E63 GearBox Issues Help !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevebgt1

Car
Audi R8 V10 Plus . MRC Tuned 655BHP Larini Exhaust.
I Am posting this on behalf of a friend.

I recently bought a Mercedes E63, 65 plate 14k miles (car was advertised on here).

Long story short I have had the car couple of weeks and driven it myself around 400 miles just under 2 weeks ago I was going on a routine journey when the car broke down. The car started okay, however when I was driving the car it felt sluggish and alittle jerkey it felt like the power of the car was not going through the engine.

Couple of miles into my journey I was waiting at the traffic lights when the car despite being on lost power, I would rev the car and nothing would happen. It was showing a couple of errors on the line of mercedes blind spot inoperative, presafe functions limited and there was another one which I cant remember but it was similiar to what I have listed.

As the car is still in warranty I called out Mercedes breakdown after waiting over 3 and a half hours an RAC technician came out plugged his laptop and the car was showing a couple of P2725 error message which suggested an issue with the pressure control solenodi electrial module. There was nothing he could do to resolve the issue and the car had to be towed to my local Mercedes garage.

The local Mercedes garge checked out the car, initial response I got was the control module might need replacing, I was then told this did not work. They then sent the readings from the gearbox to Germany who advised the gearbox valve body would need replacing. I was told the old gearbox will be sent back to Germany for them to investigate what caused the issue because apparently its not clear.

I am still waiting for the new gearbox to be fiitted. I have made a complaint with Mercedes as I am not happy with the service I have recieved, I am hoping they can compensate by extending the warranty of the car or offer couple of a free services. Can anybody give any advice on how I can push for more?

I have done a google search and havent seen similiar issues on a E63, has anybody else had a similiar issue or is this a one off?

If the valve assembly is showing a solenoid fault then I believe the entire valve body will need to be replaeced and coded to the control module. If they want to send the gearbox to Germany then I guess they may be concerned that the solenoid has failed due to contamination by debris from other damage to gearbox. That seems unlikely though.

I’m not sure why you’re unhappy with the service you’re getting - a replacement gearbox is in line with the warranty provisions, so why do you think that you should get any additional compensation? Did you get a loan car while yours was off the road?

In any case, it doesn’t seem to be a common issue with recent production so I don’t think you’re at much risk of reoccuring but if it did you would have a good argument to say that the replacement wasn’t up to snuff.

Cheers,
Alex

I have made a complaint with Mercedes as I am not happy with the service I have recieved
Any idea what your friend is particularly unhappy about wrt the service he's received? From the description it appears that his car has suffered a breakdown, the local dealer (in good faith, presumably) swapped out a control module that didn't fix the fault and now he's getting a complete new gearbox supplied and fitted under warranty.

On the face of it I don't see a problem, so presumably something else is yanking his chain?

Seems pretty good service to me. Brand new gearbox under warranty after thorough investigation. Isn't that how a warranty works? I'm sure you could have had a loan car if you wished/asked.

I Am posting this on behalf of a friend.

The problem probably lies with the fact that when buying an E63, you are buying one of the best cars on the road and the expectations that go with that.

Unfortunately like some beautiful women, they may let you down from time to time.

Whether you are happy to accept that is another matter!

Just to be clear. This was my car that I sold to a chap in Wakefield. This is his post that he put on Pistonheads. Like you , I dont really know what he is trying to achieve, when MB are replacing the geabox for under warranty.
Of course he rang me to ask if I had ever had any problems with the car, which i hadn`t, and I went on to say that if I had, I would be doing exactly what you are doing now. I appreciate its annoying and inconvenient, but at least he has the comfort of a full MB Warranty.

Just to be clear. This was my car that I sold to a chap in Wakefield. This is his post that he put on Pistonheads. Like you , I dont really know what he is trying to achieve, when MB are replacing the geabox for under warranty.
Of course he rang me to ask if I had ever had any problems with the car, which i hadn`t, and I went on to say that if I had, I would be doing exactly what you are doing now. I appreciate its annoying and inconvenient, but at least he has the comfort of a full MB Warranty.
Sorry for my poor reading skills :).

Anyway, I understand that the valve body / conductor plate has been through three revisions VGS1/2/3) since it was introduced. There were problems with the VGS1/2 solenoids that required replacement of both the valve body and conductor plate, although the VGS3 are more readily repairable. Some more info here:

Mercedes - 722.9 7G-Tronic Valve Body & Conductor Plate - Must Read – MB Medic

I'd say fair play to MB for opting for a compete gearbox replacement rather than replacing the conductor plate/TCU. I'd certainly rather have a zero mile gearbox than a repaired unit.

Any marque can have a problem but MB have done the right thing here. It is unusual with the later cars apparently but these things do happen from time to time. Luckily he isn't having to argue for a goodwill payment - you would have to be pretty brave to self insure with these cars.

Regards,
Alex

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just reading that article, it states VGS1 requires replacement of valve body and electroplate, but for VGS2 onwards :

""In newer units, second generation (VGS2) and third generation (VGS3) can be repaired by replacing the conductor plate and TCU unit only. The new TCU unit needs to be virgin and be married to the vehicle using SCN coding.""

I also understand you can avoid the SCN coding by having the existing plate repaired and refitted, as long as you can leave your car for a few days whilst plate is shipped, repaired and returned.

In any case, these 722.9 boxes were 2005-2009 or thereabouts, followed by the 7G+, surely a 2015 car would have a later version that the article won't apply to.

I agree it looks pretty fair play for MB to be replacing the gearbox valve body after their check. Suspect an unexpected finding has popped up that they want to research further.

I spoke to this chap last night. He now has his car back, new gearbox under warranty, £35.00 refund from recovery company and a free B1 service at the dealer that sorted him out.

He seems quite happy now but not sure whether to keep the car ? I told him, to enjoy this summer in it and decide later in the year when the warranty extension becomes available.....

All is well that ends well eh ?.......

I'd say this guy has had a great result. To get a brand new transmission, when replacing the valve body and conductor plate would have seen a fully functioning gearbox and still under warranty.
Credit to that particular dealer for keeping the customer happy. They certainly couldn't have done more.

As for not keeping the car...........:doh:

I don't really get why you would want to change a car purely because of something like this - unless you have had a change of heart and are worried about potential future bills out of warranty or whatever.

It's got a brand new gearbox which is up to date now so it should be fine!

Buying something else doesn't mean you won't have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom