DPF /EGR /CAT DELETE & REMAP on 120cdi Vito

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I can see why the garage he was barred from took their stance.
Olly took the time to offer good advice (as always) and gets a tirade in response.

It should have been thanx (sic) for giving me good advice but I am choosing to ignore it.

Hi everyone. I would like a little advice. My catalytic was stolen a while back so being the penny pincher i can bi i decided to fit the decat pipe. Now ever since the vito 111 2006 2.1 has smoked more the saviles cigar. I was wonder if it needs to have the cat deleted with a remap because the van is trying to do a regeneration due to the cat and sensor being non existent. Ive drove it for 20.000 plus and the only problem I have is the smoke and its not nice for the people behind me it a queue . Please help these poor souls . Thanks in advance

Hi everyone. I would like a little advice. My catalytic was stolen a while back so being the penny pincher i can be i decided to fit the decat pipe. Now ever since the vito 111 2006 2.1 has smoked more the saviles cigar. I was wonder if it needs to have the cat deleted with a remap because the van is trying to do a regeneration due to the cat and sensor being non existent. Ive drove it for 20.000 plus and the only problem I have is the smoke and its not nice for the people behind me it a queue . Please help these poor souls . Thanks in advance

Definitely sounds like the Turbo Actuator is fried.. been there had that .. Turbos and actuators are fickle things and need to be calibrated together and not as separates - at £1300 lighter ask me how I know..

Next, was all your activity done under the bonnet at the one time or on separate visits? First visit should have been to check your engine's health - Martin at Pendle Performance would have done this and advised accordingly before proceeding.. your indie should have done the same..

With regards to insults and abuse, calm your jets a little - it is a slow forum, people will come and help.. but I guess its to late for that and you scared them all away.. I know how desperate you are to have your vehicle fixed especially as its a DD, been there wore that T shirt too.. so calm down a little, an apology maybe a good place to start ...dunno, just saying like.

He stropped off back in February.

This is an interesting post and if you go back about two weeks ago on the engine section a fellow member called Nick who was asking for help with a belching blue/ white smoking Sprinter.
Feeling sorry for him I gave the guy several calls to your side and we established that the shop he was taking to was fudging the job it seemed and they did not have the proper diagnostic equipment or skills possibly to fix it properly. Now after a trip to a Benz dealer it's working at an additional cost after dumping a lot of coins on the first shop!.
So backing up and reading the helpful suggestions & diatribe I have read on this post here it's a typical scenario I see at my shop on this side.
There are a few exceptions which may or may not surprise you.

Many members of the motoring public consider mechanics /techs and shop owners like me as a total bunch of rip off merchants, mostly due to the charge out rates and the frustration of not being able to DIY fix modern vehicles especially things like MB's. Landrovers and BMW's! So it's a source of antagonisms and frustrations; and yes I have fired customers for verbal abuse even called the local fuzz to eject threatening individuals.
Now on my side it's is illegal for me as a professional in the business to tamper with federally prescribed emission devices. Penalty is $10,000 fine for the first offense and a shop near mine recently was visited by a group of Feds all 800 lb like Gubbermint Gorillas for making a killing out of deleting emissions equipment. The fine in front of the man in the black robe was $360,000! (no wigs on this side):)
They had to sell the shop to pay for the fine and legal expenses. UGLY!

Now deleting MB programs in an experimental fashion is always a crap shoot and often made worse if you don't have a factory style scanner to read live data.
As an example one re-prog'd/Cat DPF deleted Sprinter recently with a cutting out issue was all down to the max fuel pressure was going sky high and shutting down the rig as a system protection device. I refused to fix it as i could easily implicated in a possible tampering scenario!
Its unclear from the OP post if the vehicle (Vito ) has a system with or without Adblue.
Of course both units have a differential pressure sensor that MUST give the right back pressure and correlate with the EBP. With the Adblue systems it's the Nox sensors across the SCR Cat the SCN coding, initialization and ability to see at least a 70 % NOx drop across the cat.
If you can't get that right then who is laughing N2O2 style! (because within 80 to 240 miles it will drop into a limp mode.) Might seem like pulling teeth at the dentist who is using N202 as well!
As total mess it seems but it begs the question why not fix it right and be done with it.
Is this money thing?
Tuercas viejas

This is an interesting post and if you go back about two weeks ago on the engine section a fellow member called Nick who was asking for help with a belching blue/ white smoking Sprinter.
Feeling sorry for him I gave the guy several calls to your side and we established that the shop he was taking to was fudging the job it seemed and they did not have the proper diagnostic equipment or skills possibly to fix it properly. Now after a trip to a Benz dealer it's working at an additional cost after dumping a lot of coins on the first shop!.
So backing up and reading the helpful suggestions & diatribe I have read on this post here it's a typical scenario I see at my shop on this side.
There are a few exceptions which may or may not surprise you.

Many members of the motoring public consider mechanics /techs and shop owners like me as a total bunch of rip off merchants, mostly due to the charge out rates and the frustration of not being able to DIY fix modern vehicles especially things like MB's. Landrovers and BMW's! So it's a source of antagonisms and frustrations; and yes I have fired customers for verbal abuse even called the local fuzz to eject threatening individuals.
Now on my side it's is illegal for me as a professional in the business to tamper with federally prescribed emission devices. Penalty is $10,000 fine for the first offense and a shop near mine recently was visited by a group of Feds all 800 lb like Gubbermint Gorillas for making a killing out of deleting emissions equipment. The fine in front of the man in the black robe was $360,000! (no wigs on this side):)
They had to sell the shop to pay for the fine and legal expenses. UGLY!

Now deleting MB programs in an experimental fashion is always a crap shoot and often made worse if you don't have a factory style scanner to read live data.
As an example one re-prog'd/Cat DPF deleted Sprinter recently with a cutting out issue was all down to the max fuel pressure was going sky high and shutting down the rig as a system protection device. I refused to fix it as i could easily implicated in a possible tampering scenario!
Its unclear from the OP post if the vehicle (Vito ) has a system with or without Adblue.
Of course both units have a differential pressure sensor that MUST give the right back pressure and correlate with the EBP. With the Adblue systems it's the Nox sensors across the SCR Cat the SCN coding, initialization and ability to see at least a 70 % NOx drop across the cat.
If you can't get that right then who is laughing N2O2 style! (because within 80 to 240 miles it will drop into a limp mode.) Might seem like pulling teeth at the dentist who is using N202 as well!
As total mess it seems but it begs the question why not fix it right and be done with it.
Is this money thing?
Tuercas viejas
I don't mind paying the money for an aftermarket catalytic converter, but I can't really afford the genuine mb one. Ive watched a few video's and they are saying dont fit the aftermarket catalytic converters because they don't work. I'm just trying to save money and get advice. I understand what your saying about tampering with mb software so i wont be going down that route. I don't suppose you know if these aftermarket cats are any good. Thanks for the help

This whole post is amazing ! Removing, EGR, DPF, Cat and so on, means an instant MOT fail now.

I don't mind paying the money for an aftermarket catalytic converter, but I can't really afford the genuine mb one. Ive watched a few video's and they are saying dont fit the aftermarket catalytic converters because they don't work. I'm just trying to save money and get advice. I understand what your saying about tampering with mb software so i wont be going down that route. I don't suppose you know if these aftermarket cats are any good. Thanks for the help

ChristianF
The issue with aftermarket Cats and DPF's is that they are not always compatible with MB software, so getting them to teach in can be difficult if even impossible!
I have tried some from Czech but they are hard to get to work right.
For that reason I simply just recommend installing the real deal, program it in and yur dun~!
If you read over that thread from Nick on his Sprinter you will see that he went through this very same issue and had a shop install an aftermarket unit without success resulting in having a "Sauf Lundun" insect fogger .
Cheers Dennis
T/V

Hi everyone ,
This is my first post , I'd like to inform anybody who is thinking about the removal and remap of the DPF , EGR , & Catalytic converter on the OM642 V6 , Don't bother ! !
I've had a absolute nightmare since having the mod done on my 07 Vito 120 .
I've ended up having the ecu remapped thee times all the exhaust sensors being replaced , new maf , turbo intake seal , intake sensor and a stainless steel twin exit exhaust fitted.
The van is now in limp mode , no lights on the dash , no codes , and now it won't kick down & the turbo won't come in.
Any help would be a bonus.
I'm having the same issue,the tunner told me to unplug the egr after the tune, but the van will be in limp mode, no codes, even I scaned with Star, shows nothing. Afte plug back, limp mode gone. not sure how you solved the issue.

lesson learned here then, it is of course perfectly possible to remove the emission devices from and engine and retune to get better power. better fuel economy and of course still pass an mot, but you need to know what you are doing and if it goes wrong you need to know how to interpret the issue. why is it going to limp mode, boost too high or other issues like the engine is expecting to see egr with an increase in inlet temperature but it doesn't see it and shut down for safety, is the dpf pressure differential too low because of the removed filter, is the exhaust temperature correct or is it not seeing an increase due to cat being missing, in my experience even the main dealers have problems diagnosing faults on un modified cars (twice i've been told i need a new dpf. with no evidence to back up why, once there was nothing wrong and the second time it was the dpf pressure differential sensor)

lesson learned here then, it is of course perfectly possible to remove the emission devices from and engine and retune to get better power. better fuel economy and of course still pass an mot, but you need to know what you are doing and if it goes wrong you need to know how to interpret the issue. why is it going to limp mode, boost too high or other issues like the engine is expecting to see egr with an increase in inlet temperature but it doesn't see it and shut down for safety, is the dpf pressure differential too low because of the removed filter, is the exhaust temperature correct or is it not seeing an increase due to cat being missing, in my experience even the main dealers have problems diagnosing faults on un modified cars (twice i've been told i need a new dpf. with no evidence to back up why, once there was nothing wrong and the second time it was the dpf pressure differential sensor)
So the 120cdi engine if you want to delete the egr with a tune, you must completely remove the egr valve then put on a blanking plate. If you don’t do this the car will never run properly with an egr ecu delete if it’s not removed. But in the 122cdi with the EDC17C ecu you can unplug it and delete with tune with no issues. The EDC16C ecu has always been a difficult ecu on certain engines, some more than others

So the 120cdi engine if you want to delete the egr with a tune, you must completely remove the egr valve then put on a blanking plate. If you don’t do this the car will never run properly with an egr ecu delete if it’s not removed. But in the 122cdi with the EDC17C ecu you can unplug it and delete with tune with no issues. The EDC16C ecu has always been a difficult ecu on certain engines, some more than others
Additionally I would recommend when it comes to delete tunes Alex of Effective Tuning is the the master deletes. Easily found on Facebook and on his web site

I’ve had 2 issues with delete tunes on Merc diesels and he’s the only one that could fix them

OK , not sure why this old thread got re be booted , but can we agree on 2 things ?

The OP left this particular thread almost 7 years ago , correct.... ?

Removing Egr, Dpf and Cat is an instant MOT failure if spotted by the tester even if the vehicle passes emissions , correct ....? , Or not ?

Removing Egr, Dpf and Cat is an instant MOT failure if spotted by the tester even if the vehicle passes emissions , correct ....? , Or not ?
Correct.....and punishable by a £1000 fine if caught on the road like that (£2000 if its a commercial vehicle).

From the testers manual..

"You should reject all vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2002, where original emissions control equipment components are missing, obviously modified or obviously defective."

DefectCategory
(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defectiveMajor

Not to mention its very difficult to pass the "no visible smoke" part of the test with no DPF.

(d) Exhaust on a vehicle fitted with a diesel particulate filter emits visible smoke of any colourMajor

This all said many testers will use their secretion of the car has a modded DPF (so hollowed out....BUT NOT MISSING!) or a race type low cell count cat on a petrol car (both technically major fails) if it passes the emission and smoke tests......and I've never heard of anyone being fined for no DPF on the road....although its within their powers now to do a roadside stop to check.

OK , not sure why this old thread got re be booted , but can we agree on 2 things ?

The OP left this particular thread almost 7 years ago , correct.... ?

Not here mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom