DIY Window tinting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supacool1

Car
C250TD-T
Hey Hey Hey,
Has anyone attempted to do the above who is not a pro? I am thinking of attempting this as I am being cheap.:bannana:

I've found loads of vids on the interweb and they make it look soo easy! I would want to tint the rear doors, 3 quarters and tailgate of the wagon. It is not to look chavy or pimp like-We've just had our new born daughter and I want to protect her from the sun if we are out and about.

Opinions please!

Supa

It's probably not that hard if you can get the glass out but, personally, I wouldn't fancy my chances of making a neat job around the rubber surrounds - and while clambering about in the boot

I did my rear side glass on my SEC, its not that hard if you get the glass out. I can imagine it being a pain if it was still in the car. Most places will probably do it for under £200

Just a thought, but the guy who tinted mine suggested that the DIY tints (Halfords kits etc) are pants. The tint material apparently is prone to peeling and bubbling.

Of course he doing it for a living so he not likely to advocate DIY work as such.

Must say though the job he did on mine is outstanding (tinted back screen, back windows)

No no no, dont do it!

I did exactly the same thing on my W220, thought how hard can it be?

Bought it from Ebay and all the parts came precut. Cut a long story short it looked absolutely **** and I took it off....

Absolutely the right thing to do if your 19 and drive a Saxo..... Nuff said!

i just paid the money to a profesional who guaranteed his work,if you buy it from ebay its prob cheap film,and who can you complain to when it doesn't go to plan i only paid £100 and it came out really well :thumb:

pay and get it done, it`s not easy to get it dust free\smear free.

I got quoted over 220 to have the work done on the wagon. I will take on board your comments. I know I am being a bit tight but cash is a little tight as still on paternity leave.

Apologies for the hijack but if anybody out there has a piece of tinting film roughly 6" x 2" that they could pop in the post to me i would be eternally grateful. It's for my radio alarm clock which for some reason even on the lowest setting lights up my bedroom like a lighthouse!

I got quoted over 220 to have the work done on the wagon. I will take on board your comments. I know I am being a bit tight but cash is a little tight as still on paternity leave.

I paid £250 from pentagon for the whole car! im sure you can get it done for about £150 ish from a smaller company.

You should be able to get it done cheaper. Seen adverts for a place in Slough that quoted cheap prices (although I don't know how good they are).

I'd also suggest you look at the blinds as posted above, they are great and a lot cheaper than tints. I've got a set on my BMW whilst we had the windows tinted on our W203.

i only went DIY as I had a bad run with a 'professional' tinter. His website was very flash but unfortunatly he couldnt tint by back windscreen even with it out of the car without leaving a load of dust under the film. It was only noticable once the window was back in the car. He then went on to try and do the rear side windows for free to make up for his mistake but he couldnt get the film on properly because of the SEC's window shape and seal arrangement, he gave up having pulled out one of my seals and trimmed one of them for some reason.

I ended up doing myself as i knew how to remove the window and a roll of film was only £20, came out pretty good save for a few specs of dust near the edges.

If your going to DIY it then definitly take the glass out, otherwise just get a pro to do it.

Hey Hey Hey,
Has anyone attempted to do the above who is not a pro? I am thinking of attempting this as I am being cheap.:bannana:

I've found loads of vids on the interweb and they make it look soo easy! I would want to tint the rear doors, 3 quarters and tailgate of the wagon. It is not to look chavy or pimp like-We've just had our new born daughter and I want to protect her from the sun if we are out and about.

Opinions please!

Supa

Hi,

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, our first child, didn't want to fit blinds...

I bought a roll of Light Smoke for our S Class rear windows and fitted it over the weekend, some observations:

• Don't attempt the job in strong sunlight or if it's too windy
  • Clean the glass thoroughly, use a Stanley knife blade to get off any little bits and pieces, clean the outside of the glass too
  • Use the outside of the window as a template
  • Use lots of soapy water from a spray bottle
  • Peel the transparent film off the tinting film from the top, using the sticky tape method to separate the two films
  • Use a Tesco clubcard with a soft cloth to 'squeege' the bubbles out from the centre out
  • Again, use plenty of soapy water; you can always peel the film back, wet it and 'squeege' the bubbles out again until you're satisfied
Have a go, I found it easier after I'd done the first side :thumb:

I paid £250 from pentagon for the whole car! im sure you can get it done for about £150 ish from a smaller company.

bet it looks weird on the roof, bonnet and doors etc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom