E43 AMG owners thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have now. They've said there are no outstanding recalls on it.

I can confirm that after they fitted a new battery and i charged it(Took the ctek a full day) start stop now works consistently despite multiple short journeys. It activates once the car is warm and the ac isn't working too hard, pretty much straight away on most short journeys. It works exactly the same as with other cars I've driven. Soon I will probably switch it off!:) Awesome car if there are no more problems!

Does anyone use Mercedes me? Mine often says my windows are open and I'm wondering if I should ignore this or book it in yet again...

This still seems to be a small party!

I’ve had a few niggles with mine, non of which I’ve bothered sorting because they’ve self sorted mainly

I get the window open thing too on me

Good to know thanks, yeah I've decided to ignore the windows open thing, it's easy to clear after all.

It seems to me that the E43 is loosening up - I did +300miles yesterday at 38.6MPG (I'll have to learn how to post pictures a some point!). I'm not particularly bothered about the MPG - just that it's less petrol station stops needed. Overall a pretty reasonable MPG.

No way, that is very good! Significantly better than I've achieved...

Just an update - might benefit someone else.

Recall: yes, there is a recall on front struts for my E43; MB Milton Keynes confirmed over the phone and then helpfully booked the car for a garage visit (supplying all the relevant codes, etc.). Bad news (for me) is that the parts are on back order and need to come from Stuttgart - so waiting for the garage to phone with a date for fitting.
Start/Stop: Idle hands find work to do ..... so while the garage was hunting for the struts they decided to have a diagnostic on the starter battery and (overnight) decided it should be replaced. Start/Stop works more frequently now.
Driveshaft Leak: Miraculously stopped and it's as dry as a board. Less for garage to tinker with. The seal must have gone through its 'bedding in' cycle (all my previous Mercs leaked through the driveshafts - so a bit of a pattern there)
Consumption: At 11.5K miles engine feels looser (and the higher ambient temperatures help) - Now getting 34mpg on long runs with just as much (if not more) excitement.
Tyres: 2nd PS4S coming up for renewal .... down to 3.6mm. Both on Near-side (must be my tendency to turn right). Off-side 6mm front and 7mm rear.
Overall: Still fantastic fun - long may it continue

Sounds like you've had a few issues! My start stop was working consistently after they replaced the battery. Then I went on holiday for two weeks leaving the car parked. I think that drained the battery significantly as it stopped activating again so I have now recharged it.
Yesterday the up and down motion of the steering wheel when entering/ exiting was replaced with a clicking sound but no motion. The lever to raise/ lower does the same.
Back to the dealership I never wanted to visit again...

My start/stop has been working very well since replacing the battery. Going on holiday next week, so will see what happens after 2 weeks of inactivity.

On a different topic, yesterday I had the recall work done on the front suspension.
Car feels better after it - wife commented that it is much more 'sure-footed' around corners.
I have also noticed a reduction in 'skipping'.
Both observations highly subjective - so please don't take my word as gospel .....
About to change one of the front PS4S's - see if that makes any difference.

Do you find that it wears the fronts more than the rears ? - Seems to do on mine, but it could be the driving style .....

Sorry for the slow response, finally got round to checking the tyres today. Yes my fronts are down to 3 and 4 mills and the rears are at 6. The nearside tyres seem to be wearing faster. Skipping happens at slow speeds at all temperatures, with moderate lock. I have yokohama tyres on mine which I've never heard of, what does ps4s stand for, pirellis?

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Tyres do tend to wear more on the left as our roundabouts are all right hand turns.

Makes sense. Think I must have lucked out with cheaper tyres.
Well, the new PS4S on the nearside front has made quite a difference.
And, as you're down to 3 and 4 mil, you are likely to get the opportunity to splash out on some fresh rubber soon ;-)
I just ordered another PS4S for the offside front - should buy shares in Michelin and Shell.

Walked past my car tonight parked on the drive and noticed all the seat adjustment buttons and the clock and other buttons on the centre console were illuminated. I though perhaps this was just fluorescence but then I double clicked my remote lock button to see what would happen and they all went off. Since I've had my share of the battery being run down I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that and whether I'm doing something wrong or there's a setting that prevents that. Pretty sure the car was locked because otherwise I would have received alerts on my phone, and the car had been parked for a couple of hours. Thanks

No everything goes off in mine. Looks like that could be the cause of your battery drain

Walked past my car tonight parked on the drive and noticed all the seat adjustment buttons and the clock and other buttons on the centre console were illuminated. I though perhaps this was just fluorescence but then I double clicked my remote lock button to see what would happen and they all went off. Since I've had my share of the battery being run down I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that and whether I'm doing something wrong or there's a setting that prevents that. Pretty sure the car was locked because otherwise I would have received alerts on my phone, and the car had been parked for a couple of hours. Thanks
Not had that 'feature' on mine. Yes, it could be the source of your battery drain - since my battery was changed a couple of months ago, everything has been great. One thing - which may be a red herring, but worth checking anyway - is that at the last service they did an 'update' to the car which was not flagged up anywhere on mercedes.me. Maybe worth asking them.
The other option you may want to try is to call the AMG team at Milton Keynes - and see what they suggest; if you have telematics enabled on the car then they may even be able to check it remotely. Might save you a trip to the dealers.

To anyone who owns or has owned an E43, what are you thoughts and opinions? What's good/bad? What options are worth having?

An E43 is on my list of considerations for a new (to me) car.

TIA, David.

Hi David,
Great car goes like stink, negatives its a but bumpy in comfort mode, had to hunt high and low to get a skinny spare tyre, the car does not have it as an option. That said the E400 skinny spare fits front and back. Its suffers from front tyre skipping at parking speeds I suspect the Yokahamas are not great. The infortainment can take a while to fire up and is not brilliantly intuitive, but I am used to it now. Its not touch screen which I prefer. Fuel consumption is 29mpg on the motorway, and it prefers 98ron but will run Ok on 95ron. Boot is great, folding seats great, didnt come with a toolkit annoying, had to buy wheel pin and jack and brace separately. Cabin is hard to fault, I had a Jag before and the Jag does not come close. Engine and Gearbox is superb. If you want a cruiser probably not the best buy, buy an E400 or E350e I would still prefer my old W211 E280 for a long trip. Cheers Vin

I owned this car for just two days, not brand new but it has done about 20k miles, Awesome car always puts smiles on my face, but all happiness went straight to disappointment when started seeing issues within two days started receiving critical battery issues, went to the dealership they found some coding issues which is causing the car to use the battery even when it is locked, which was resolved. In two days now loud bang with a jolt when change driver select from ECO to Sport Plus it was so load that the car in front of me slides his windows to see if i crashed my car.

Break down engineer said that no faults recorded but control unit stopped responding to any updates its getting towed to the dealership again, all this in just two days of ownership, i hope they check thoroughly for any transmission a loud bang means something didn't work as it should, i cant even think of owning this car this without warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom