Diesel's to be de-valued and banned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Boris's new watercannons run on diesel?

I reckon PSV, and LGV, HGV vehicles will be exempt and Joe puplic will be forced to pay more road fund tax.

The French will argue, strike, jam the roads. It will never happen.

Probably happen over here as we will all roll over like good citizens.

Also what about all the motor industry jobs that produce diesels engines and associated parts? And the Vehicle aftermarket parts business, surly this will effect employment in these areas too?

I reckon PSV, and LGV, HGV vehicles will be exempt and Joe puplic will be forced to pay more road fund tax.

Any normal car barely pays £175 - and easy to find cars much less.

HGV tax band std rate/reduce pollution rate
A £165/£160 HGV weighing less than 7.5 tonnes
B £200/£160 HGV weighing less than 15 tonnes
C
£450/£210 Three and four axle vehicles weighing less than 21 tonnes
D £650/£280 Four axle vehicles weighing less than 27 tonnes
E £1,200/£700 Semi-trailer with two or more axles weighing less than 34 tonnes
F £1,500/£1,000 Semi-trailer with two or more axles weighing less than 38 tonnes
G
£1,850/£1,350 Semi-trailer with three or more axles weighing less than 44 tonnes

Works for me!

Dirty, smelly things belching black smoke, and that's just the cars!!

From an environmental perspective, governments got it wrong, many years ago, when they focused solely on CO2. They chose to ignore the obvious issues of nitrogen oxides and particulates. With petrol engined cars producing much less of this stuff and, as they are much better on CO2 than they used to be, you can see why the tide has turned and I don't think it is just posturing from the French government.

Just my humble opinion of course :)

Raising tax on diesels is because the tax take has gone down as people have switched to buying them, wholesale.
If the balance was the other way round, the tax on petrol cars would be higher.

Simple answer is to lower petrol prices then we wouldn't buy diesel cars

Surely this is no different to what's happened in Germany with the Umweltplakette. I was very tempted by some V10 TDI Phaetons that have now plummeted in value because they're no longer allowed into certain city centres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom