• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do you have a mis-spaced number plate etc?

I was reading the motoring pages on the DM site. Having just read and contributed to the "Have you seen any interesting car number plates."
I initially felt posting it on that thread but IMO it would derail the thread.
Therefore, I've posted a new thread. There are so many number plates now that even on a 5 min drive to shops, there will be at least one
vehicle with illegal number plate

From the link below (its the bit re "tipped of by the public.." that made me 🤣
In the last 18 months, it issued 2,184 notices of intended prosecution letters for doctored plates - tipped off by the public 232 times.

LINK to story
not worth the risk for me, but see loads of them

Well I think it should be that if the ANPR can read the plate then it is legal,it is by far the easiest way of just removing those plates that do not pass the ANPR,,after all why do we all have number plates,it allows people to be able to say that car was whatever the reg is and so it can be traced

Well I think it should be that if the ANPR can read the plate then it is legal,it is by far the easiest way of just removing those plates that do not pass the ANPR,,after all why do we all have number plates,it allows people to be able to say that car was whatever the reg is and so it can be traced
It certainly can read mine ☹️ but the photo of the Corsa can I posted up is deffo worth a tug.

I saw this beauty today.

View attachment 159458
I have no idea what that is meant to represent .

Even with the mis-spacing , well no spacing at all , and the alteration of the 1 character to a truncated L , another offence , it still makes no sense at all .

The simple answer , in every case is for DVLA , who own the registration mark and only grant the right to display it , to withdraw the mark and issue the keeper with a 'Q Plate' which cannot be removed from the vehicle or transferred to another . That will put their gas at a peep .

Not necessarily - one of the main functions of a number plate is that it can be read by , and remembered by , any witness , driver or non=driver , to any incident on the road , even at a fleeting glance .

By corrupting registration marks in many instances that makes it difficult for witnesses to read and remember something which does not conform to the set formats , this fundamental requirement is defeated .

I think it would be fair for transgressors , to be given one warning , which is recorded on the DVLA database , and if the offence is repeated , then the registration mark would be withdrawn and a Q plate issued . The loss of their cherished mark and the issuing of a plate which devalues their vehicle would be punishment enough , although a fine can always be an option for the judge .

Bloke on my job has LA66ER X on his BMW.
Can anyone guess his trade.

Yesterday I saw,
W1SPA on some kind of SUV
A1 0DEA on a Fiat 500 which is spot on if your name is Alan O’Dea.

Sorry if I missed someone else stating this obvious fact, but if you shut off the source, it will stop.

All plate makers have to put their contact details on them so shouldn't they get fined as well for supplying it in an illegal format?
Would soon have the desired impact (apart from screw positioning instances)

Oh and ban 4Ds while you're at it

Sorry if I missed someone else stating this obvious fact, but if you shut off the source, it will stop.

All plate makers have to put their contact details on them so shouldn't they get fined as well for supplying it in an illegal format?
Would soon have the desired impact (apart from screw positioning instances)

Oh and ban 4Ds while you're at it
‘Show plates’, sold freely, and with the warning ‘not for Road use’ (which is ignored!) don’t have plate maker’s name on them, are the usual source for adjusted plates

Yes and they are fine for shows, can be really fun, but as you say, also illegal on the roaf

APNR could capture them and the seller should add them to a database (they have owners contact details) - if I ruled the world anyway....

Not necessarily - one of the main functions of a number plate is that it can be read by , and remembered by , any witness , driver or non=driver , to any incident on the road , even at a fleeting glance .

By corrupting registration marks in many instances that makes it difficult for witnesses to read and remember something which does not conform to the set formats , this fundamental requirement is defeated .
I don’t necessarily agree: mis-spaced characters may affect ANPR, but I would suggest a witness might be able to recognise and remember a word, or part of a word more easily than two letters, two numbers and 3 letters.

It’s supposed to read Welders. I got it straight away.
Language barrier perhaps??
I didn’t get it either and as our esteemed colleague says, it is illegal due to lack of spacing and what looks like a bit of black tape to make the 1 look like an L.

I’d never have considered they’d use a 4 for a D. Nothing like!

It’s supposed to read Welders. I got it straight away.
Language barrier perhaps??
Shirley a 4 is used to represent the letter A?
It does on mine and my sons,legally spaced, plates.
It in no way looks like the letter D.

The Corsa is trying toooooo hard!

I didn’t get it either and as our esteemed colleague says, it is illegal due to lack of spacing and what looks like a bit of black tape to make the 1 look like an L.

I’d never have considered they’d use a 4 for a D. Nothing like!
Thanks Jukie.
I was beginning to think it was just me needing another trip to Specsavers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom