• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

DIY weekend - comments please! To stain or paint...

Paint; Stain or Natural

• Paint

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Stain

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Leave natural

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Excuse the poor quality image, but in one of the bedrooms, I have stained the floorboards, had high skirting installed and the walls painted.

The skirting is natural at the moment.

Question is, do I stain (to match or contrast the floor) or paint/gloss, white??

Last edited:
What is the style of house? What colour have you on the walls? This may determine your decision slightly?

Either stain to try and match the floor; new pine has that "orangey" tinge abouot it which is awful.

Alternatively get a complementary colour for the skirting to go with the wall colour - loads of these available these days.

myself, i would go for option 2

It's 71 years old, lots of wobbly bits and crooked walls, lots of charm (but a pain!). The walls are a light brown (not magnolia!)

Nothing wrong with magnolia eh, Mattc????!!!!

Satin wood finish in an off white or cream would be rather nice. Loads out there to choose from.

Try a small tin of stain first. If it looks poo then paint 'em white.

I'd stain to match the floor and I'd also put matching facings round the door. Get an off cut of the wood and try a stain to see how it comes out.

Ever thought of doing a lime wash?... so the wood grain still comes through?
I'll get a piccy
IMG_2618.jpg

Last edited:
Paint in a lighter colour to the walls.

I hate DIY which is unfortunate as I'm refurbing our flat and too mean to spend money on getting people in.. - am stripping 2000 years of wall paper and oil paint from my kitchen at the moment....

Have fun with the decorating..

Ade

I know, camera phone sorry :o
I don't think the camera is at fault :devil: :devil:

It looks like there are traces of some kinds of paint on the skirting? If there is then you should not put stain on top of paint.

From that picture I cannot get any idea of colours, contrasts etc so I will once again sit on my very lonely fence :o :o

regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom