• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do you have a mis-spaced number plate etc?

Shirley a 4 is used to represent the letter A?
It does on mine and my sons,legally spaced, plates.
It in no way looks like the letter D.

The Corsa is trying toooooo hard!
He’s a welder.

In the context of the plate the 4 is supposed to represent a D. It’s a crap plate hence the fact that the 1 has to be doctored to look like an L.

The plate will never get recognised by a camera because a digit has been altered.

My plate is F21 EAD and is mis-spaced to read F2 1EAD. I didn’t once think of altering the 1 which is why it gets picked up by speed cameras, passed its MOT and the police BMW behind me a while ago didn’t stop me.

Obviously with a mid-spaced plate a bit of imagination needs to be used and as we all know there are mis-spaced plates and there are mis-spaced plates.

Its an MOT fail either way...hopefully they check your brakes better than your plate!!

From the manual...

Registration plate characters:

• may contain grey, possibly to achieve a 3D or highlighting effect (only on vehicles first used before 1 September 2021)
  • may be raised or 3D
  • must be the correct size, stroke width and spacing
  • must not be italic, sloping or formed using broken or multiple strokes
  • must be laid out in the correct format for the age of vehicle
  • must be formed using the prescribed font or be substantially similar to the prescribed font - as shown below

DefectCategory
(a) Number plate missing or so insecure that it is likely to fall offMajor
(b) Number plate inscription missing or illegibleMajor
(c) Number plate showing an incorrect registrationMajor
(d) Number plate does not conform to the specified requirementsMajor

...then click on "Registration Plates".

I don’t necessarily agree: mis-spaced characters may affect ANPR, but I would suggest a witness might be able to recognise and remember a word, or part of a word more easily than two letters, two numbers and 3 letters.
Nope.
When the suggested reading is offered which is an alternative to the actual characters and numbers, a solicitor will have that thrown out of court and the case not proceed. No prosecution can proceed without identifying the vehicle and any doubts (was it a '3' or an E''?) are enough for that aspect to collapse.

Its an MOT fail either way...hopefully they check your brakes better than your plate!!

From the manual...

Registration plate characters:

• may contain grey, possibly to achieve a 3D or highlighting effect (only on vehicles first used before 1 September 2021)
  • may be raised or 3D
  • must be the correct size, stroke width and spacing
  • must not be italic, sloping or formed using broken or multiple strokes
  • must be laid out in the correct format for the age of vehicle
  • must be formed using the prescribed font or be substantially similar to the prescribed font - as shown below

DefectCategory
(a) Number plate missing or so insecure that it is likely to fall offMajor
(b) Number plate inscription missing or illegibleMajor
(c) Number plate showing an incorrect registrationMajor
(d) Number plate does not conform to the specified requirementsMajor

...then click on "Registration Plates".
Hardly crime of the century is it.

Hardly crime of the century is it.
Never said it was....but it does not fill you full of hope for the rest of the test if he passes something that's such an obvious fail and that you could get pulled for as soon as you leave the test station. With the amount of "mystery shop" tests put in by the ministry I'm surprised they risk it. A local one to me got done for a hollowed out DPF (not even removed) and led headlight bulbs. Sure, your plate is rather less serious....but you either stick to the rules or not.

Never said it was....but it does not fill you full of hope for the rest of the test if he passes something that's such an obvious fail and that you could get pulled for as soon as you leave the test station. With the amount of "mystery shop" tests put in by the ministry I'm surprised they risk it. A local one to me got done for a hollowed out DPF (not even removed) and led headlight bulbs. Sure, your plate is rather less serious....but you either stick to the rules or not.
And you’ve never broken the speed limit??

Yes....and if I got caught buy the authorities I would expect to be prosecuted (but i haven't since 1989!).....you did get caught by the MOT man and not only did you not get prosecuted, you got a certificate to say its fine! :D 👍

I don't really care and my plates are not actually 100% legal...but not in an obvious way and i put the stock ones on for the test....but you can't really have people moaning about plate spacing on other people's cars on this and the number plate thread, then say it's OK on theirs.
I don't care one way or the other....just pointing out the legal facts of the matter.

I don’t necessarily agree: mis-spaced characters may affect ANPR, but I would suggest a witness might be able to recognise and remember a word, or part of a word more easily than two letters, two numbers and 3 letters.
Memorable registration numbers are perfect, BOB 555 is nice and easy to remember.

Memorable words which aren’t actually the registration number aren’t, because the witness remembers what they think the mispaced and/or butchered digits were intended to spell out, and not what the registration number actually is.

The spacing and format is there to help read and memorise the digits quickly and clearly, and helps to distinguish whether a digit is a number or a letter when read at a glance or is not clearly visible, because the format is clearly defined.

But if registration numbers are mispaced, then was BOB 555 actually BOB 555? Maybe it was:
BO 8555 spaced BO8 555
BB08 SSS spaced B B08 SSS, or
BO18 555 spaced so the 1 is too close to the 8
130 BSS spaced so the 1 is too close to the 3

If the digits are butchered too then all of the above become harder to decipher, and introduces others:
808 SSS with the 8s adjusted to look more like Bs
308 SSS with the 3 adjusted to look more like a B
BB03 SSS with the adjusted to look more like a B

Those are just the tip of the iceberg, there are many more. Without misplacing and butchering digits then the only possible confusion for BOB 555 is 808 SSS, and there’s sufficient difference between an 8 and B and 5 and S to avoid that.

It’s supposed to read Welders. I got it straight away.
Language barrier perhaps??
Being the home of engineering , iron and steel works , ship and bridge building , the concept of welding is no stranger to anyone in Scotland .

The numeric 4 is normally corrupted into a A and with the 1 being misrepresented to an L , I was beaten to think of a word WELAERS or similar ; I still don't see it as welders .

If I were a traffic cop , I'd still pull that and report to DVLA .

Sorry if I missed someone else stating this obvious fact, but if you shut off the source, it will stop.

All plate makers have to put their contact details on them so shouldn't they get fined as well for supplying it in an illegal format?
Would soon have the desired impact (apart from screw positioning instances)

Oh and ban 4Ds while you're at it
You can still order 'show plates' from places like ROI and IOM as well as other countries , and these suppliers don't care .

Being the home of engineering , iron and steel works , ship and bridge building , the concept of welding is no stranger to anyone in Scotland .

The numeric 4 is normally corrupted into a A and with the 1 being misrepresented to an L , I was beaten to think of a word WELAERS or similar ; I still don't see it as welders .

It looks nothing like WELDERS simply because a 4 looks nothing like a D!

He’s a welder. Possibly dyslexic, a mug or he’s just trying it on.
FWIW I’d pull him as well due to the 1into an L.

You can still order 'show plates' from places like ROI and IOM as well as other countries , and these suppliers don't care .
I had H8 POO made up by a show plate company and my F2 1EAD was made by the same type of company.

My daughter had a fake plate reads SCW 2807. Her initials and her birthday. It was made up by a firm I found on the squinternet.

I had H8 POO made up by a show plate company and my F2 1EAD was made by the same type of company.

My daughter had a fake plate reads SCW 2807. Her initials and her birthday. It was made up by a firm I found on the squinternet.
Since my cars tend to be old enough to predate the requirements of makers names and postcodes , I tend to get my plates made up by such places as well .

I know that newly made plates are meant to be compliant , but who is to say ( prove ) that a plate on an older car was made before or since the regulations came in , my plates are always in every other way compliant .

I no longer own a car pre Sept 2001......so I try to (mostly) comply....no supplying dealer....but I made them myself!....but it has the bs mark and the correct font, spacing etc. My last pre 2001 one was a 1969 car.... so black and chrome....

1000002969.jpg

I no longer own a car pre Sept 2001......so I try to (mostly) comply....no supplying dealer....but I made them myself!....but it has the bs mark and the correct font, spacing etc. My last pre 2001 one was a 1969 car.... so black and chrome....

View attachment 159540
I haven't ever had a car newer than 2001 , closest I got was my 1999 W140 , nor have I any plan to ever own anything that new .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom