• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Debadging disaster

omega1

Car
E400d 2019 4matic (C238)
Hi all,

So I decided I'd go ahead and debadge the car, I always seem to do it to all my cars and thought I'd go ahead and do it myself. I'd always had it done by professionals but thought "how hard could it be"?

What I didn't realise is that the C238 boot lid is not metal and I seem to have scratched it to buggery. I clearly rubbed it too hard to get the residue glue off.

My question is, how bad is it and can I fix it myself, or will it need a respray or professional attention?

If I can try something myself, what product would I use?

Thanks in advance.

<hangs head in shame>

Attachments

• 20241006_130152.jpg
    20241006_130152.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 55
Hi all,

So I decided I'd go ahead and debadge the car, I always seem to do it to all my cars and thought I'd go ahead and do it myself. I'd always had it done by professionals but thought "how hard could it be"?

What I didn't realise is that the C238 boot lid is not metal and I seem to have scratched it to buggery. I clearly rubbed it too hard to get the residue glue off.

My question is, how bad is it and can I fix it myself, or will it need a respray or professional attention?

Thanks in advance.

<hangs head in shame>
I think there's too much work to do by hand.
A local independent would have that machine polished out in 5-10 minutes.
I can't see it costing much.
Petrol on a cloth, would have prevented this type of **** up!
No need to ever scrape on top of paint!

I think there's too much work to do by hand.
A local independent would have that machine polished out in 5-10 minutes.
I can't see it costing much.
Petrol on a cloth, would have prevented this type of **** up!
No need to ever scrape on top of paint!
A bit of work with a DA and decent pad and compound should sort that.

Thanks all, I'll do what I should have done and take it to a professional!

Out of interest, what material IS the bootlid made out of?

I don't think it matters what the bootlid is made of - it's the top layer of paint that's been scratched :dk:

Too late now but if you warm any adhesive residue with a hairdryer it can be peeled off with strong sticky tape ... no solvents or rubbing needed.

Hope you get it sorted - looks to me like it should be quite straightforward for any pro.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

<hangs head in shame>
🤣🤣🤣🤣

?

Re the paint - Google the likes of 'chips-away' - check out their reviews.
Though I'm no expert I've seen many YouTube videos re paint repairs and as others stated, it should be
easy to get a 10/10 finish via one of those mobile outfits
They will ask for pics etc and often give you a quote via your pics.
Good luck,

That's right, laugh at someone else's misfortune.:fail:
That's fine, I knew posting this would probably attract some scoffing, I'm happy to hold my hand up when I've screwed up.

Hope you get it sorted - looks to me like it should be quite straightforward for any pro.
Thanks!

Good luck,
Thanks!

So I went to a professional (unlike me!) and they can fix it for £60, so that's how much it'll cost me for having a go myself and messing it up.

Considering I thought I'd done some serious damage, I'm happy with that and won't try it again!

That's fine, I knew posting this would probably attract some scoffing, I'm happy to hold my hand up when I've screwed up.

Thanks!

Thanks!

So I went to a professional (unlike me!) and they can fix it for £60, so that's how much it'll cost me for having a go myself and messing it up.

Considering I thought I'd done some serious damage, I'm happy with that and won't try it again!
Sounds like a result to me.
As The Present Mrs S likes to remind me (frequently)...
" A man's gotta know his limitations" !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom