• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

E300 Multivalve diesel tickover problem

philiggy

Car
C180 Estate & C220 CDI
Hi all
I,ve been offered another Multi valve diesel that supposedly needs no work (unlike my other 2).
I've used it for a few days and on starting some times it ticks over very slowly, the rev counter not working, then the rev counter starts working and the tick over speed comes up to normal, it surges up and down a bit and then its fine:confused:

Hi all
I,ve been offered another Multi valve diesel that supposedly needs no work (unlike my other 2).
I've used it for a few days and on starting some times it ticks over very slowly, the rev counter not working, then the rev counter starts working and the tick over speed comes up to normal, it surges up and down a bit and then its fine:confused:

sounds like its not a faulty rev counter then.

just based on threads i've read in the past about fuel starvation etc:

is it on diesel? has it been run on veg?

it could be blocked fuel filters/air in the system? i get fuel starvation at 1/4 tank and this sort of sounds like that.

sounds like it does need work then.

try pulling and plugging the EGR pipe - see if the idle returns to normal.

It sounds like the idle stabiliser and rev counter are not getting any power. Possibly the OVP relay.

Allegedly there's an idle speed stabilisation ECU. Sounds like yours doesn't, if you know what I mean

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks guys, any idea where abouts these are, so I can check, is it a big problem or a relatively straight forward repair:confused:

2 fuse ovp relay

It sounds like the idle stabiliser and rev counter are not getting any power. Possibly the OVP relay.

Thanks guys it is the OVP relay, but it has 2 fuses in, my other car same year same model only 1 fuse ?
I checked the russian site and that appeared to only have 1 fuse,
Is it the wrong one or did some have 2 fuses:confused:

Phil

Last edited:
The extra fuse is for ASR or something.

How did you sus the fault given different relays?

Last edited:
I took the fuses out to see if it made any difference, it didnt, I changed the control units over and that made no difference,so to confirm I took the fuse out of my other E300D, which then had exactly the same fault.

So I'm hoping thats the fault, I'll find out for def when I get a new one on Monday

Phil

Automatic skid restraint. Traction control.

It's probably a cracked solder joint, just open the relay and resolder it.

As a test just bridge the contacts and see if it runs. The OVP is to guard against reverse polarity of the battery so not much risk really.

Last edited:
i dont think any came with this. its not an option on the diesels.

I think you are correct, I just checked all the options on the Russian site the only difference over and above my other one is headlamp wash wipe and aircon(looks like a diavia system tho).
Mind you if It sorts it I'll but the car and then have 3 multi-valve estates :eek: (I only want 1)

Phil

To be absolutely sure it's the OVP, backprobe terminal 7 of the engine / interior multiplug (X26/7) it's the 12 pole multiplug on the bulkhead on the driver's side, near the heating duovalve.

If the OVP is OK, with the engine running, you should measure battery voltage at terminal 7. Also check fuse 6 in the main fuse box, which provides power to the OVP.

New ovp relay fitted £36+ vat ecp seems okay now thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom