Diesel additive / Injector cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k8legal

Car
e320 cdi estate
As I have posted recently about cleaning the EGR I was just wondering about anyones knowledge or experience of an additive called BG44?

Does it help clean all the crap our or is it just bolleaux?

I had doen a bit of surfing and came up with this interesting article

Homebrew Sea Foam (SeaFoam) Motor Treatment Recipe

He based it on an additive widely used in the states.

Purely a personal opinion- I wouldn't touch the stuff with a bargepole.

EGR cleaning, decent fuel source & maybe some redex will do me fine. I realise many don't think redex works but I've had good results with it for many years.

RH

Just as a side note, MB's official position is that oil or fuel additives should NOT be used - other than in cases where such additive has been incorporated into the product by the oil or fuel manufacturer (e.g. premium fuels that have extra detergents and anti-friction agents).

Having said that, I have used in the past Redex for many years (though not on MB cars) and had no problems. But I have not not used any additive on the MB.

Hope this helps.

Just as a side note, MB's official position is that oil or fuel additives should NOT be used - other than in cases where such additive has been incorporated into the product by the oil or fuel manufacturer (e.g. premium fuels that have extra detergents and anti-friction agents).

Having said that, I have used in the past Redex for many years (though not on MB cars) and had no problems. But I have not not used any additive on the MB.

Hope this helps.

So why do so many MB stealers stock and use Forte products then?

I have used Millers Diesel Power Ecomax in MB and other vehicles for some years.
It goes without saying that I woud recommend it.
I have an account with Millers and can offer 5 litre cans to forum members at a very attractive price.
PM me if interested in the details.

I have used Millers Diesel Power Ecomax in MB and other vehicles for some years.
I have an account with Millers and can offer 5 litre cans to forum members at a very attractive price.

I might have to take you up on that! - I use it on both our household cars - my C220CDi and my wifes VW 1.9TDi - so get through a fair few of the 500ml bottles.

I use it in both our current vehicles - it has raised (according to my detailled records) my average MPG in the C220 from 47 to 50mpg and it makes it quieter and smoother in running - most noticeable if you forget to put it in and wonder why the engine sounds rough even when hot.
On the VW it doesn't seem to make the economy any better - although I dont' keep records for it as i claim my fuel in my car and obviously I don't drive it every day either. it makes a marked difference on the engine noise and smoothness though - very noticeable on what is now quite an old design "PD" type diesel motor.

I used to use redex (cheap lot from Costco) and then some 10K spray that was blasted straight into the intake (after the MAF). Both did sweet FA, best Mod I did was buying a new MAF after 100000miles!

Thanks Johnsco

I cant pm yet but i will do when Ive got enough posts

Diesel Additives/Injector Cleaners

There are lots of fuel system cleaners on the market - some more effective than others. With the later engines running high pump pressures an additive with high lubricity is vital to avoid damage to the injection pump. It is safer for manufacturers like Mercedes to say they do not approve additive useage than risk being associated with pump failures through the use of substandard products.
Injector cleaners produced by Protec for example have been tested and approved safe by TUV in Germany - which why they are used extensively by the Trade

injection additive cleaners

i might have to take you up on that! - i use it on both our household cars - my c220cdi and my wifes vw 1.9tdi - so get through a fair few of the 500ml bottles.

I use it in both our current vehicles - it has raised (according to my detailled records) my average mpg in the c220 from 47 to 50mpg and it makes it quieter and smoother in running - most noticeable if you forget to put it in and wonder why the engine sounds rough even when hot.
On the vw it doesn't seem to make the economy any better - although i dont' keep records for it as i claim my fuel in my car and obviously i don't drive it every day either. It makes a marked difference on the engine noise and smoothness though - very noticeable on what is now quite an old design "pd" type diesel motor.

hi i have a diesiel c220 cdi with 70k mileage, its seems to run sluggish occasionaly, i have had a oil and filter svs at mercedes and i was wondering if a addative will help clear the injectors, if they are blocked? Before i take it back to mercedes for a diagnostic check?, can anyone advise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom