Diamond cut and clear lacquer vs. clear powder coat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can paint the areas you would like to look like diamond cut and powder coat clear from the distance you won't see the difference. Many paintshops can match the colour and make it look like it's a diamond cut.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of diamond cut wheels purely for the reason that the finish doesn't last. I had a set of wheels refurbished on a little VW Lupo many years ago. I wanted a polished lip and a black centre so booked them in to be done. Had a conversation with the chap there who said that lacquer just doesn't like to stick to bare metal, it'll flake and end up looking rubbish. So instead they powder coated the wheel, then polished the lip leaving it bare metal.

Given the choice, I'd go for powder coating any day of the week even if it meant having a single colour. It's a tougher, harder wearing finish the only downside is that if you scuff the wheel it can't have a spot repair but will need a complete refurb again.

Ok.
So in the end I went for powder coat all over.
Grey shades we’re looking a little too close to body colour and didn’t look right. Didn’t want silver...
So gloss black it is.
1852BF13-AF85-4552-834F-07E2FACAC777
F4F32DC1-1A73-4D28-8D00-35049329E6FA
C6C4FEE1-0D57-463F-A63C-07AD7A206F6C

Ok.
So in the end I went for powder coat all over.
Grey shades we’re looking a little too close to body colour and didn’t look right. Didn’t want silver...
So gloss black it is.

The difference between the Diamond Cut and Powder Coat is quite dramatic! :rock:

The only slight change I would make is the Valve Caps, the Originals spoil the look, (in my humble opinion)

I've been deciding for months which way to go with mine, they are diamond cut atm but they are shocking. They are genuine Mercedes wheels but the lacquer has lifted, there is no way I'm going to go back to diamond cut as I don't want to be doing them again in a couple of years but couldn't decide whether to get them sprayed or powder coated.. if they do a chrome looking powder coat that may be the way to go.

The difference between the Diamond Cut and Powder Coat is quite dramatic! :rock:

The only slight change I would make is the Valve Caps, the Originals spoil the look, (in my humble opinion)
Think you may be right.

Only problem is that the front grill now catches my eye as standing out a bit chrome. Don’t want to start messing with too much though.

How do you find the Merc dealers replacing these, had the same on my previous BMW but they replaced all 4 very readily.

Diamond cut need extra care cleaning, pressure wash weekly is the key, salt will wreck them in weeks if left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be 100% sure, I no longer take it to the local hand wash where they spray some kind of wheel cleaner on it and I think that's what killed the lacquer, and I only use water to wash the wheels.

knowing my recent luck (wing mirror clipped by a hit and run driver) i'll probably kerb them soon:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom