Do I let them get away with it? Should I make a complaint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your car has gone through real world testing in an attempt to get to the bottom of your issues, its normal procedure! Dont bite the hand that feeds you speaking metaphorically

Reason your camera was disconnected is that its illegal to record on private property, i/we all at work have been instructed to disconnect all recording devices before a car is moved at the dealership, do you mind that new data protection law that came out last year, well thats in in effect

The camera was disconnected whilst my car was being driven on public roads not on private property , & my understanding regarding recording on private property is, it is only illegal if it is done covertly. My point was, why did they disconnect the camera if they were only test driving what were they trying to hide. i was not informed that my car would spend the night on someone’s driveway, when I expected it to be in a secure compound.
I don’t see the relevance of the data protection act in this incident as it’s not gathering or disclosing personal information?

Get away with what?

Using my car as their private taxi home.
The problems I had submitted my car with didn’t even warrant a test drive as they only ever occcured when the car was stationary.

Your car has gone through real world testing in an attempt to get to the bottom of your issues, its normal procedure! Dont bite the hand that feeds you speaking metaphorically

Normal procedure to use a customers car as a private taxi home, the issues I presented were all when the car was stationary it didn’t even need to leave the workshop

A Mercedes technician has taken my car home overnight. I asked whether it would be safe and insured, and I was told it would be, so I was happy enough. It sounds like in the case of the OP, the dealer was telling truth, but failed to mention a key piece of information which could have avoided the issue now.

With regards to the dashcam, what would be most courteous, the dealship notifying the OP that they would disconnect the dashcam, or the OP notifying the dealership that s/he would be recording them? I personally believe that the onus should rest with the party intending to record.
My dash cam is fitted to record the journey of my car for insurance purposes. It’s highly visible & audible when the ignition is on. It isn’t designed to “record them” but for my protection, the fact that they disconnected the camera in itself show that they were well aware of it’s presence, my issue is they took my car home without asking me..& disabled my camera without asking or informing me..the issues I presented didn’t warrant my vehicle being taken off site as they only occurred when stationary.

With regards to your camera being disconnected they have every right to do so whilst it in on their private property. The reason behind this is to protect the privacy of staff, My MB Dealer actually asks if you have a dashcam installed and make you aware that it will be disconnected during the servicing, you agree to this by signing on the dotted line to the terms when dropping the car off. I've mentioned this in a similar post but in my line of work (IT Systems Engineer) my entire server sessions are recorded when working on Customer's systems. This is written into my terms of employment, I doubt Mercedes Dealers have something similar in place hence the reason the cameras are disconnected.

I get the private property thing, but the camera was disconnected when they decided to use my car as their private taxi home, the issues with my car didn’t require it being taken out of the workshop. I agree MB should have a policy stating cameras will be disconnected whilst being worked on & on private property..

I get the private property thing, but the camera was disconnected when they decided to use my car as their private taxi home, the issues with my car didn’t require it being taken out of the workshop. I agree MB should have a policy stating cameras will be disconnected whilst being worked on & on private property..
Sorry but I'm a little confused, in post 1 you say you agreed to the car being driven at night by a technician? If you thought the vehicle didn't need to be test driven at all to diagnose the fault driven why did you agree? If anything happened to the vehicle it would have been covered by their insurance. I do find the concept of testing a vehicle at night a little odd however, it does seem to me this was agreed? Perhaps they may have neglected to tell you their intentions. Dealerships close around 6ish with workshop staff potentially finishing earlier, therefore if permission was given to drive the car at night I fail to see how a technician could return a car to the garage after hours.
This is just my personal opinion but I think you're reading too much into this. To me this whole scenario sounds as if it is down to poor communication from the dealer which has led to some misunderstanding.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Another possible explanation might be that in order to investigate any potential intermittant current drain on the electrical system when parked up it they may have had some form of live monitoring equipment hooked up overnight. To eliminate any exterior causes it might also be wise to "overnight the car" in an environment guaranteed to be free from RF interference AND/OR disconnect any non standard /non Mercedes ancilliary equipment that might cause such a drain-- such as a third party dashcam? :dk:

Intermittent faults can be the most difficult to find. Given the dealership had asked you if you minded the car being driven at night, I would have naturally assumed that one of their techs would take the car home overnight. That is by far the most likely way they have of replicating the fault. I agree that perhaps this could have been made clearer.
Maybe we just live on different planets....but I did grow up near Wigan!

Why does any of this matter if the car was returned with no damage and with the issues resolved? It’s the past. The car is fine and did not get damaged. Move on! Sometimes it’s less stressful to let things go. Of course, if the car suffered in some way that is another thing again. Before dashcams and tech you’d never have known this happened. I don’t see the issue here...

I don’t see the relevance of the data protection act in this incident as it’s not gathering or disclosing personal information?

Yes it was, if the tech walked around the front of the car it would have captured his face (very likely seeing as they would need to open the bonnet in most cases). Given you know the location, it means you could identify the individual. As you did not have explicit authorisation from the individual they are quite within their rights to disconnect it.

MB don't need a policy as you are the one who needs their permission, not the other way around. Better if they do, but not required.

Using my car as their private taxi home.
The problems I had submitted my car with didn’t even warrant a test drive as they only ever occcured when the car was stationary.

In that case why did you agree to an evening test drive.

You are coming across as too precious about your car when absolutely no harm has been caused.

..and much the same time Salesmen became Sales Executives....

When growing up near Wigan we'd ask: 'ath bin man bin mam?'
Now one should say : 'Has the Refuse Disposal Engineer called yet mother?'

Times change:dk:

..and much the same time Salesmen became Sales Executives....

When growing up near Wigan we'd ask: 'ath bin man bin mam?'
Now one should say : 'Has the Refuse Disposal Engineer called yet mother?'

Times change:dk:

Growing up in Wales I'd just have a look in the bin without bothering the Mother and risk earning a clip around the ear.

As I said, it is not uncommon and it was not used as a taxi home 'just to drive a nice car for the night'. The vehicle has to be driven to replicate the fault.
Regarding the dash cam, they disconnected it before working on it and reconnected it when giving it back, not just for the drive home. It was probably also given to a master tech to take as they have more experience. From the point it was dropped off, it was in Mercedes' care. If it got damaged or stolen, they would put it right. They are fully insured for every event and would have no problem claiming on it.

I know you think there was some sort of fraudulent activity that took place but it didn't. Yes, they could/should have said it will be driven home by a technician. Maybe you are more frustrated because after all of this they still didn't find the fault?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom