driver window smashed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im sure if you take the door card off you can hoover the glass this should of been done when the glass was replaced by them as part of the job🤫

If it's anything like a C63 door when you remove the door card you can't get to anything as there is an aluminium panel pop riveted to the inside of the door. The pop rivets have to be drilled out v carefully so as not to go through the outer door skin. Special kit to re install the panel afterwards. I watched them do this when I had a faulty door lock, not as straight forward as you would think.

Agreeing with the above: don't accept anything less than a perfect repair.

Yes, someone doesn't have to hoover out the glass - it's a routine thing.
Yes, someone does have to repair / replace the trim.
And no, it won't go down as a claim excess, it's just the cost of repairing the broken window.

I think its with all policies, they have approved glass people with a small excess, but if you want to use someone else you can, but its always a much bigger excess.

So fixed the glass for £120, but the door is full of glass bits we can hear the noise, the guy who did the glass told me that the bits reach the bottom part of the door and is sealed so unless the whole door is removed, wiring removed, and the glass flipped upside down, the bits cant be pulled out. Adding to the misery, the window trim is damaged which clearly is the use of a utensil (crowbar shaped). Any ideas?
Can't figure out why you paid £120 when everyone said the excess would be the only thing to pay & don't believe excess is £120. Looks like you were stuffed, paid too much & got a crap job into the bargain. Why ask for advice then ignore it when 100% say the same thing

Was writing my reply sometime as erni
If it's anything like a C63 door when you remove the door card you can't get to anything as there is an aluminium panel pop riveted to the inside of the door. The pop rivets have to be drilled out v carefully so as not to go through the outer door skin. Special kit to re install the panel afterwards. I watched them do this when I had a faulty door lock, not as straight forward as you would think.
If this was the case I still would expect it to be part of the job, it's like going to a body shop fitting a red wing on a blue car and saying there you go that will be x amount ,imo the job hasn't been done satisfactorily 🙁

Not for £120 or your £75 you won't. Think about it, it's take the door card off, drill out the rivets, remove glass, install new window, install panel using MB kit ( isn't cheap) install door card. You're replacement window could end up taking the best part of the day. That's assuming it has the inner skin, if it doesn't I agree with you.

On the (two) occasions that Autoglass replaced a side window on my wife's car, the engineer hoovered the broken old glass from the car as part of the service.

That said, there were still tiny bits of it popping-up here in there in the weeks and months that followed. .. most annoyingly, on one occasion a bit of the glass made its way into the glove compartment lock, on another it sunk into the front passenger seat belt buckle - took a lot of patience to get these bits out...

Not for £120 or your £75 you won't. Think about it, it's take the door card off, drill out the rivets, remove glass, install new window, install panel using MB kit ( isn't cheap) install door card. You're replacement window could end up taking the best part of the day. That's assuming it has the inner skin, if it doesn't I agree with you.

Perhaps not for £120, but in the case of the £75 excess, surely any additional cost will be absorbed by the insurer?

Forget the money
I personally would not except that kind of work,i was always taught if you do a job do it properly not half a job which has been done hear !!

Forget the money
I personally would not except that kind of work,i was always taught if you do a job do it properly not half a job which has been done
No argument from me, the company obviously know what the job entails & have settled for the quickest & most cost efficient option, rather than the complete the job to the highest standard option.

It costs whatever it takes to do a perfect job. The £75 is all you pay immaterial of the final cost. The insurance company pays the final bill. A few years ago I had a new model S class which had just come out & had screen damage after a week. There were no screens in the UK so Autoglass overnighted one from Germany. Car had all the fancy gubbins that an S class has on the screens so took a while to fit. Final bill was considerably more than fitting a side glass. What did I pay, the excess. £75 or whatever it was then.

Totally agree but after all the advice I think the op payed£120 not the excess route stupid really ask a question get advice then do your own thing pointless .
Id say thanks to gillyc63 i never new that about a c63 door 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom