Disappointed with COMAND sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
Moving from a Navigon (Garmin) iPhone system to a large screen I thought would confer advantages, but so far, I found it very involving to follow, and still get wrong footed.

Minor gripe is launching navi on W205, it doesn't kick off with the destination entry screen - it goes straight into a map view, and then you have to back out and find the destination entry screen.

My prime gripes

a. The screen isn't used to best effect and most multi-lane roads e.g. 4 lanes are only shown as one thin line. It's difficult to ascertain which lane you should be in. There is a small lane indicator in the bottom footer, but it is tiny, and orphaned off from the main maps. (on the iPhone multi-lane situations are shown on the main map so it is crystal clear)

b. It does go into split screen mode as you come into about 800 yards of a turn showing junction detail, but is a little too late, and there are no street names/labels - it just shows lines making it harder to ascertain location.

c. There is no 'next instruction' on permanent display - turn direction/type of junction/distance to, (given the size of the screen) and the majority of the time it just displays a zoomed out map until you reach about 800 yards of the turn.

d. Often the vocal turn instructions don't say out loud the street name, so following audio only instructions is difficult, meaning more glances at the display

The combination above means that I find it hard to prepare, and only find out 800 yards before the turn on what to do, figure out which lane I need and what street name, by which time some lanes can have a solid white line, or crowded by traffic. Driving in London was particularly fatiguing.

On a very large roundabout where I need the 3 o'clock exit, it tells me prepare to turn left, then to turn half left (the car moving from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the roundabout, which is a given with no need to mention). I just need to know that I need the exit point.

Maybe I will acclimatise to it and there is a level of bedding in for COMAND sat nav? Otherwise I'm using my iPhone again :D

I have to agree with you, it is certainly the weakest feature in owning a Mercedes. I don't even have full post code entry sadly.

Once used to it though it does just about do the job. Hopefully at some stage they put some work into Sat Nav or just buy a system from someone who does it well.

uumode said:
Moving from a Navigon (Garmin) iPhone system to a large screen I thought would confer advantages, but so far, I found it very involving to follow, and still get wrong footed. Minor gripe is launching navi on W205, it doesn't kick off with the destination entry screen - it goes straight into a map view, and then you have to back out and find the destination entry screen. My prime gripes a. The screen isn't used to best effect and most multi-lane roads e.g. 4 lanes are only shown as one thin line. It's difficult to ascertain which lane you should be in. There is a small lane indicator in the bottom footer, but it is tiny, and orphaned off from the main maps. (on the iPhone multi-lane situations are shown on the main map so it is crystal clear) b. It does go into split screen mode as you come into about 800 yards of a turn showing junction detail, but is a little too late, and there are no street names/labels - it just shows lines making it harder to ascertain location. c. There is no 'next instruction' on permanent display - turn direction/type of junction/distance to, (given the size of the screen) and the majority of the time it just displays a zoomed out map until you reach about 800 yards of the turn. d. Often the vocal turn instructions don't say out loud the street name, so following audio only instructions is difficult, meaning more glances at the display The combination above means that I find it hard to prepare, and only find out 800 yards before the turn on what to do, figure out which lane I need and what street name, by which time some lanes can have a solid white line, or crowded by traffic. Driving in London was particularly fatiguing. On a very large roundabout where I need the 3 o'clock exit, it tells me prepare to turn left, then to turn half left (the car moving from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the roundabout, which is a given with no need to mention). I just need to know that I need the exit point. Maybe I will acclimatise to it and there is a level of bedding in for COMAND sat nav? Otherwise I'm using my iPhone again :D

While I agree with most of the points you have stated, I may be able to suggest two things to help you.

The first is that I only ever enter a destination address by using the Linguatronic function, via the steering wheel 'speech' button, by using "enter destination" or "enter postcode", you can also use "enter poi". It works quite well, though you do get the odd hiccup, but 95% of the time it's good.
I use the Linguatronic function far more than I ever did in my W204, even after using the system daily since May I'm still finding functions I can control from it and it saves me from being visually distracted from the road, looking for buttons, etc, because it's all voice controlled.

You do get the odd problem with "dial name" because of saying the persons name out loud may be not how the system would expect to read it, but usually a few suggested names are offered.

Having recently suffered a heavy cold, the Linguatronic system in my car is hearing a different voice and is re-learning my instructions, which has shown me that it does begin to work better the more it hears your voice.

The second tip I can suggest is that to get the next turn instruction,plus the distance to it, is to also switch the display within the dash screen to Nav, as well as Nav on the main display.

While this is just a crude directional arrow or roundabout display, it works very well in situations such driving along a busy main road and you're expecting to take one of the many side road turnings from it.

It reduces the problem of you having to drive hesitantly along the main road looking for your correct side road turning.

I hope these help, if you haven't already tried them, but I do agree that the users interface and the systems layout aren't perfect.

I'm having similar problems with the e class

See my post.

I'm hoping for a new update soon and that will sort a lot of problems out...! Hoping.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with most of the points you have stated, I may be able to suggest two things to help you.

The first is that I only ever enter a destination address by using the Linguatronic function, via the steering wheel 'speech' button, by using "enter destination" or "enter postcode", you can also use "enter poi". It works quite well, though you do get the odd hiccup, but 95% of the time it's good.
I use the Linguatronic function far more than I ever did in my W204, even after using the system daily since May I'm still finding functions I can control from it and it saves me from being visually distracted from the road, looking for buttons, etc, because it's all voice controlled.

You do get the odd problem with "dial name" because of saying the persons name out loud may be not how the system would expect to read it, but usually a few suggested names are offered.

Having recently suffered a heavy cold, the Linguatronic system in my car is hearing a different voice and is re-learning my instructions, which has shown me that it does begin to work better the more it hears your voice.

The second tip I can suggest is that to get the next turn instruction,plus the distance to it, is to also switch the display within the dash screen to Nav, as well as Nav on the main display.

While this is just a crude directional arrow or roundabout display, it works very well in situations such driving along a busy main road and you're expecting to take one of the many side road turnings from it.

It reduces the problem of you having to drive hesitantly along the main road looking for your correct side road turning.

I hope these help, if you haven't already tried them, but I do agree that the users interface and the systems layout aren't perfect.

Thanks, I'll give those tips a try to see if it reduces my cognitive load.

Driving around in the busy streets of London, I spend enough attention trying to avoid running over pedestrians who don't look/care when they cross the road, to crazy push bikes that zip in and out, drivers who randomly change lane without indicating, keeping at the correct speed limit which can alternate frequently between 20/30/40mph :crazy:

Think those two tips work well.

The Linguatronic increases input speed substantially.

The navigation instructions in the instrument panel provide the much needed 'next instruction' and really amplifies the fact that without it, you really are almost looking at a digital moving version of a paper map on the central dash 'ipad' most of the time.

@Chady the latest version of the COMAND sat nav on the W205 has full postcode input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom