Dash light (W210)

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Stuart K, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Stuart K

Stuart K Active Member

Car:
    E220 CDI Estate
    Hi

I've got a W210 estate Advantgarde E220 CDI, 2002. I noticed last night that one of the back lights on the dash board has gone and that shall annoy me!!

It is in the centre consol where you have : temp adjust for passanger, dial for air flow, dial for air direction (screen, vents, foot well etc) and the nhe temp adjust for passanger.

The left hand side no longer lights up when I have the lights on. Is this easy to fix? Looks like a lot of dash to take out to get too?? Advice to some one who isn't too good at this sort of thing.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. Joe_SP

Joe_SP Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2013 E250 & 1999 M3
    I'm sure someone will be along shortky who knows the answer, but I have exactly the same problem with my W202 except that if I turn the fan up full and return it back to it's original position the light comes on!

3. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Okey dokey
    Remove the air distribution knob (not the temperature one)This just pulls off - You may need a pair of pliers (with a cloth on the jaws to prevent marking it)

you will see the bulb underneath, but they are a sod to get out - you should be able to get it out with a piece of rubber tube or a straw. DONT use long nosed pliers or you WILL break the bulb.
    You can get new bulbs from Mercedes or Halfords - fitting is the reverse of removing. Don't be tempted to use your fingers to put them in as if you're anything like me, you will drop the bulb.

4. OP
    OP
    Stuart K

Stuart K Active Member

Car:
    E220 CDI Estate
    Oh cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go this weekend and report back.

I had visions of having to un screw parks of the dash board...

Re Joe's comment. Mine did that (came on when I turned the dial up) but now doesn't work at all..so I'm hoping (and am fairly sure) its the bulb. Maybe your is on its way out too..

5. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    you can usually prove it's the bulb by 'flicking' the knob. The light will come on for a while.

6. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    Thanks guys, have the same problem in the W208, tried `tapping` the knob but nothing, will be taking it apart this wekend then!!!!

Tags: