10 miles in 40 minutes on a hilly route so I am well impressed. Suffering but that's expected.

What I have experienced is that if you ride your bike at a reasonable pace, look often UNDER your shoulder and anticipate the cars if you have to move then life is easy. Motorists appreciate a cyclist that can read ahead and blend into the journey. A thumbs up goes down well and is often met with a smile or a thumbs up in reply form the driver. There is the odd muppet that is STILL pre-occupied with their phone to notice you ...... Grrrr .....

I've seen some right ******g idiots on bikes though. A guy came skelping through a red light and nearly took ME out. Boy, did he get a blasting from me.

I've seen another lad hit a pedestrian because he decided to ride his MTB on the pavement.

I'll be doing 100 miles a week on my commute. No doubt there will be fun and games in the months ahead but I will be fitter for it.

BTW - I'm 45 ;)

Sorry Spike - it has been done before . :doh:

This is the four foot-pound power version
flintstones.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom