E Class Diesel Blue Efficiency, any good for a short commute??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't commute (work at home), see real world MPG figures below for a 2.2 CDI vs a 3.0 V6 Biturbo petrol.

Most of my driving is mooching around or a day out at the weekend.

When (if) we choose to replace the E class it won't be with a diesel.

The E has done 18,000 miles in 16 months

The SL has done 2,000 miles in a little over 3 months.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be choosing the diesel for the OP's scenario. The DPF is a big consideration if there will be very little in the way of prolonged driving.

Fuel economy on short distances on the diesel will only be marginally better then the petrol version for such short journeys.

I'd take the petrol version every time in those circumstances (and I have the diesel version now, but do longer distances (60+ mile journeys))

I am in the market soon (once I have sold my Porsche) to buy a Mercedes CL but like to keep an open mind and look at alternatives, my budget is something like up to £16,000.
The E Class coupe Blue Efficiency diesels look tempting while not in the same league as the CL's, they seem good value and cheap to run.
I can accept the expense of running a CL 500 which is of course petrol but wonder if a diesel engine would suit me as my commute to work is only 9 miles, but with a diesel engine it just has not enough time in a 20 minute drive to work to reach it's full operating temperature which has been an issue I have encountered before.
I don't really know what this Blue Efficiency thing is I must confess, so can you please educate me and advise if an E class coupe with these engines would serve my purpose and which one is best.
Many thanks.

I've had my Blue Efficiency 350 for 4 years now and I only drive circa 5K miles a year including a 6 mile round trip to the train station on week days (too far to walk especially with a long train commute!). I don't keep tabs on the fuel consumption as who cares when you are doing so few miles - I think I fill up about once monthly :)

Previous car was a 320 diesel and which I had for 5 years and I did a similar amount of miles in that. Car is always MB serviced (and is likely to be with me until I can get a year old S213 to replace it). Never anything flagged at the service because of the lack of miles and I don't ever purposely go out and do a long drive just for the hell of it as is suggested above.

The only mild irritation between this and the last car is that the service indicator comes up at at 12 months as I am 'forced' to service it having only driven 5k miles. Service intervals for the W211 were time/mileage based, so indicator came up at about 18 months which is one less service every 3 years...but then that's progress for you.

For me, type of fuel is a much lesser consideration than engine size and trim level, extras etc. so annual mileage is irrelevant - I just want the nicest car to sit in. The fact is the number of estate diesels far outnumber petrol cars means that if I am buying nearly new as I do, I am far more likely to end up with a diesel.

So my own personal experience of averaging 5k miles a year over a 9 year period suggests that there is no detriment to the actual engine. Obviously those that want to get their slide rules out to weigh up the actual cost of motoring might see things in a different light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom