Drivers Door Sticking out slightly and headlight on drivers side bit too close to bonnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See below:
It clearly has been involved in an accident so they are asking the OP to believe that they bought it in that condition from an Approved MB dealer and neither noticed or both ignored it?

When you are looking at a second hand car I think you know deep down call it a gut feeling if it’s a good one or not. I realise it says you’ve not bought it, so i’m late to the party, but the fact you asked the question in the first place means it was bothering you, I did exactly the same in July, I found a car and wasn’t 100% happy with, asked a few questions on here and walked away, the dealer wasn’t particularly happy but tough. The following day found another identical one, and this one I new instantly it was the one for me, it was £700 more expensive than the first, but to me the extra cash was value , the fact it had a full service history and had just had a gearbox service with warranty had premium tyres fitted etc I’m sure your perfect car will be just round the corner, and you’ll be glad you waited.

When you are looking at a second hand car I think you know deep down call it a gut feeling if it’s a good one or not. I realise it says you’ve not bought it, so i’m late to the party, but the fact you asked the question in the first place means it was bothering you, I did exactly the same in July, I found a car and wasn’t 100% happy with, asked a few questions on here and walked away, the dealer wasn’t particularly happy but tough. The following day found another identical one, and this one I new instantly it was the one for me, it was £700 more expensive than the first, but to me the extra cash was value , the fact it had a full service history and had just had a gearbox service with warranty had premium tyres fitted etc I’m sure your perfect car will be just round the corner, and you’ll be glad you waited.
^^^^ This 👍

Well they said they had a small bump at the front and it was repaired by the Insurance approved repairer. Not categorised by the insurance company.

They claimed that was on the opposite side to where I can see the headlight and door issues.

Am looking for my first Mercedes now.

2014 to 18 model. C Class AMG Line premium plus. Needs to have pan roof. 4 door. Pref white. Mileage under 70k. Engine size minimum 2.1. If anyone knows anyone selling then let me know.

I am guessing you are looking for a car with the OM651 Diesel engine then? W205 C220d/C250d?
Yes my friend. Don't mind the Hybrid models also. Diesel or Petrol. Any W205 model but not 1.6d. Don't think that would be enough power for me.

Love to everyone that supported me in making this wise decision.

Thanks again....

I'd stick to the diesel variant. Google OM651 common issues and you will be informed on what to look for engine wise.

I'd stick to the diesel variant. Google OM651 common issues and you will be informed on what to look for engine wise.

In the addition to the usual general EU6 Diesel maladies: AdBlue issues, NOx sensors, and DPF.

What would you guys say is the most reliable engine in the W205

What would you guys say is the most reliable engine in the W205

The OM651 isn't an unreliable engine. The issues are with the EU6 Diesel emissions system, especially the after-treatment (DPF and AdBlue), they are potentially problematic across the range (and not just on the OM651 engine). That said, they don't all go wrong.

The alternative is the C200 with the M274 2.0L petrol engine, there are less things to go wrong, but not sure if you'll be happy with a petrol car given that you're looking for a Diesel one.

As MJ says the OM651 is overall pretty good if looked after - but imho the ad blue system spoils it - not so much the fact that the sensors fail (inc the sensor in the ad blue which means buying a new tank complete) but that MB charge an unreasonable amount for the repairs. Some owners delete the emissions control systems to save the repair bill - which sort of defeats the objective.

Don't mind petrol either but finding that there are less about on the market.

Thanks for the info guys.

Not being rude but if you are looking at a secondhand motor and looking for complete factory showroom perfection you are going to be looking a very very long time.
I would advise to get a quote for the paint chips and negotiate this off the price.
Again the light points towards a small bump at some point, hardly fatal - just knock some more cash off the price.

Not being rude but if you are looking at a secondhand motor and looking for complete factory showroom perfection you are going to be looking a very very long time.
I would advise to get a quote for the paint chips and negotiate this off the price.
Again the light points towards a small bump at some point, hardly fatal - just knock some more cash off the price.
Hmm....the car could also have been put out of alignment as chassis level and that could be a symptom, so a little bit more serious than 'hardly fatal'.

I know this because its happened to me in the past. One of my previous cars got turned into as I drove by, other car's tyre damage caused minor damage to drivers side doors. Fast forward 3 months to its next service, all 4 tyres complete ruined by abnormal wear and the chassis out of alignment by some margin - aside from a couple of minor dents on the doors no other VISIBLE damage. The car in question here has too many question marks.....

The OP (wisely, imo) walked away from the potential purchase almost 2 months ago.

On the subject of superficial vs. significant damage, it's hardest to make an assessment on a car that has already had sub-standard repair work carried out. For example, is the door misalignment simply the result of the repairer failing to set it correctly, or is it indicative of a more serious underlying issue that means it can't be set correctly? Likewise the misalignment in the shell of the headlamp.

My personal rule is never to buy anything (unless it's an old / cheap snotter) that has uneven shut lines or misaligned panels. It won't have come out of the factory like that, so it indicates a less-than-perfect repair that could well be hiding a world of pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom