E250 2014 petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ro-76

Car
E class estate
I'm about to buy an E250 W212 estate petrol variant. My mileage is low, around 10K and mostly short trips. Not that many of these cars around amid the masses of diesels. From what I have read, it makes sense for me, and I generally prefer driving petrol vs diesels. Does anyone have any advice or experience of this model?

Thx

Some model numbers have either huge bias to one fuel type or are one fuel type only. The 250 is primarily a diesel, the biggest 4 pot diesel before the V6s. The 320 mainly diesel and the 350 is a mixed bag. The 63s are obviously all petrol, and I think the 180s are too.

Just look at the model variant (beta) section of auto trader, it shows numbers for each kind and you can see the biases if you select a fuel type first.

To add, there's 61 petrol 250s and 800 diesels right now. :crazy:

Just asking because I'm nosey but what's your point? Are petrols not as good as deisels in your opinion? Just curious.

Ant.

On the contrary. I have petrol, I've never had a diesel, and would rather drink someone else's vomit than own one.

I wasn't making a point about one fuel over the other. I was just highlighting how some model numbers have huge biases to one fuel, like how all 180s are petrol, and only 1 in every 13! 250s are petrol, hence the OP's difficulty in finding a 250 petrol... A C350 is 4.5x more likely to be diesel than petrol, and E350 is 19/1 diesel.

All according to what's for sale on auto trader, but then, those are the best numbers we've got readily available to research the 2nd market.

Last edited:
I've always been a petrol fan but my last two cars have been diesels, Passat CC and C207 220D. One of the main reasons is that I tend to keep them for 2-3 years and the depreciation on a petrol engine compared to diesel is a lot more.

I own one, in fact I ordered it specially. I'm not adverse to nearly new, but try finding the petrol CGI's.

I will list the negatives, most of which are general E class negatives:

Gearbox easily confused - seamless changes, just far to many of them!
Not wonderful at demisting.
Command is rubbish, don't pay a premium.
CGi very noisy on cold tick over, silent when warm.
Car is very wide, but easy to place. Doesn't fit any parking spaces (except Costco).
Tinted windows in this weather is very grim inside for passengers (so I never ordered!)
Steering feel awfull/rubbish/disconnected.
Load liner fouls the United-slammable electric tailgate half the time.
Factory rear mats dont fit the longer wheelbase wagon.

Positives:

Extremely comfortable.
Very sweet sounding under hard acceleration.
Incredibly quick.
Boot is huge.... (But not deep enough - you only get 5 foot diagonally)
Not everywhere like C class.
Three adults can comfortably travel long distance in the back without being crippled.

Economy:

You might drive like mother Theresa on Valium. Sadly I don't, I try to it just never happens! Let's call my style "making progress" :D

I get 26.9 MPG (average over 5000 miles) of which 4000 miles stop start A/B roads, 1000 miles motorway, cruise on 80mph.

Thank you all for the information. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom