• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

DIY - Removing Plasterboard fixings?

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
As I have made a habit of the last few years, I am moving AGAIN!

The house I am oving out of is very new and so all the walls are plasterboard. That being so, anything with any sort of weight to it has been mounted using plasterboard fixings.

The problem is now, I must comply with the clause in the contracts along the lings of "walls must be made good after removal of fixtures and fittings".

When fitting things to my walls of any weight, I found the fixings shown below to be the best:

Interset.jpg

How it works:

msa.jpg

You drill the plasterboard and insert the "anchor" so it's teeth grip the front of the plasterboard. Without your fixing, you screw the screw into the anchor. It spreads it's metal anchors behind the cavity. You then unscrew, and screw back in with whatever you are mounting in between.

GREAT fixings.

But how do I get these pesky things out to fill the holes now I don't want them?? The screw comes out, but of course the anchor is mounted firm.

I can fill a small hole, but have visions of having to hire a handyman to cut these blighters out, with a hole large enough to remove the exanded anchor. Someone tell me there is an easier way.

TIA
Graham

I've used those too. Take out the screw. Give the fitting a good whack with a metal punch and hammer and 'tube of polyfiller' in the small hole / depression. I really can't see the new owners getting terribly upset about these fixings anyway and you may save them some extra work making their own holes. Best not to mention it to anyone involved in the sale but have a word with another estate agent about whether anyone notices in general - I bet they don't. The new owners may well want to redecorate anyway so why bother unless Mr & Mrs Awkward want to buy your property. However, if your walls are peppered with these things I think you have some work to do.
My 2c
Les

One thing I wouldnt do is hammer them. It could easily send a shock wave over the plasterboard and crack/destroy a large area of board. What I would do is partially drill them out using a HSS drill about 10mm diameter to a depth of just below the plasterboard surface. Dont try to drill too hard. Take it slow with just a little pressure. Once below the board surface, stop drilling and using a suitable filler like Polyfilla, fill proud and finish off with a wet filling knife.

Thanks.

I did wonder about just leaving the screw all the way in where there is just the odd one in an ideal position for a mirror or picture, but as much as Ithink it's a good Iidea I don't want to fall foul of the "make good" walls bit of the papers I signed.

Thanks.

I did wonder about just leaving the screw all the way in where there is just the odd one in an ideal position for a mirror or picture, but as much as Ithink it's a good Iidea I don't want to fall foul of the "make good" walls bit of the papers I signed.

Why don't you ask the purchasers if they want the fixings left in place? You may find they do. In which case you have saved yourself the bother.
The people buying your home must realise from viewing that mirrors/pictures and ornaments don't hold themselves up by magic and that there must be wall fixings present. Common sense.
However, if they agree to that proposal, then get your solicitor to obtain this in writing as you don't want them to come back to you after the move with a big bill for getting them removed professionally.

My 2p

I'd stick with the plastic expanding rawplug type fixing - they are stronger than the surrounding plasterboard in any case and can be more easily concealed once the screw is removed.

In this situation many small fixings will distribute the load more effectively than a few big fixings.

The anchor bolts will provide a secure fixing but are a bit overkill inmho. If something is that heavy then it should be attached to more than a bit of 12.5mm wall board.

chapter and verse on plasterboard

Ade

Actually having reread the original post you could cut the fixings out and try this technique.

Last edited:
I think I'll try a metal drill bit on one tomorrow. Hopefully the front piece will drill off and allow a skim of filler to cover it.

Thanks all.

I've used the type of fixing show by television and yes they are good, but cant take the weight of the anchors.

Thanks.

Graham
I am simply amazed! What are they expecting? Are they going to inspect the house on completion and sign that they are satisfied. After the event, how can they prove they (the new owners) didn't make the hole themselves. Is someone really going to worry about a few holes when they've just spent £100's of £1,000's on the property? The hassle of chasing and agreeing a "value" of filling in a few holes! People pick up on major things and moaning about a small hole in the wall - well I ask you! I expect the future lady of the house has already lined up the decorators anyway - let them do all the work! I'd be more interested in the roof/electrics/pumbing/central heating/structural integrity as these as expensive items.

verytalldave
I grant you it is possible to destroy plasterboard with a hammer provided you keep hitting it - yet I have never actually managed to destroy any yet and this includes doing things along the lines I have suggested. I can think of better things to do on a weekend than drill and fill these little holes.

Rgds

Les

The making good of walls after removing any fittings is standard stuff as far as I know, certainly the last 3 moves.

I'm leaving a lot of things up as it's easier, but a few things have to come down.

I agree I'd rather not bother to make good these holes, but I do feel obliged and as I have the right paint it should cover ok. My fear is if I don't, I would be breaking agreed terms and I dont want to be hit with a bill for any professional repairs. I may yet give this work to someone as it could still work out cheaper!

Last edited:
These are buggers to remove. Drill the with care, they usually come loose before to top drills off, so you end up larger hole than you planned:(

You can put the bolt in, tap it gently to straighten out the interior bit and pull it out.

Rock & a hard place....

This is a hot issue in Sweden, if a wall is papered,and you want to make a hole in the wall, then a cross is cut in the paper and the corners are folded back, then the hole is drilled.
When it is time to fill the hole, this is done and the paper corners stuck down again.
The same rules prevail over here now, as Graham says the last thing you want is for some professional cleaners or decorators to be called in

These are buggers to remove. Drill the with care, they usually come loose before to top drills off, so you end up larger hole than you planned:(

Feared that...

You can put the bolt in, tap it gently to straighten out the interior bit and pull it out.

If I can judge when the screw is in the second side, this could work, although I can't imagine it revensing to it's previous state. I take it the first side is not threaded for this to work. Might make this plan A though.

This Works best. Remove shelf/item from wall, screw bolt back into fixing, as it gets tight it will pull the front side into the plasterboard. when it is just below the surface, unscrew bolt and its ready for a bit of filler.
Job done!

With a pair of large side cutters you can bend the flange inwards towards the center and then knock it back in the hole, drill it first and that will thin the metal down and make it easier to bend.

Another way is to cut round the outer edge of the fixing with a sharp stanley knife. Put the screw back in and do it up tight, this will crush the plaster and take the head below the surface

Last edited:
I had this in my old house.
I got round it by buying some cheap shelving units from Ikea and put them up using the same fixings.
If the new owners don't want them there, it's then down to them to sort out the holes;)

This is a hot issue in Sweden, if a wall is papered,and you want to make a hole in the wall, then a cross is cut in the paper and the corners are folded back, then the hole is drilled.
When it is time to fill the hole, this is done and the paper corners stuck down again.
The same rules prevail over here now, as Graham says the last thing you want is for some professional cleaners or decorators to be called in
It always did though unless the wallpaper is embossed with gold (I have worked on some for a gentleman who got shot) then so long as you don't leave dustbin lid sized holes then I shouldn't think anyone will take offence. No wonder the Swedish get hammered from September through to May of all they have to do is cut crosses in wallpaper - I would be tempted to use EvoStik if I ever moved to Sweden just to watch someone try and peel the edges back . I suppose technically if you don't remove the fixing (and leave the setscrew in it) then you haven't got anything to make good -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom