• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

DIY ceramic coating

Gollom

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Sue is picking up a 2010 Kia Picanto next week. CLK has gone to a new home where it will get used more 😢. As she seems to have an aversion to washing cars and it is shiny black, thought it may be a good idea to give it some kind of ceramic coating. Any recommendations for a suitable DIY spray produst? Yes, I know professional would be better, but much more expensive. Simply want something where rain would help keep it a bit cleaner! (what looks like a dent is flaw in the showroom pic)

kia-picanto-hatchback-petrol-76477a55ca3e.jpg

Last edited:
How about something like this?
3_1.png

If the bodywork is in good condition I would recommend to try and focus on a good washing technique to minimise swirls and scratches on the paint too :)

I think those spray coatings are okay for what they are but will only last a matter of weeks or maybe a few months, so would probably re-apply after washing depending on how often that is.

If you have a few minutes spare check out this guy on YouTube, does some good product reviews:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In agreement with Will on the spray on type: I used Auto Glym Ceramic spray last October on our C Class. The beading lasted quite a long time, but it got it's first wash in 6 months(!) yesterday. Admittedly only about 1,000 miles driven in that time and mostly sat on the drive (we use our 'shopping car' more :rolleyes:) and at least it took little effort to clean and an almost touchless wash, but zero beading. I gave it another coat of the spray after drying it off and will no doubt do that each time it gets washed now (probably once a month in the better weather).

I came across this 'Ultima Ceramic wax with added Sio2' when searching for some more iron remover for our shopping car (big clean to get it ready to sell). I might try this on the C Class at some point to see if it's any more durable than the spray.

ULTIMA Ceramic Wax With Added Sio2

Our C Class is Diamond silver, so doesn't tend to show surface marks/swirls as much as black does, though I'm replacing our 'shopping car' with a bright red car, so might give that a go with this wax too. Certainly can't justify paying a Pro to ceramic coat it since it's 8 years old and only £6k worth.

Applied ceramic coating on our school run as it gets washed less often. It's okay product and a bit expensive for a teeny weeny bottle. I prefer waxes though. The only advantage of ceramic coating is i find it needs less washing and when it rains it seems to sort of self clean. The panels should be paint corrected before application and coating should last about 2 years 🙂

20210307_151811.jpg20210307_151907.jpg
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't know much about ceramic coatings but they don't really appeal to me. I'm retired now and cleaning and waxing the car has always been a form of relaxation rather than a chore and I'd have to find other things to do in the time I'd save if I used a ceramic coating.😁

I don't know much about ceramic coatings but they don't really appeal to me. I'm retired now and cleaning and waxing the car has always been a form of relaxation rather than a chore and I'd have to find other things to do in the time I'd save if I used a ceramic coating.😁
I'm retired too (albeit 10 years early) and I barely have the time to wash our cars let alone wax them. :D I like to do a blitz on any 'new' car to me, then just keep on top of it. I might have to take the wheels off the C Class to deep clean them again, but the rest has pretty much come back up to A1 again after a couple of hours yesterday. That's why the ceramic wax I found is of interest to me.

Sue is picking up a 2010 Kia Picanto next week. CLK has gone to a new home where it will get used more 😢. As she seems to have an aversion to washing cars and it is shiny black, thought it may be a good idea to give it some kind of ceramic coating. Any recommendations for a suitable DIY spray produst? Yes, I know professional would be better, but much more expensive. Simply want something where rain would help keep it a bit cleaner! (what looks like a dent is flaw in the showroom pic)

View attachment 139552
Gyeon CANCOAT Evo is a pro quality ceramic coating which can now be used at home without controlled conditions, and without a garage. Don’t buy the Pro version by accident though.

If that’s too much like hard work then Gyeon WetCoat is as close to miraculous as you’ll find. Spray on as you rinse and it will protect the car for an easy 6 months, despite the bottle suggesting otherwise.

Thanks for that @Bobby Dazzler though a bit pricey for my tight pockets, if it lasts a good while I guess it's cost effective in the long run.

I found it on Clean your car for £37 200mL for the Can coat:

GYEON - Q² CanCoat EVO (200ml)

Or from £13.50 for 500mL of the Wet coat:

GYEON - Q²M WetCoat

Probably delivery charges on top of those prices, maybe other places have deals/are cheaper, just one supplier I've used before myself. Hopefully of use if anyone fancies trying your suggestions Bobby. 👍

Thanks for that @Bobby Dazzler though a bit pricey for my tight pockets, if it lasts a good while I guess it's cost effective in the long run.

I found it on Clean your car for £37 200mL for the Can coat:

GYEON - Q² CanCoat EVO (200ml)

Or from £13.50 for 500mL of the Wet coat:

GYEON - Q²M WetCoat

Probably delivery charges on top of those prices, maybe other places have deals/are cheaper, just one supplier I've used before myself. Hopefully of use if anyone fancies trying your suggestions Bobby. 👍
Elbow grease , does a good job for free.

Elbow grease , does a good job for free.
???
Not much point rubbing away on the paintwork with nothing but a cloth. :D Need something to apply to the paintwork and if the price is £37 for a long lasting result I'm fine with that. If you want to spend your retirement waxing a car then that's up to you, but I don't.

For maximum convenience and minimum cost then try WetCoat. It’s incredible stuff. Two squirts per panel before final rinse is all that’s required. If you use a DI Vessel for the final rinse then you don’t even need to dry the car.

???
Not much point rubbing away on the paintwork with nothing but a cloth. :D Need something to apply to the paintwork and if the price is £37 for a long lasting result I'm fine with that. If you want to spend your retirement waxing a car then that's up to you, but I don't.
Usual mix is Zymol cleaner wax followed by Collinite 845. Easy on ,easy off.

Usual mix is Zymol cleaner wax followed by Collinite 845. Easy on ,easy off.
Yes I get that you like to use wax, but this is a thread about Ceramic coatings and in my experience 845 didn't last as long as I want it to (still have a tin of it). Not sure why you keep posting about wax on this thread though?

I and I the OP would prefer something that lasts longer so we're not having to do it so often. I certainly have better things to do with my time than wax a car; I probably already spend far longer 'cleaning a car' than most typical people would think is normal. :D

Anyway thanks to @Bobby Dazzler I think I'll get myself a bottle of the Can coat to try on the C Class and eventually the Alfa.

I like gyeon cancoat as a spray ceramic. Recently I've been using Siramik Lustrous plus spray which is very good and lasts about a year on prepped paint.

Just be aware that theres no point using any of the products on unpolished paint and certainly not a ceramic as it won't bond. Siramik Lustrous plus is very good in that regard as it lasts about 6 months on unprepped paint

The other great ceramic is pyramid car care premium coating. It's dead easy to apply and lasts about 2 years

Depends how much leg work you want to put in. A ceramic coating would ideally require a fair bit of prep, decontamination and paint correction ideally. If you're good with that then there's some good kits for home use.

As someone mentioned, Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic is a super easy product to use, once a first coat is applied, you literally spray on and rinse off. The other is Turtlewax Spray n Shine which is a spray on sealant, you can spray it onto a washed car before it's dried. Then dry it with a normal drying towel to apply. At under £10 a bottle, it'd last you 6 months depending on how often you apply it.

I tried the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray as above on my daughter's car and I have to say I was very impressed for the money vs the 'proper' prep and ceramic coat I did on my CLS. If you do try it (or indeed any others) watch some videos to get tips as I did learn some useful tricks for the Meguiars. Also they bond best and get better longevity if you can prep the surface first, but as its so easy to reapply its no big issue either way.

I'm retired too (albeit 10 years early) and I barely have the time to wash our cars let alone wax them. :D I like to do a blitz on any 'new' car to me, then just keep on top of it. I might have to take the wheels off the C Class to deep clean them again, but the rest has pretty much come back up to A1 again after a couple of hours yesterday. That's why the ceramic wax I found is of interest to me.
I'm retired too, albeit about 20 years early!
While I get a sense of satisfaction from doing a thorough clean, I'm all for anything that helps keep the shine and makes subsequent cleans easier.

It's not witchcraft!......the car will still get just as dirty, scratch just as easily and you will be lucky to notice it being any easier to clean/wash than a well polished and waxed car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom