• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

DIY weekend - comments please! To stain or paint...

Paint; Stain or Natural

• Paint

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Stain

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Leave natural

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
etc so I will once again sit on my very lonely fence :o :o

regards
John

As I am not use to controversy or putting up my own view point, so will i!

But paint it. I have stained ones in this flat courtesy of the previous girly owner.

Its so last year! It also doesn't match the the pre-stained doors.

What you really want is a nice Off White gloss. One that drips!. And make sure its a cheap make too, that way, it will go a lovely 1950's yellow in about a years time and give you nostalga as well as nausea!

In my house, currenlty occupied by a professional couple, I painted the skirts, Black, and the main walls white! Had as whiter carpet as they made too.

Great for seeing the nieces coffee spills, and the red wine stains which went right thru the rug, but you never look until you move. Came as a shock.:D

a good sanding down then a nice stain or varnish wood should never be painted it looks awfull

As a general comment I'd agree but with cheap timber and poor joinery, as skirtings normally are - full of knot holes, splits and open joints - I think paint is preferable to sealed pine with contrasting filler.

If it was beautifully crafted solid oak, I'd agree 100%

Ade

More people are admitted to A&E in DIY related accidents at Easter than any other time ....

Briwax:rock:

I suggest painting because of the filler (which doesn't take stain) and the nails (which will be visible though stain). Plus, as mentioned earlier you'd be extremely lucky to get an exact colour match to the floorboards.

Knotty pine is really designed to be painted, it's the clear stuff that is meant to be shown off through wax/varnish/oil etc.

Best of luck, I'm on a self-build and this weekend I'm doing a bit of decorating, so I have some empathy with your current situation. :)

Oh, and get that architrave sanded down...! ;)

Looks like paint is winning.... Just gotta pick the colour now. I'll join the queue now I think for B&Q, it'll open in 12 hours.

Today I was mainly hanging Warmaline (don't ask)

Lazy way out.. ;)
I would suggest sensible way out! Dollops of filler, cheap wood with poor joinery then your on to a looser that will look 'different' :D

Go for what you like and blow everyone else.

John

I would suggest sensible way out! Dollops of filler, cheap wood with poor joinery then your on to a looser that will look 'different' :D

Go for what you like and blow everyone else.

John
ahh ya heathen ;) :D ..no no no... it an important upgrade... no filler marks.. treat yer wood proper..! (soundbite)...
paints sucks... why hide good wood with paint unless its cheap c**p...

If your house is older than 30 years treat the wood with some good oil.

Would you coat an old merc with a bit of spray can, to give it an new sheen...? so why should your house; you spend 30-40% of your life in, be any different.

SEM (the shopfitter)

One word.... Contrast !

Since you have a wood floor, Painting the skirts will give a good definition between the floor and the wall color.
It will show off the floor better!

If you want an aged or classic look, use satin rather than gloss paint.
:)

Back on topic! :crazy:

Walls are light, floor is a medium dark. You can't really do the skirting in the same colour as the floor, it will make it look like a box :crazy:.

As someone else said, contrast is what you're after and I would suggest a deep dark wood colour for the skirting, significantly darker than the floor, would do the trick. This has the added benefit that you won't notice the shadow of crevices etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom