Disabling ignition system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dredd32 said:
Standard pulley Neil. No more performance mods for me:(

I was gonna say!!! With a charger pulley and crank pulley mod you'd need a load of cooling mods too! Hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you!!!

I have used this method often on smaller engines (under 2000cc) but as mentioned it is probably better to use the correct tools on these Merc engines.

Using an impact wrench then the radiator etc has to be removed.

But if you want to continue with this method then disconnect the fuel pump relay and run the engine until fuel is out and then disconnect the CPS.

Last edited:
Have you thought about how you will refit and torque correctly? Does your C32 have automatic start?

Sorry Paul,not sure what you mean by automatic start??

I have a torque wrench. Set it to 140ftlbs plus quarter turn..

To be honest I'm having trouble getting hold of the CS holder and I don't see the point buying one when I'll probably only use it once..so it may well end up at my indie

Last edited:
When you start the car or attempt to start the car it will continue to crank even when you release the key to return to ignition point 2 so make sure you switch off completely as soon as it cranks.

90 deg after you have torqued takes a lot of force. You will also need an very strong breaker bar and likely a strong metal tube to slip over for additional leverage. We use a scaffold tube that's around 1.1m in length.

Last edited:
When you start the car or attempt to start the car it will continue to crank even when you release the key to return to ignition point 2 so make sure you switch off completely as soon as it cranks.

90 deg after you have torqued takes a lot of force. You will also need an very strong breaker bar and likely a strong metal tube to slip over for additional leverage. We use a scaffold tube that's around 1.1m in length.

I understand now..But as I said it looks like its a trip to the indie..They'll probably only charge an hours labour so it'll be cheaper than buying the tool itself though I do have the scaffold tube:D

Out of interest,where do you brace the bar and scaffold tube??

You can buy a knock down bar for this job, alternatively lock the engine at the flywheel, fit an impact socket and breaker bar onto the socket, then use a long bar from above to knock the breaker bar down about 6" from the socket.

post-77749-1289557088.jpg

I don't think your plan is likely to work, but if you wanted to spin the starter without the engine running couldn't you feed +12v directly to the starter trigger in the front SAM? (Obviously with ignition off/keys out)

So I took delivery of theCS pulley and took it to the garage. It didn't fit,I accidently ordered one for the slk 32. The ribbed part where the belt sits was 24mm and mine is 30mm:doh: I phoned them back and explained what happened..I gave them all the details and they said they don't have one. I told them that when I checked on their site it showed that they had one..They then told me that once they cross referenced it with mercedes that it didn't match..

I then phoned my indie and they think they're found one but won't know for sure if it's correct until it's delivered...I also called mercedes and they want£330:eek:A whopping £265 more than the one I had delivered..

Fingers crossed the one I get tomorrow fits

Well it didn't fit:doh:

So after chatting to a couple respected forum members who both told me that these CS pulleys are rarer than hens teeth,I went to mercedes.I picked up the part 24hrs later and got my indie to fit it today..

This original thread was on how to disable the ignition. Well..

I asked the mechanic how he removed the pulley.He said he got under the car and braced the flywheel then used a socket and extension bar on the pulley bolt. I didn't ask how he braced it..I was just excited to get my car back.

Replaced the CS bolt but not the belt as wasn't damaged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom