Double Din Facia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deker

Car
2012 3ltr Jaguar XFS
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place as it sort of fits with the electrics...

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a double DIN facia for a 2006 C class? I've had enough of waiting to get a decent iPod connection to my COMMAND unit (and bluetooth phone conenction for a n95) so I'm looking at getting a Pioneer unit, hopefully a AVIC-D3Bti.

Unfortunatly I've only found facia adapters that allow the fitting of a single DIN unit so at the minute it looks like I may be stuck with the only option of an AVIC-X1BT.

Thanks for any help

Deker

Hi

What's wrong with the MB iPod kit ? Have used it for about a year and about to re-install into my C-Class together with COMAND - I thought it was great - did you have some problem with it ?

Can't comment on the phone issue - but if there's no way to get an N95 to communicate with the bluetooth UHI, then guess you could have a problem ... different phone, perhaps ? :)

Have never seen a W203 with a double din fascia, so can't answer your question - sorry - somebody may well know the answer though.

S.

Yes you can get them! Any good audio shop will help you. PM me your email address and I will send you some pics of one fitted to my old W203.

Sorted :)

Pioneer actually do them so hopefully there'll be a AVIC-D3Bti getting fitted this weekend

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place as it sort of fits with the electrics...

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a double DIN facia for a 2006 C class? I've had enough of waiting to get a decent iPod connection to my COMMAND unit (and bluetooth phone conenction for a n95) so I'm looking at getting a Pioneer unit, hopefully a AVIC-D3Bti.

Unfortunatly I've only found facia adapters that allow the fitting of a single DIN unit so at the minute it looks like I may be stuck with the only option of an AVIC-X1BT.

Thanks for any help

Deker

So you are going to take COMAND out and put in a Pioneer!

You do realise that the pioneer wont work with your steering wheel controls and the unit will look very non standard!

Why waste the investment in your COMAND. As SYM says, simply add the MB ipod kit and a bluetooth module and you are sorted!

Hi Alfie,

The pioneer unit has an optional unit to use the steering controls (which I'll be getting)

The problem I had with the COMMAND unit is that I can't get MP3's to play on it and also when I asked MB about the ipod they told me that the track names wouldn't be displayed on the display and only in the instrument cluster. I've got problems with this as I can't even get the SatNav directions displaying in the cluster :(

I was going to try and go for a none MB iPod interface but the only 2 that I've found are getting mixed reviews so I didn't really want to take a gamble of trying them (no demos systems to check)

I wasn't too concerned about bluetooth as I just use an ear piece but with the pioneer one being £45 I thougt I might as well have it while I'm on with it.

I know the unit wont be completely like the COMMAND unit but there are a few pics on the pioneer web site and they don't look too bad: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/10/20/AVIC-D3BTi/media.html

Last edited:
Hi Alfie,

The pioneer unit has an optional unit to use the steering controls (which I'll be getting)

The problem I had with the COMMAND unit is that I can't get MP3's to play on it and also when I asked MB about the ipod they told me that the track names wouldn't be displayed on the display and only in the instrument cluster. I've got problems with this as I can't even get the SatNav directions displaying in the cluster :(

I was going to try and go for a none MB iPod interface but the only 2 that I've found are getting mixed reviews so I didn't really want to take a gamble of trying them (no demos systems to check)

I wasn't too concerned about bluetooth as I just use an ear piece but with the pioneer one being £45 I thougt I might as well have it while I'm on with it.

I know the unit wont be completely like the COMMAND unit but there are a few pics on the pioneer web site and they don't look too bad: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/10/20/AVIC-D3BTi/media.html

Sounds like your comand was not properly installed.

The MB ipod interface works well with comand and the cluster. will the pioneer display the track names in the cluster?

What are you going to do with your 'old' comand?

Sounds like your comand was not properly installed.

The MB ipod interface works well with comand and the cluster. will the pioneer display the track names in the cluster?

What are you going to do with your 'old' comand?

The Pioneer does not talk to the car. It may in some cases accept the volume input from the steering wheel.

That's right basically it'll allow the use of the volume control (and maybe the station change) , but the pioneer unit is touch screen so navigation shouldn't be a problem.

The Pioneer unit wont send any info to the cluster

The only display on the cluster will be 'AUDIO' both volume and station selection will work from the steering wheel! ;)

That's right basically it'll allow the use of the volume control (and maybe the station change) , but the pioneer unit is touch screen so navigation shouldn't be a problem.

I think those touch screens make normal people into obsessive compulsive cleaners and hand washers. I am rather keen on being able to enter the address by speaking.

Most people seem not to be aware that voice control allows total control
on the W203 MOST navigation, including zoom in/out and any other useful button press.

I've just been reading the fitting instructions for the pioneer and as expected it needs a speed pulse feed for the unit, I'm guessing that the COMMAND unit also needs a speed pulse, so does anyone know if I can just hook up the pioneer wire to the one(?) that COMMAND uses or do I need to use an alternative?

Thanks for any help

I've just been reading the fitting instructions for the pioneer and as expected it needs a speed pulse feed for the unit, I'm guessing that the COMAND unit also needs a speed pulse, so does anyone know if I can just hook up the pioneer wire to the one(?) that COMAND uses or do I need to use an alternative?

Thanks for any help

The COMAND can obtain the information over CANbus. You may want to get the speed pulse from the BiXenon connector in the front fuse box. Usually Bixenon control harness has a speed pulse in it. Unless that is also CANbus driven as it is in the W211.

Looks like you better start shopping for an adapter.

Thanks Miro,

I've been searching the forums but so far have only found the solution to the pre-facelift w203.

But as you suggest I started looking for an adapter and found the Soundlinx CAN05MER, so I'll probably order one of them to make the job both easier, neater and hopefully quicker :)

Thanks again

The COMAND can obtain the information over CANbus. You may want to get the speed pulse from the BiXenon connector in the front fuse box. Usually Bixenon control harness has a speed pulse in it. Unless that is also CANbus driven as it is in the W211.

Looks like you better start shopping for an adapter.

Took your advice and ordered a CANbus adapter :) thanks to all who've helped

Update:

Got the head unit fitted and it's a great piece of kit, the only problem i have is the radio aerial, for some reason the fakra - iso adapters don't want to work...

I'm guessing that the MB head unit supplied a power output to the aerial and that I need to reconnect it, does anyone know where i can find a pinout of the MB connector?

EDIT: found where it was meant to be and now have all stations :)

Thanks

Deker

Last edited:
Just a couple of questions here. Does the volume control work from steering wheel? Also, what year is your car or is it not a w211? I have been told by someone that steering control does not work on pre 2004 models.

Hi,

Yes the steering controls work (volume and track change) mine's a 2006 W203

Got any pickies :) im interested to see it in the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom